collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New programme design  (Read 7196 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: New programme design
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 10:31:26 PM »
The progs in the late 70s early 80s were massive.

They were. Crikey I had hundreds and hundreds of programmes from the 70s all the way to the mid 2000s till I come to my senses and stopped buying them. I threw the lot into a skip after a clear out. I've regretted it ever since.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 10:34:18 PM »

They were. Crikey I had hundreds and hundreds of programmes from the 70s all the way to the mid 2000s till I come to my senses and stopped buying them. I threw the lot into a skip after a clear out. I've regretted it ever since.

I was talking to sources close to the club recently and they said not long ago someone contacted them to say he had a complete set going back about forty years and because he'd lost his job he was selling them. He said he'd accept something like £4,000 from them. They didn't have the heart to tell him you'd barely get a tenth of that.   

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 10:34:31 PM »

We had loads of them as well. So many got lost or damaged during various house moves.

Anyone remember the cover with the fella massive flares and wearing loads of badges? For some reason that cover, plus on with Tommy Craig on the cover has always stuck in my head. Both were the big programme version iirc.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 10:36:14 PM »

I was talking to sources close to the club recently and they said not long ago someone contacted them to say he had a complete set going back about forty years and because he'd lost his job he was selling them. He said he'd accept something like £4,000 from them. They didn't have the heart to tell him you'd barely get a tenth of that.   

Depends if it was aways as well, and how complete. The odd few are worth a bomb, most you'd struggle to get a quid for.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 10:37:35 PM »

Depends if it was aways as well, and how complete. The odd few are worth a bomb, most you'd struggle to get a quid for.

It was just homes.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 10:40:03 PM »
Poor bugger.

There's reason you can buy the new one on match day in a bag with a bunch of old progs for a fiver. Which is what I do on the very very rare occasion I buy one. Although I did buy a few copies of the one I was in last season.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »
Poor bugger.

There's reason you can buy the new one on match day in a bag with a bunch of old progs for a fiver. Which is what I do on the very very rare occasion I buy one. Although I did buy a few copies of the one I was in last season.

They also said that they've done well with that - three back issues against the club we're playing plus the current one. The trouble is that they've now run out of Liverpool/ManYew/Spur and the like and have thousands of Middlesbrough/Derby/Blackburn. 

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 10:42:27 PM »
Found a pic of the flares one, it wasn't a big prog though. And that stand, what a thing of beauty *cries*

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 10:47:48 PM »
Hi Andy Lochhead.

There were some memorable games in the second half of 68/69.

The programme you depict was for the Boxing Day game vs Cardiff City -and that was one of them!

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 10:48:09 PM »
I haven't bought a Villa programme for years now but I always used to like the way we'd present the section on the visiting team. Every other club in the land would do the usual 1 to 22 squad line up with a brief profile of the player. Very boring. Villa would always have a well researched write up of what had happened to the club over the last 12 months or so, and it was far better than anything I saw from any other club in the land. I think it was one of the reasons we're were always in the top 2 of the best programmes in the country (along with Everton, usually).

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »

We had loads of them as well. So many got lost or damaged during various house moves.

Anyone remember the cover with the fella massive flares and wearing loads of badges? For some reason that cover, plus on with Tommy Craig on the cover has always stuck in my head. Both were the big programme version iirc.

Remember the little club shop outside the Trinity? Back in the 80s you could buy a selection of old programmes in a brown paper bag.  I wonder if they still sell the old ones.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 11:15:57 PM »
Found a pic of the flares one, it wasn't a big prog though. And that stand, what a thing of beauty *cries*

Wonderful.
Just 'how of it's time' is that?

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 08:34:14 AM »
The 1968/69 programme is one of my favourites. It was still the smaller programme size before going to the larger match day magazine format.
Lots of memorable games in the second half of that season.

fucking hell Andy that is my first ever game !!!!  :)

as a 6 year old, I believe Barrington Hole scored the first goal I saw down the Villa....cheers for the memory mate UTV

Offline Damo70

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 01:46:38 PM »

Tommy Craig was being talked about by Jeff Stelling on Soccer Saturday last Saturday. They said he was taking on his first managerial job at the age of 61 at St. Mirren (I think it was St. Mirren). Then somebody contacted them to say he had managed a Belgium club for a short while a couple of years ago. I only buy a programme these days because my son wants one. Back in the days when I used to buy one myself I was flicking through one day and saw my name written in bold letters. It was a message to me from Terry Weir. I had written to him to ask for a copy of a couple of photos he took of myself and a fellow H&V poster at Nigel Spink's testimonial forum. One of us with SGT and another with Andy Gray, Peter Withe, Allan Evans and Spink. The message in the programme was that I was welcome to some copies (he didn't want any money for them), but it would be helpful if I could get back in touch and actually let him know my address this time!

Offline Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 02:43:20 PM »

Wonderful.
Just 'how of it's time' is that?
Exactly what I was thinking- it just screams '1970's' at you

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal