collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:52:22 AM]

150 celebrations by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:41:56 AM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 11:41:17 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by chrisw1
[Today at 11:40:35 AM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 11:32:10 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 11:26:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:24:30 AM]

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 11:01:23 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Transfer Window - The Verdict.  (Read 26982 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: The Transfer Window - The Verdict.
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 11:46:34 PM »
Yesterday's deadwood is today's fine mahogany. Bent Hutton Zog given.
#2ndchance

I'll give you Hutton but if the other three weren't here nobody would notice except Randy's bank manager.

Offline Summers

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 11:46:53 PM »
No, it doesn't. But it's part of the business we did in the summer, and uses some of our budget.

So it counts

What does?
Was in reply to whomever said keeping hold of Vlaar and Delph doesn't make us stronger.

I don't see it as making us stronger, but keeping some of the strength we had.

But not selling them is not using up any of our summer budget.

Getting them to sign new contracts, maybe, but they haven't actually done that.

That part is more hopeful of new deals.

Keeping them is good business, is my general point.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 11:53:29 PM »
Cissokho and Senderos look a lot better than the players they replaced. Sanchez offers physical presence but is going to take time to get used to the game. Richardson is a better addition to the squad than Kea. Joe Cole is a leech. With the exception of Cole the other additions seem solid enough.
However I expect us to be utterly humiliated in the next four games and be brought back to reality pretty quickly. One injury to Vlaar and suddenly Baker is next in line shows how weak the squad is.
Very disappointing how we didn't add any attacking options over the summer. Plenty of better players available on loan that what we have available.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2014, 11:58:27 PM »
So predictably, Lerner had got away with spending nothing and we've marginally strengthened thanks to the freebies - defence being the major beneficiary - which really couldn't possibly be ignored.

A great window for Lerner but a poor one overall for the supporters of Aston Villa.

We should be ok so long as we don't get any injuries or suspensions - that's what it boils down to.   

Online tomd2103

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 11:59:17 PM »
Cissokho and Senderos look a lot better than the players they replaced. Sanchez offers physical presence but is going to take time to get used to the game. Richardson is a better addition to the squad than Kea. Joe Cole is a leech. With the exception of Cole the other additions seem solid enough.
However I expect us to be utterly humiliated in the next four games and be brought back to reality pretty quickly. One injury to Vlaar and suddenly Baker is next in line shows how weak the squad is. Very disappointing how we didn't add any attacking options over the summer. Plenty of better players available on loan that what we have available.

To think he could be in the back line for the upcoming run of games is the stuff of nightmares.  I can just picture him now head in hands after giving away an own goal / penalty / goalscoring chance.  To be fair, Okore should be next in line, but I'm not sure what the situation with him is at the moment. 

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 12:02:09 AM »
Underwhelming signings that won't shift many tickets but as a unit we look much stronger.

Just need Benteke back.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 12:02:33 AM »
Very disappointed not to get someone in today. Think we did well defensively but still feel underwhelmed.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 12:05:50 AM »
5/10. Better defence and midfield. Somewhat underwhelming window yet again. Zero ambition from the club yet again. Lerner has zero imagination in the market; no wonder ST sales are low and crowds have dropped to 28k....

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 12:06:25 AM »
Ok, we're better off in experience and not numbers. We're missing that link from midfield to attack we desperately needed. That might not be so apparent when Benteke is fit and raring to go. When that will be I don't know. Jack might come in and be that link, again, who knows. I would have liked at least one more tonight.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 12:10:11 AM »
If we go on to have a reasonable season after spending 7 mill in the window

Will that not show clubs owners that it can be done and bottom half type clubs don't have to spend millions on Mcarther, Long, and a host of other average players for mega millions +wages

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2014, 12:10:31 AM »
No,    I thought not

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2014, 12:12:16 AM »
5/10

We  are stronger than last season since a few of lamberts crap signings have gone and he brought back the perm experience  we already had.

I think we have enough quality to survive this season but if we had just got two signings in especially a creative one we could have pushed up to  half way.

Joe Cole was a stupid signing .   

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2014, 12:25:49 AM »
It does prove that the story that broke mid summer about a transfer budget including wages if 10m wasn't fhat far off the mark.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2014, 12:28:04 AM »
If we go on to have a reasonable season after spending 7 mill in the window

Will that not show clubs owners that it can be done and bottom half type clubs don't have to spend millions on Mcarther, Long, and a host of other average players for mega millions +wages

I think that if we do have an improved season it'll be more to do with the signings plugging gaps in our side making it a better all round unit, therefore allowing our better players to do a bit more to win us games.

I think I'd give the window 6/10.  On the main solid signings given our budget constraints, but nothing 'sexy' that you can't wait to see in a Villa shirt.

I think Joe Cole will be one of those signings that in a few years most people will have actually forgot ever played for us.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2014, 12:38:39 AM »
3/10. Swat team have nothing to do with this window.

Sum up my feelings after the SSN spunkfest in 2 words you say?

Naive. Unambitious.

P.S. i want hutton to revert to his old self and two foot TC23 (That C**t x 23) in the face. May have to play Hutton in a reserve game just to achieve this. I'm glad he's been slaughtered and made a scapegoat now. Glad he didn't come though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal