collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Samir Carruthers joins MK Dons  (Read 10702 times)

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Samir Carruthers joins MK Dons
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 04:50:09 PM »
He was better than Herd I thought, but maybe not quite good enough for the top flight (not that it's stopped Baker and Clark getting lots of games).

A completely different type of player to Herd though. I think he's just found his level. Good luck to him.

Not really, Carruthers has played in central midfield the last few times I've seen him play, which is Herd's position.

Except that one's very much an attacking midfielder / winger and the other very much a defensive midfielder / centre-back / right back. They're not comparable players in the slightest.

Carruthers started out as a winger and ended up being much more of a central midfielder. Are you seriously trying to suggest that Herd is a right-back or central defender?

What nonsense.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 04:50:15 PM »
He had a bad injury last season. I think another season out on loan would have been better. I'm sick of all these youth players never stepping up or not being given the chance.
Its something the club need to sort out.

If you're sick of both them not getting the chance, and them getting the chance but not stepping up, what are the club meant to do about it?

The number of youth team players who make it at a Premier League club is truly miniscule, the odds are always going to be stacked against them.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 04:51:35 PM »
He was better than Herd I thought, but maybe not quite good enough for the top flight (not that it's stopped Baker and Clark getting lots of games).

A completely different type of player to Herd though. I think he's just found his level. Good luck to him.

Not really, Carruthers has played in central midfield the last few times I've seen him play, which is Herd's position.

Except that one's very much an attacking midfielder / winger and the other very much a defensive midfielder / centre-back / right back. They're not comparable players in the slightest.

Carruthers started out as a winger and ended up being much more of a central midfielder. Are you seriously trying to suggest that Herd is a right-back or central defender?

What nonsense.

If I hadn't watched Villa since Alex McLeish left I might think that you had a point.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 04:51:50 PM »

I've always thought of him as a winger, well a wide player anyway. Definately not a centre mid and nothing like Herd at all.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 04:54:18 PM »
does anyne know if we got any money for him? and if so does that put us in positive equity for this transfer window? im still asuming we didnt pay for Richardson

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 04:55:41 PM »
The fee is undisclosed but described as 'nominal. much like the Richardson deal. I wouldn't imagine that we've about broken-even in terms of fees so far this summer.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 05:03:16 PM »
my daughters boyfriend is a MK dons fan, and watches them regulary
he said Carruthers was the best player they had at the Dons last season until he got injured

not saying he was good enough for the prem as I have never seen him play, but he was plenty good enough at this level

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 05:05:40 PM »
He had a bad injury last season. I think another season out on loan would have been better. I'm sick of all these youth players never stepping up or not being given the chance.

If you're sick of both them not getting the chance, and them getting the chance but not stepping up, what are the club meant to do about it?

The number of youth team players who make it at a Premier League club is truly miniscule, the odds are always going to be stacked against them.

I have always found it hard to believe that any manager worth his salt would go out of his way to stop a player from coming through the clubs academy. First it's essentially free and allows him to spend his limited resources elsewhere, and two in the most part it is hugely popular with the supporters. It's hard breaking into a PL first team squad as it should be and much of it is down to attitude which is what I was alluding to with my earlier comment on Carruthers. Not that he has a bad one, but that he couldn't elevate himself sufficiently to make the grade. And it could be that he isn't good enough right now, but if he has the talent and the mental strength he can come back from this disappointment and make a good career for himself down the road.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 05:14:07 PM »
attitude issues? He seemed to show ability but you have to be dedicated too even when the chips are down.

or maybe he doesn't want to play in our reserves, and instead wants to play first team football at a club which is arguably on the up. big stadium, growing crowds and has a good chance of being in the championship soon.

could be playing against us next year...

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 05:15:16 PM »

I have always found it hard to believe that any manager worth his salt would go out of his way to stop a player from coming through the clubs academy. First it's essentially free and allows him to spend his limited resources elsewhere, and two in the most part it is hugely popular with the supporters. It's hard breaking into a PL first team squad as it should be and much of it is down to attitude which is what I was alluding to with my earlier comment on Carruthers. Not that he has a bad one, but that he couldn't elevate himself sufficiently to make the grade. And it could be that he isn't good enough right now, but if he has the talent and the mental strength he can come back from this disappointment and make a good career for himself down the road.

That's the other point, lots of players experience this, don't make it at big club after coming through the ranks, drop down a division or two, work their way back up.

Good luck to him.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 05:27:15 PM »
I'm fuming about the decision (If he turns out to be good)

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 05:42:38 PM »
attitude issues? He seemed to show ability but you have to be dedicated too even when the chips are down.

I'd go with this, him and Grealish both went out on loan last year to clubs where they'd be expected to look a class above if they were ready for the premier league; Grealish regularly did, Carruthers rarely did.  Given that Carruthers is older and had premier league appearances under his belt where he looked like he had the talent to make it you have to assume that there's something not quite right there, attitude and specifically the will to really push on is the normal culprit.

I think he was playing well at Franchise before he did his cruciate.

Disappointed he didn't get a chance here, don't think Lambert really rated him.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 05:43:45 PM »
Can't say I'm that bothered other than it's another example of one of our seemingly better younger players not really making it. Given the club's business model this has been a failure significant issue!

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 05:49:36 PM »
Might have been worth another season. Certainly has skill but possibly has attitude problems which could be why Lambert hasn't given him
much of a chance.

Might be another John Gidman . Didn't make it at Liverpool but boy did he come good at Villa Park.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 05:50:11 PM »
Not every youth player makes it though. Say around 5-6 breakthrough each year then usually only 1-2 are still there a few years later. Not just us but majority of other clubs. To me this harks back to the 2002 youth cup winning team and people automatically thinking every single member of that team would be a villa regular, it just dosen't happen in the real world.

From the 2010 crop Weimann, Baker and Clark are all still here wether they're good enough or not. Grealish I'm sure will get chances this season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal