collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ing forward  (Read 3081 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Press-ing forward
« on: August 18, 2014, 01:27:07 AM »

Offline clash city rocker

Re: Press-ing forward
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:57:28 AM »
It would be great if we could embrace the coming season rather than fear it.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:59:54 AM »
Good read and that is the best i have seen Villa for a few games just hope we can keep it going

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:06:39 AM »
I completely agree, the team do look 'harder to beat'.
Bring it on.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »
I think the point about the 'fluke' is fair.

Last season we won 4 or 5 games having been largely outplayed and being honest barely deserved a draw let alone a win - Southampton away and City away being the most obvious examples.

Not only that it was the way we were comprehensively beaten by the good / half decent teams - Spuds, Everton, Manure, Sturke and Newcastle.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 11:58:47 AM »
Great article again DW - sums things up perfectly.
I'm actually looking forward to the season with a little less trepidation than a week ago.
UTV!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 12:19:18 PM »
"...since they battered their way into the Premier League eight long years ago."

*Six years ago.  They must feel even longer ;)

Offline Pegsandduds

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 12:20:26 PM »
From the Guardian (fuels my optimistic outlook):

9) Keane can help restore fire to Villa bellies

Aston Villa have bagged some relatively high-profile signings this summer and, if Joe Cole, Kieran Richardson and Philippe Senderos perform at their best, and Carlos Sánchez can adapt quickly to English football after impressing for Colombia in the World Cup, then with Christian Benteke to come back from injury in October, they may just be comfortable this season as the search for new owners is stepped up. But just as important as the new players might be the addition of Roy Keane in the dugout. Rarely can an assistant manager have had his name chanted as Keane’s was at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday as Villa deservedly won 1-0 thanks to a wholehearted and disciplined performance. It is ironic as Villa seek to stop the rot that started with Martin O’Neill’s departure four years ago, two of his protégés are leading the challenge: Paul Lambert, his captain at Celtic, and Keane, now his assistant with Ireland.

Lambert seems to be troubled by very little ego so will not mind if Keane’s name is chanted as long as Villa are winning. He paid full tribute to his new right-hand man’s pedigree after a victory that bore many of the hallmarks that made Keane the warrior he was as a player. “He’s been brilliant for us,” Lambert said. “Anybody who’s seen him play a game of football knows how much he wants to win. The game’s all about winning; the more games you win, the better you become.”

Referees will not give 50/50 decisions against Villa lightly. Every one that went Stoke’s way on Saturday – and there were a few 40/60s as well – Lambert, no shrinking violet himself, and Keane were out into their technical area (what a misnomer that is, by the way – it is more a shouting cage), asking Anthony Taylor to think carefully about repeating such folly. Then the fourth official would get a glare for good measure on their way back.

Keane seems to be the kind of character who can help return fire to Villa’s bellies. And surely, working alongside O’Neill for a while now, on the TV gantry then the international arena, he will have learned when to bark and when to bite his tongue compared with the young manager who promised so much at Sunderland before failing at Ipswich Town. No one will bully Villa lightly. Their players made sure of that on the field and Keane followed suit from the touchline. When Mark Hughes attempted to shout Weimann to get off the field more quickly as the Villa matchwinner was substituted, Keane simply laughed at his former Manchester United team-mate. You can imagine him asking whether Hughes would have hurried off if he was winning. When the Stoke manager was asked what their banter had entailed, Hughes replied: “I was having a go at his player, not at Roy – I’m not that daft!” Villa fans will take pride from this refusal to lie down without a fight and it could come in handy in the challenging months ahead in what is certain to be a transitional season.

Offline mjravfc

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »
A good article. For the first time in years, I wasn't left with a sick feeling inside during injury time. It was just an assured, comfortable, dare I say 'routine' win.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »
I hope the sense of determination and "fire" mentioned above (whether provided by Keane or the extra experience) becomes a feature of our play this season.
Was surprised by the possession/attempts stats.
I thought Stoke had the majority of the play but not that much.
We looked much more assured and purposeful on the ball than they did and could easily have had one or two more goals. "assured" indeed, mjravfc!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 12:59:35 PM »
Good article Dave.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 01:02:30 PM »
Agree with most of the article, but we have to get over this thing about fluke wins last season.  Even if they were fluke wins you still shouldn't be grumbling espically when they came against much better teams than us.   In the case of the City game it seems like we showed some good fighting spirit.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »
Reasonable

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 01:31:35 PM »
Good article. Restrained optimism, which is perhaps for the best at this embryonic stage of the season.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »
Duly FB'd and Tw*ttered.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal