collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Coming up Press-ently  (Read 2812 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Coming up Press-ently
« on: August 26, 2014, 01:28:09 AM »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Coming up Press-ently
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 02:00:31 AM »
nice article. With those September fixtures in mind, I'd rather get them out of the way early than have to play some of those sides in full stride in December/Jan. I don't think it will be as bad as it looks because if nothing else we can fire out a surprise or two.

Oh and in the penultimate paragraph "dared hope for" is written twice.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:06:49 AM »
nice article. With those September fixtures in mind, I'd rather get them out of the way early than have to play some of those sides in full stride in December/Jan. I don't think it will be as bad as it looks because if nothing else we can fire out a surprise or two.

Agree Monty and apart from Chelsea and Manchester City, I haven't seen anything from the other sides that we should be overly fearful of, especially if our improved defensive form continues.  A comfortable win on Wednesday, a win against Hull and a couple of additions before the window "slams shut" (Jim White - SKY Sports News) and I think we can approach those upcoming games without trepidation.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 12:03:48 PM »

Agree Monty and apart from Chelsea and Manchester City, I haven't seen anything from the other sides that we should be overly fearful of, especially if our improved defensive form continues.  A comfortable win on Wednesday, a win against Hull and a couple of additions before the window "slams shut" (Jim White - SKY Sports News) and I think we can approach those upcoming games without trepidation.

Ahem...Monty? I'm flatterred off course ;)

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »
I too agree with myself. I haven't said anything yet, which makes it easy.

As regards the style of play, I think staying in the league with as little fuss as possible until we're taken over is the best way forward. I'm really impressed with the genuine defensive solidity shown in the first two games, and when the strikers come back our quick counter-attacking will start to look more of a threat. Boring, midtable, goal-a-game, last-on-MOTD football is what we need this season.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 12:59:28 PM »
Another good read Dave.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 01:02:36 PM »

As regards the style of play, I think staying in the league with as little fuss as possible until we're taken over is the best way forward. I'm really impressed with the genuine defensive solidity shown in the first two games, and when the strikers come back our quick counter-attacking will start to look more of a threat. Boring, midtable, goal-a-game, last-on-MOTD football is what we need this season.

Agree Monty (apologies for early mix up Toronto!!).  We've been too much of an easy touch the last few seasons and the very minimum I hope we can achieve this season is that we become a harder team to beat.  There is obviously a lot of work to do in the final third, but if we can remain solid at the back and keep clean sheets on a regular basis then we'll always have a chance of nicking games.   

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 01:36:10 PM »
It would be nice to be a team who pisses everyone else off for the right reasons.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 02:28:40 PM »
I'd take a season of limited volatility to be honest. Grind me out 10th, some great cup runs, and build from there.

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »
I'd take a season of limited volatility to be honest. Grind me out 10th, some great cup runs, and build from there.
Sums up my thoughts for this season.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 04:21:20 PM »
I think the Hull match will be tougher than you think though.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 01:45:59 PM »

I pretty much said exactly the same to my pal last night.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal