collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Talktripe  (Read 18259 times)

Offline Vic the Villian

Talktripe
« on: September 02, 2014, 12:22:08 PM »
Just a question but do Villa fans think we get a raw deal from talksport and do you think it's about time we got a new sports radio that is less big 5 and
more of all premier league, and to be honest don't the presenters talk tripe.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Talktripe
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »
They appeal to their market - London, Liverpool and Man United. Beyond that they could not care less.

Online dekko

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 12:29:53 PM »
They're also massive wind-up merchants because nobody would listen to a mild mannered station that offends nobody.  I used to hate-listen but it wasn't doing my blood pressure any good.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »
My biggest issue, and we have done this subject before, is the genuinely appalling intelect of their "expert" ex sports "stars".

Mickey Quinn is as intelligible as a termite eating its own excrement, Darren Gough must have been hit on the head by a few cricket balls as he seem incapable of any coherent though, Jason Cundy - enough said. It gets very trying.

I listen when Danny Murphy is on - he is a good listen.

Offline Vic the Villian

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:36:17 PM »
Yes I Agree with you and I only listen because its the ONLY major football related Sports station. 5 live is Good but not always football.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »
Yes I Agree with you and I only listen because its the ONLY major football related Sports station. 5 live is Good but not always football.

Pat Murphy is always worth a listen - used to think he had a Villa-shaped chip on his shoulder but realised he just saw through the Lambert/Lerner bluff

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:41:25 PM »
He still has an anti Villa chip on his shoulder.  The Clough/Forest/ONeill combo appears to be perfect to him, and nothing will convince him otherwise.  Continues to wax lyrical about MON even today and how we miss him. 

Online dekko

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »

Pat Murphy is always worth a listen - used to think he had a Villa-shaped chip on his shoulder but realised he just saw through the Lambert/Lerner bluff

Pat Murphy is simply a good sports journo who asks tough questions and doesn't care who he pisses off.  He was interviewing the england cricket captain yesterday and was critical enough to really wind him up too.

Its a shame that he stands out because IMO every journalist's job should be all about being critical and asking questions that the powerful might not want to answer.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »
It's a real mix of personalities isn' it? I think some of the presenters are pretty decent (Colin Murray, Danny Kelly, Paul Hawksbee even Adrian Durham who seems to be on less of a wind-up mission these days) but then you veer to the ridiculous with morons like Alan Brazil and Jason Cundy. There's not even any correlation with their co-hosts. Brian Moore and Ray Wilkins are both quite insightful and interesting, whilst Dominic Cork comes across as a middle-aged man desperately trying to pretend he's a lad. Then there are the likes of David Ginola and Neil Warnock, who you're never really sure actually know where they are. Bizarre.

It could be a really good station, but I think it tries too hard to be all things to all men, and I find myself switching over more than I listen.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 12:54:35 PM »
Just a question but do Villa fans think we get a raw deal from talksport and do you think it's about time we got a new sports radio that is less big 5 and
more of all premier league, and to be honest don't the presenters talk tripe.
well yes agree, but manu fan base is massive so have to include them liverpool arent far behind, and then you have london, where there based so thats the mechanics of it.

Collymore ups our profile, but more mind boggling for me is on the basis of the talksport mechanics, radio wm and brmb (whatever their latest name is) ignoring the mass market for clubs who in all intent and purpose will be out of existence in twenty years time.

our fan base might not be that of manu or liverpool but we are by far the biggest club in the midlands.

go figure

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 12:56:28 PM »
Haven't listened to it in years, last time I did some knob bleating racist shite made me vow never to let it darken my airwaves again.

Offline RunRickyRun

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 01:04:45 PM »
Its a shame that he stands out because IMO every journalist's job should be all about being critical and asking questions that the powerful might not want to answer.

Couldn't agree more. Too much sports journalism is about breaking transfer stories that generate clicks rather than asking the questions that matter.

Throw in a real story like operacion puerto and they attack the journalists doing the real work so that they can continue to be fed the clubs' official line.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 01:29:29 PM »
United/Liverpool/Arsenal/City/Chelski/Spurs ad infinitum

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »
When we were always finishing sixth under O'Neill, their content was aimed towards focusing on the top four.   Now we are (currently) no longer finishing top six they seem to have extended their focus to the current top six.   

Behind the scenes I have no doubt that the London clubs plus Man Utd/City and Liverpool have a little cartel going with the media - I'm sure they are grouping together to maximise their profiles and exposure.   A case in point is the way NBC have marketed football in the US since they got the contract - everything seems to revolve around those six clubs.

It'll be interesting to see if the media alter their approach when Spurs do their eventual crash and burn.  Likewise it'll be interesting to see if they take us seriously in the event of a major takeover.   Hopefully the appointment of Tom Fox will set in motion more ambitious and switched-on approaches to raising our media profile.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 01:45:40 PM »
I like Collymore on there, him and Mark Saggers can be a good listen and on the rare occasions that i've heard him, Sam Matterface has been ok as well. After that, i'm struggling.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal