collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New programme design  (Read 7165 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: New programme design
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »
Found a pic of the flares one, it wasn't a big prog though. And that stand, what a thing of beauty *cries*

Wonderful.
Just 'how of it's time' is that?
Exactly what I was thinking- it just screams '1970's' at you

Or 2000s at the Stripeys.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »
Ha!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 02:56:07 PM »
He's wearing heels?!

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2014, 03:29:26 PM »
Compared with some of the glossy crap you get at some clubs in the name of a programme, ours consistently impresses me with its content and presentation and has for a few years now, no matter what the design. I imagine a lot of that is down to Rob Bishop who I met a few years ago when he did a feature on my nephew's first visit to VP (he had been unwittingly and unfortunately named Doug Ellis) and I wrote to mention the fact as perhaps a small item to include in said programme.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »
Rob Bishop has done a couple of articles for me (for friends / relatives). He's a smashing bloke and a villa fanatic.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2014, 03:35:59 PM »
Found a pic of the flares one, it wasn't a big prog though. And that stand, what a thing of beauty *cries*

Wonderful.
Just 'how of it's time' is that?
Exactly what I was thinking- it just screams '1970's' at you

Or 2000s at the Stripeys.

Have you still got that bag Dave?

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2014, 06:23:55 PM »
Rob Bishop has done a couple of articles for me (for friends / relatives). He's a smashing bloke and a villa fanatic.
Absolutely agree Silhill; he wrote back straight away and said they would do a feature on it. So I took Dougie and his Dad and we met the other Doug Ellis in the exec block. He was actually pretty charming, saying 'Now who is it who's called Doug Ellis? That's a bit of bad luck isn't it.' But Rob Bishop was genuinely brilliant all day. And the photos and article featured in the next programme.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:25:51 PM by martyn ellis »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2014, 08:00:32 PM »
I agree about Rob. When I was dealing with him for when I was in the prog he was a really nice bloke.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2014, 08:02:50 PM »
Rob Bishop is a true gent. Even though he cut me out of the afore-mentioned article!

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2014, 08:14:36 PM »
The 1968/69 programme is one of my favourites. It was still the smaller programme size before going to the larger match day magazine format.
Lots of memorable games in the second half of that season.

fucking hell Andy that is my first ever game !!!!  :)

as a 6 year old, I believe Barrington Hole scored the first goal I saw down the Villa....cheers for the memory mate UTV

If I remember correctly did they not include The Football League Programme which baulked up your reading material so it filled the then full 10 minutes of half time? Pretty sure that this fairly weighty insert was also in full colour, can anyone confirm or am I going completely doolally flip flop?

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2014, 08:45:13 PM »
The 1968/69 programme is one of my favourites. It was still the smaller programme size before going to the larger match day magazine format.
Lots of memorable games in the second half of that season.

fucking hell Andy that is my first ever game !!!!  :)

as a 6 year old, I believe Barrington Hole scored the first goal I saw down the Villa....cheers for the memory mate UTV

If I remember correctly did they not include The Football League Programme which baulked up your reading material so it filled the then full 10 minutes of half time? Pretty sure that this fairly weighty insert was also in full colour, can anyone confirm or am I going completely doolally flip flop?

The Football League Review. Was as many pages as a programme and in colour. As far as I remember it ran from the mid 1960s to the early 70s. Said a shilling on it but you got it included.

Offline steamer

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2014, 08:50:21 PM »
I think this a great innovative idea.
As a kid in the 60,s collecting programmes was a passion, if I missed or lost one I would be at Villa Park looking for the back issue.
In the 70,s same story except now I went to away games, most of my away collections are creased from being rolled up in my pocket.
In the 80,s my dad sent me all the home game programmes, along with his biro notes for team changes and goal scorers.
Not sure if today I would buy a programme. With the internet etc, I would probably subscribe to H.V
Will miss the hard copy and am considering signing up for electronic version.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2014, 11:32:22 PM »
Good idea, and a nice design.  Keeping the price at two pounds should prove decent value too.

Some of those shirt statistics were a bit shocking mind.  Collymore the most EVER? WTF :-[

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2014, 12:01:05 AM »
Good idea, and a nice design.  Keeping the price at two pounds should prove decent value too.

Some of those shirt statistics were a bit shocking mind.  Collymore the most EVER? WTF :-[

Only Parma was £2. For league games it is £3 as usual. Although at least the club have kept it at the price for 6 years now.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2014, 09:36:46 AM »
The programmes middle to late sixties were excellent (unlike the team) with the Football League Review included for nothing. The best value for money programme we have ever had. And very professional.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal