collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aly Cissokho - sold  (Read 55801 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Aly Cissokho - sold
« on: August 08, 2014, 04:17:40 PM »
There is probably enough smoke around this one now for it to deserve it's own thread:

Sky sources understand that Valencia defender Aly Cissokho is having a medical at Aston Villa.

The France international left-back was on loan at Liverpool last season, and now looks set for another stint in the Premier League.

The 26-year-old former Lyon man earned his one international cap in 2011 and moved to Valencia the following year after spells with Porto and Vitoria Setubal.

He would fill a hole in defence for Villa manager Paul Lambert, who has already signed Joe Cole, Philippe Senderos and Kieran Richardson this summer.

Villa are believed to have agreed a fee in the region of £2-3m for Cissokho, who had two years remaining on his Valencia contract.

He made 15 Premier League appearances for Liverpool last season but the move was not an unmitigated success, and he did not feature a great deal during the title run-in.

Another left-back for our collection.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:09:25 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Aly Cissoko
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 04:21:35 PM »
MON had the blind spot for RB, and to a lesser degree strikers, Lambert seems to have one with LB. At least he realises it is a position that needs sorting. Which is something I suppose.

Hopefully if Thong Song signs he will be a success for us.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 04:32:33 PM »
Bienvenue a Villa Park Aly. Forget the 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' you are with a proper club now.

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 04:33:07 PM »
I saw him play for Porto ages ago and he was really good, hopefully he can recapture that form. Apparently he wasn't very good for Liverpool but here's hoping!

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 04:34:57 PM »
Right....So, it seems Richardson is going to be our new star midfielder, right? Enda the road for Stephens and/or Gordon Bennett being shipped out somewhere on-loan.

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:55:45 PM »
I think Stevens contract expires in Jan so he'll be off then if not before. 

Offline supertom

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 05:02:50 PM »
His display against us last season was the most inept performance I'd seen all season (including our players). That said, it was one game and his track record can't be a fluke. He's been at some big clubs.
Surely he's going to be better in the long term than Luna, Stevens and Bennett.

At least it proves we're willing to spend a bit of money I suppose.

If it goes through, welcome aboard, good luck. Hopefully he'll be followed with 1-2 decent midfielders of a similar standing.

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 05:05:25 PM »
I wonder if we'll start off with 4411 given our lack of decent signings and Lambo's newfound fondness for genuine full backs.

Offline supertom

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 05:06:05 PM »
Right....So, it seems Richardson is going to be our new star midfielder, right? Enda the road for Stephens and/or Gordon Bennett being shipped out somewhere on-loan.

At least it'll give us options on that left side I suppose. A back four and Cissokho can play fullback with Rico ahead as a wide man. Alternatively Rico at wing back and Cissokho could possibly play LCB in a back three.

If those two mean we don't have to scrape by with Bennett or Stevens, then all the better.

But for the love of god Lambo...midfield! Sort the midfield!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 05:06:31 PM »
His display against us last season was the most inept performance I'd seen all season (including our players). That said, it was one game and his track record can't be a fluke. He's been at some big clubs.

If it goes through, welcome aboard, good luck. Hopefully he'll be followed with 1-2 decent midfielders of a similar standing.

Even worse than Lugano?

Offline Kevin Dawson

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 05:35:47 PM »

He's been at some big clubs? So have Senderos, Cole and Richardson......

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 05:35:53 PM »
At least it looks like we're trying to pay money for someone! He used to be highly rated.

Offline Tuco Salamanca

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 05:44:09 PM »
Was shocking each and every time I saw him for Liverpool last season.

Hopefully he'll recapture some of his Porto/Lyon form otherwise we have another left-back turkey on our hands.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 05:49:03 PM »
well we have signed plenty of players in the past who had looked good for there former clubs and turned out to be complete tossbuskers

so maybe signing someone who has been shit already will work in the opposite way

this is all I have i'm afraid

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 06:08:22 PM »
From what I saw of him last season he's crap.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal