collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Help the aged.  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Kingthing

Help the aged.
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »

I played Cricket tonight in Kempton Middlesex and I was introduced to the Umpire who is a Villa fan, he's 80 years old and told me that he's been a season ticket holder since the 50's, sadly he's had to give up his season ticket this year as his eyesight is failing him and driving his car in the dark is a struggle.

Apparently when he was at school all the kids in his class had to pick a team and make a scrap book, he was left with Villa and Coventry, he liked the sound of the name and Bobs your uncle. Then a new kid arrived at his school from Birmingham and sat next to him and they started travelling up together when they got older.

I run the Kingston Lions but can't make many home games and usually get to aways which I said I will try and help out with, but he already misses the home games and would love to continue going once in a while, If there is anyone from that area who would be able to offer him a ride it would really mean a lot, he's a great bloke and full of stories.

I'll also post this on the Lions website.

Thanks.   

Offline The Villa Werewolf

• GM : 13.07.2015
Re: Help the aged.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 09:26:03 AM »
Can't help, I'm afraid, but I have to admit I was slightly amused by the fact that somebody with failing eyesight is still umpiring cricket matches :-)

Offline Kingthing

Re: Help the aged.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 01:50:36 PM »
Can't help, I'm afraid, but I have to admit I was slightly amused by the fact that somebody with failing eyesight is still umpiring cricket matches :-)

At one point I called to him to give me middle for my guard, I shouted "Fred" and looked towards the pavilion and cupped his ear.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal