collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we got a good squad?  (Read 16123 times)

Offline Londonvilla

Have we got a good squad?
« on: August 19, 2014, 10:07:09 PM »
Have we got a good squad?

I live in London and was asked at work, by a West Ham fan whether I thought, as he did, that we would have a squad which was good enough for the top half of the premiership. I replied no we have average players, who were capable of performing well against the big-money teams but played poorly against everybody else. He responded by saying he thought the Villa squad on paper looked solid, because it had a mix of youth and experience, and now had  big hard men at the back, a hard tackling midfield player, and a big hard bloke upfront, whereas last season we had only one big hard man at the back, light weights in midfield, and a big bloke upfront.

Thinking about it and looking at the squad I find myself beginning to get a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. I recognise the feeling I think it’s what top doctors, scientists and philosophers call hope.

Let’s look at the squad.

Brad – is in the top five goalkeepers in the division

Alan Hutton – was probably one of the worst footballers I’ve ever seen, yet never moaned or slagged off the club and his performance in preseason was fantastic.

Philippe Senderock – when we signed him I nearly burst into tears, after his performance at Stoke I nearly burst into tears but this time, tears of joy. If he can perform at this level, most of the season I for one will be a happy man.

Ron Vlaar – concrete has enhanced his reputation due to his World Cup performances the issue is which club will come in for him before the transfer deadline window closes.

Jores Okore – just watched the highlights from the reserve game, this man is some player and will be better than concrete and Senderock. If Ron does go then we have a ready-made replacement.

Aly Cissokho – how rubbish was he for Liverpool, and how good was he against Stoke? His crosses from the left were fantastic

Ashley Westwood – we’ve seen glimpses of what Ashley is able to do, but now that he may get to play further forward his accurate passing will be something I will be looking forward to seeing.

Fabian Delph – I predict this man will be in the England team for the next European Championships. You heard it here first.

Kieran Richardson – I’m happy with his work rate, I’m happy with his crossing, he’s versatile and can fit into a number of positions. At the end of the day you can’t complain if a player gives you 100%.

Charles N’Zogbia – still looks a little chunky, but he has started to pass the ball to another player in a Villa shirt something he failed to do consistently when he was last in the side. If he can become a team player I will be more than happy to see him get a year’s extension of his contract.

Jack Grealish –OMG just watched the reserve team game and Jack was like young Ronaldo and Lionel Messi rolled into one (if you don’t believe me watch the highlights) please sign him up on a 10 year contract. Jack you were born in England and you can still play international football for England, please help us win the World Cup

Christian Benteke – if he had been playing against Stoke we would have won three nil. With the right support he will score 20+ goals this season.

Our backup and support players are not that bad:

Carlos Sánchez – La Roca could be the difference between turning losses into drawers and draws into wins if he plays anywhere near how he  played in the World Cup.

Andreas, Gabby and Joe Cole all have an important role to play this season

Nathan and Ciaran both can’t be in the team at the same time but people forget that they’re still quite young for defenders.

Gary Gardner, Callum Robinson and Graham Burke are young but very very good players

Anyway I’m not going to go through all of the players but when you look at our first-team and some of the squad players you have to admit that you start to dream.

You must remember supporting Aston Villa is a privilege; however also remember it’s the hope that kills you.

Have we got a good squad? No but we are getting closer

Comments………..

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Have we got a good squad?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 10:11:03 PM »
No.

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:16:47 PM »
Thanks Olaftab...For putting so much effort into your reply. Your ability to express yourself in writing is a joy to behold, and worthy of Shakespeare, Emily Brontë, and JK Rowling.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 10:20:27 PM »
If we get in the 2 most rumoured, in Sinclair and Holtby to add to what we have, I reckon 12th should be the minimum expectation.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 10:22:37 PM »
The three you have mentioned  wasted their life. I have no intention of doing that. :)

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:25:07 PM »
If we get in the 2 most rumoured, in Sinclair and Holtby to add to what we have, I reckon 12th should be the minimum expectation.

But will they hold back Jack Grealish?

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 10:25:58 PM »
Are the highlights for the reserve game on AVTV then?

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 10:26:55 PM »
Definitely better than last season.

(And I'm trying not to get too carried away by Saturday's performance/result! Our new "solid" team did well against a "solid" team with little or no flair... I hope the players who did so well on Sat continue to do so, particularly the defence, but they will meet tougher, better opponents in September)

Ever the optimist!!???!!

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 10:27:57 PM »
Are the highlights for the reserve game on AVTV then?

Yes.... watch them you will be very happy with the job that Sid is doing

Offline john2710

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 10:30:55 PM »
No.
But it's better than last year.
My only concern is who will score the goals we need?

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 10:33:57 PM »
No.
But it's better than last year.
My only concern is who will score the goals we need?

Darren Bent???
fingers cross

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 10:43:28 PM »
Solid squad. Not enough creativity though. We appear tougher physically and seem more capable of defending. More grown men in the squad, which is good. The last two signings need to be both hard working and creative. Personally, would like Holtby and Zaha as they would be an improvement on last season. Third year for Lambert. At last he seems to be cottoning on to what many people on here have been saying, experience,physicality, creativity.

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 10:48:41 PM »
Solid squad. Not enough creativity though. We appear tougher physically and seem more capable of defending. More grown men in the squad, which is good. The last two signings need to be both hard working and creative. Personally, would like Holtby and Zaha as they would be an improvement on last season. Third year for Lambert. At last he seems to be cottoning on to what many people on here have been saying, experience,physicality, creativity.

Great post but experience,physicality, creativity equals £10-15 million, have we got it /will we spend it?

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »
--------------Guzan
--------------Given

Hutton----Vlaar----Senderos-----Cissokho
Lowton----Okore----Clark---------Bennett

---------Delph-------Sanchez
---------Westwood---Richardson

Gabby------------------------N'Zogbia
Bacuna--------------------------Cole

---------Benteke-----Weimann
---------Bent---------Kozak

Plenty of versatile and on their day quality players there & El Ahmadhi, Baker on the fringes

and two very good up and comers in Grealish & Gardner

I'm full of enthusiasm at the moment, add another one or two new signings and we'll soon see why we were right to stick with Lambert

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal