collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: "Header Killed Six Villa Heroes"  (Read 3969 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
"Header Killed Six Villa Heroes"
« on: August 14, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »
Saw this headline on the board advertising the Birmingham Mail today but couldn't be arsed to go in the shop and buy one as I'd just lit a cigarette.

Does anyone know what they're on about? Can't find anything on their website.

Guessing that maybe it might be linked to the Jeff Astle case but not sure. If that's the case I reckon it should say "Headers", not "Header".

Offline martin@ardenley

• Administrator
  • GM : 01.01.2024
Re: "Header Killed Six Villa Heroes"
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 06:31:15 PM »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 06:49:27 PM »
Thanks. Obviously I should've tried looking a little harder on the site, assumed it would be top story.

The cases are obviously sad, even though many on here don't like Albion, it's clearly upsetting to think that their Cup Final hero couldn't remember who he played for in his final years. I imagine the families of Johnny Dixon and others would have similar upsetting stories. I don't doubt that heading a ridiculously-hard ball contributed massively to the mental problems experienced by the players late in their lives.

What I still don't really get, is what is the case about? If it is just "raising awareness", then I don't really understand what it will achieve as footballers don't play with similar balls now so there is no need to explain any of the problems to prevent possible future occurrences.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 07:36:49 PM »
I started a post but won't. Ignore me.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 11:56:16 AM »
It's obvious that there was a problem, and as players get older the extent will become wider known.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 12:02:31 PM »
It's obvious that there was a problem, and as players get older the extent will become wider known.

I think Tony Hateley also suffered from this awful disease in his final years.Terrible for those left behind but with the lighter balls they use now hopefully the number of cases should drop considerably.

Offline ez

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 10:50:37 AM »
I attended a stadium tour and dinner at villa park shortly before christmas. The guest speaker was Chris Nicholl. He mentioned that he is now suffering with brain damage.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 12:31:26 PM »
Without wishing to belittle the circumstances that a handful of ex-footballers and their families find themselves in, there are hundreds and thousands of people whose latter days have been blighted by the ignorance/laissez-faire attitude to health and safety that was the norm throughout their working lives.  Where's the headlines for the many who, for example, will have suffered permanent disability or illness  through working in the West Midlands' metal-bashing industry?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal