collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:40:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 12:38:12 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 1981 Charity Shield Villa vs Spurs  (Read 6119 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: 1981 Charity Shield Villa vs Spurs
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 02:34:02 PM »
My main memories are seeing a few Spurs fans getting chased and taking a right kicking under the Villa end, and I mean a real violent kicking, and shitting myself. Well I was only 11. And as we were staying in London dad having the bright idea we'd get the tube back. Which was all (or seemed to be to 11 year old me) Spurs fans and us, a family of 4. I think I shit myself again on the journey back to London.

There was a moody atmosphere that day PWS.

I stayed put at half time but 2 of my mates went down to the bar / toilets. Apparently loads of Spurs fans came round from the other end of the ground and there was a royal rumpus for a couple of minutes. Some of the lads from our estate also said there was fighting on the car park after that game.

We were at the ground early (my first Villa game at Wembley) and a couple of hundred Spurs fans charged the Villa fans on the steps up to the turnstiles.  One idiot threw a full can of lager at us which my mate caught and drank. There was also a reasonable sized mob of Spurs fans in the lower section of the tunnel end (Villa end) for the whole game.

Mark Falco - one of those bloody players who always scored against us.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 08:43:01 PM »
I wonder why they didn't go to penalties back then, anyone know?

I checked here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FA_Community_Shield_matches

Interestingly the 1974 Liverpool v Leeds (Bremner v Keegan) game was decided on penalties but then 5 times it was shared before it went to penalties again from 1993 onwards.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:45:06 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 08:55:49 AM »
Sadly not. My old man says he is too old to be driving a caravanette all over Europe these days.

*Boom Tish*

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 05:43:37 PM »
Not a very enjoyable day out from what I remember, completely different to a cup final. As Pat said above there was a strange atmosphere that day, though I don't decall any major trouble. We got in just before kick off and were stuck right up at the back. My abiding memory of the game, apart from the first Falco goal right in front of us, was what a shit hole Wembley had become. I'd been before in 75 and 77 but by 81 it really was falling apart.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 06:59:40 PM »
My main memories are seeing a few Spurs fans getting chased and taking a right kicking under the Villa end, and I mean a real violent kicking, and shitting myself. Well I was only 11. And as we were staying in London dad having the bright idea we'd get the tube back. Which was all (or seemed to be to 11 year old me) Spurs fans and us, a family of 4. I think I shit myself again on the journey back to London.

There was a moody atmosphere that day PWS.

I stayed put at half time but 2 of my mates went down to the bar / toilets. Apparently loads of Spurs fans came round from the other end of the ground and there was a royal rumpus for a couple of minutes. Some of the lads from our estate also said there was fighting on the car park after that game.

We were at the ground early (my first Villa game at Wembley) and a couple of hundred Spurs fans charged the Villa fans on the steps up to the turnstiles.  One idiot threw a full can of lager at us which my mate caught and drank. There was also a reasonable sized mob of Spurs fans in the lower section of the tunnel end (Villa end) for the whole game.

Mark Falco - one of those bloody players who always scored against us.

I must have been close to you because that was my exact memory of the day regarding the trouble before the game.

I remember travelling down in 2 cars with 7 other mates and someone thinking it was a good idea to through a can of lager from one car to another on the M6!

Offline littlevillain

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 10:31:29 PM »
remember it well. a large mob of spurs came round the villa end before kick off and the villa backed off before a group of kingstanding villa lads had a go at em and they dissapeared. Trouble in the villa end throughout the game and half time.

Offline damien

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 09:12:56 AM »
Don't often post on here, but thought I would share this.

The 81 Charity Shield. Where does one begin?  As a 10 year old growing up in Hertfordshire I had only attended one other match. That was at Vicarage Road to see my local team Watford play Newcastle.

The charity shield started a love affair with Villa that endures to this day. I have followed the club prolifically home and away ever since. Some of my best mates are Brummies. I am a regular in the Villa Tavern and the Aston Social, and my kids are Villa fans.......well 2 out of the three anyway.

I do sometimes wonder why my old man decided to take me to this game. He didn’t support Villa or Spurs. Our family had no affiliation with Birmingham or the West Midlands.  He will admit to admiring that Villa team of the early 80’s though. He still talks fondly of Ken McNaught to this very day.

Anyway, without getting too misty eyed. This is the game that started my love affair with Aston Villa. That love has never wavered since that grey afternoon under the Twin Towers.

I can’t remember any of that moodiness that people talk about. I was probably oblivious to it. My main recollection was staring in complete awe at the magnificence of Gary Shaw as the players strolled on the pitch beforehand. Sadly, he didn’t play as I recall.

My favourite season in the last 32 years:
The season in Division 2 under Graham Taylor(87-88) when my Dad started taking me to games regularly. He loved Sir Graham Taylor because of his time at Watford, and for a brief spell my old man facilitated me following the Villa.  I would often tell my folks I was going to town with my mates and get the train to New Street from Hemel or Watford for £6.50 return. That was to watch such idols as Warren Aspinall and Steve Sims.

Least favourite season: The season under Alex McLeish. An honorable and nice man but it was soul destroying to witness.

So many other memories of the last 30 odd years. I often wonder what might have been if my Dad hadn’t taken me to this match. I would no doubt be supporting Arsenal or Watford like all my other mates.  I will admit to still having a huge soft spot for the Glory Hornet boys though.

UTV

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 09:27:29 PM »
Don't often post on here, but thought I would share this.

The 81 Charity Shield. Where does one begin?  As a 10 year old growing up in Hertfordshire I had only attended one other match. That was at Vicarage Road to see my local team Watford play Newcastle.

The charity shield started a love affair with Villa that endures to this day. I have followed the club prolifically home and away ever since. Some of my best mates are Brummies. I am a regular in the Villa Tavern and the Aston Social, and my kids are Villa fans.......well 2 out of the three anyway.

I do sometimes wonder why my old man decided to take me to this game. He didn’t support Villa or Spurs. Our family had no affiliation with Birmingham or the West Midlands.  He will admit to admiring that Villa team of the early 80’s though. He still talks fondly of Ken McNaught to this very day.

Anyway, without getting too misty eyed. This is the game that started my love affair with Aston Villa. That love has never wavered since that grey afternoon under the Twin Towers.

I can’t remember any of that moodiness that people talk about. I was probably oblivious to it. My main recollection was staring in complete awe at the magnificence of Gary Shaw as the players strolled on the pitch beforehand. Sadly, he didn’t play as I recall.

My favourite season in the last 32 years:
The season in Division 2 under Graham Taylor(87-88) when my Dad started taking me to games regularly. He loved Sir Graham Taylor because of his time at Watford, and for a brief spell my old man facilitated me following the Villa.  I would often tell my folks I was going to town with my mates and get the train to New Street from Hemel or Watford for £6.50 return. That was to watch such idols as Warren Aspinall and Steve Sims.

Least favourite season: The season under Alex McLeish. An honorable and nice man but it was soul destroying to witness.

So many other memories of the last 30 odd years. I often wonder what might have been if my Dad hadn’t taken me to this match. I would no doubt be supporting Arsenal or Watford like all my other mates.  I will admit to still having a huge soft spot for the Glory Hornet boys though.

UTV

A nice story.

Just think you could have been a gooner and enjoyed the Wenger years!

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 06:38:43 PM »
Just remember what utter wankers the Spurs fans were from start to finish.

Walked into a pub near the ground and it was rammed with both sets - 3 of us said sod it and decided to go to an offie - walked out and seconds later the windows started going through as all hell broke loose. General nastiness and threats going in the ground and then surrounded by a dozen them on the way back to the station.

They played the "talk nice first" ploy and then took the piss out of Peter "Wyve" continually - My mate was chatting oblivious as I waited for the fun to start - out of the blue his Dad appeared (the broadest 6' 4" Brummie on Earth) and it all changed ;-)

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 06:49:17 PM »
I was at the game, I can't recall any bother, it must have passed me by.  We found a pub some way away from Wembley and had seats towards the front, tunnel end Royal Box side.  We must have all been well behaved that day for some reason.  Or horribly pissed.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 10:00:45 AM »
Was at the game. Lot of running battles outside wembley before the game. Was only young at the time so found it all a bit scary at the time.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »
Was at the game. Lot of running battles outside wembley before the game. Was only young at the time so found it all a bit scary at the time.
[/quote

That's what I remember from mid-70's onwards - lots of running!
Someone would run at us and we would run away until we met more Villa and then we would run back at them until they mobbed up more and we would run, repeat... It was only hen some div fell over or was too drunk to get out the way that anything happened

I vividly recall the match against Sheffield Utd when we beat them 5-1 - the two sets of fans ran each other up and down Witton Lane for an hour.
My mate Shukes got fed up and finally just stood about halfway by a lamp post and took the odd swipe as they ran past

PS

Don't tell the kids

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »
I can actually remember aggro at a reserve game back in about 1980. Reserve game v millwall , lot of running and people jumping on their toes on Aston Hall Park. Night game so that made it even moodier.

Online Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 07:51:26 PM »
Running and the old Wembley. Well before the 75 League Cup final kickoff a crowd of Nowich supporters had got themselves trapped in a cul de sac at the bottom of a hilland were trying to 'run' the villa fans at the top of the hill to get back onto the main drag to the match.Obviously they could never do it and were chased back-everytime. Good fun for five minutes but pretty boring after that- however it was on the route from the football special station so Villa almost had a relay going where people drifted off to be be replaced by new arrivals who would continue where they left off-often wonder how long those Norwich fans were trapped and how many miles they ran in the end!

Online Rico

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 11:02:01 AM »
It might be my memory playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall a flag going up in the Spurs end with a picture of the Villa lion taking an axe to the Spurs cockerill. It all kicked off unsuprisingly after that. Does anyone else remember it, or is it just me.  Anyway,  something else I remember was that it was a record attendance at the time for the Charity Shield of about 93,000.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal