collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What the **** is going on?  (Read 14900 times)

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Re: What the **** is going on?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2014, 10:16:33 AM »
I'm bloody excited. We're going to be ace!

Couldn't agree more. I shall be astonished if we don't win the title at least. Ideally I'm looking for the domestic treble.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 10:23:27 AM »
Well, we've already won a trophy at Houston.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 10:25:57 AM »
Well, we've already won a trophy at Houston.

Seeing as how Man U are counting the thing they were given from their friendly tournament as Van Gaal's first trophy I think the pot we received in Houston definitely counts.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 10:44:10 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11014601/Aston-Villa-owner-Randy-Lerner-to-free-up-money-to-strengthen-squad-ahead-of-new-Premier-League-season.html

Hopefully we should see some new signings soon.

Without being a complete pessimist, in todays market, what exactly will the 10m he is freeing up get us? The issue with signings in recent years has been the amount of squad filler we have bought. Some have worked out, some havent so im not going to pick that apart. I think with the return of the bomb squad lads combined with the free transfers the squad is big enough....we now need real quality that can win us games and I dont believe you will get much of it for 10m.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 10:44:59 AM »
Burnley WBA and us to go is 40/1. For insurance purposes may have £30 on it.

The Albion are actually strengthening

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 10:49:13 AM »
They'll still finish below us.

We're strengthening too though. We may not be Bayern Munich, but our squad's stronger than last season.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 10:57:03 AM »

I reckon they have about three players who I would put in our first XI.

If you squads remain the same and Albion finish above us then Irvine will have done a better job than Lambert.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 11:12:31 AM »

I reckon they have about three players who I would put in our first XI.

If you squads remain the same and Albion finish above us then Irvine will have done a better job than Lambert.

I think I'd agree with that. I would take Lescott, Morrison and probably Olsson (regrettably) into our starting XI, with Beharino and Foster at a push. We still have a better starting XI, player for player.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2014, 11:22:20 AM »
I think I'd agree with that. I would take Lescott, Morrison and probably Olsson (regrettably) into our starting XI, with Beharino and Foster at a push. We still have a better starting XI, player for player.
I'd have said Lescott, Mulumbu and whichever of Morrison or Sessegnon is currently on form.

I wouldn't swap Guzan for Foster, Berahino for Kozak or Benteke and certainly not Olsson for Vlaar.

One thing on West Brom this season, they'd better hope they're safe by the end of April - their last five are Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle (away), Chelsea and Arsenal.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:35:33 AM by Dave »

Offline RussellC

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »
I'd have said Lescott, Mulumbu and whichever of Morrison or Sessegnon is currently on form.

I wouldn't swap Guzan for Foster, Berahino for Kozak or Benteke and certainly not Olsson for Vlaar.

I'd have Vlaar, Lescott and Olsson in a back 3 and would consider playing Berahino in place of either Gabby or Weimann. I'd be happy with either Guzan or Foster, don't think there's anything between them.

It does raise an interesting question though - do you think there's the potential for Benteke and Kozak to form a successful partnership, or will Kozak largely be used as Benteke's understudy when both fit?

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 11:33:40 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11014601/Aston-Villa-owner-Randy-Lerner-to-free-up-money-to-strengthen-squad-ahead-of-new-Premier-League-season.html

Without being a complete pessimist, in todays market, what exactly will the 10m he is freeing up get us? The issue with signings in recent years has been the amount of squad filler we have bought. Some have worked out, some havent so im not going to pick that apart. I think with the return of the bomb squad lads combined with the free transfers the squad is big enough....we now need real quality that can win us games and I dont believe you will get much of it for 10m.

I'm pretty certain that £10m will get us a better Centre mid duo than KEA and Westwood. That's what I'm hoping.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 11:39:30 AM »

I'm pretty certain that £10m will get us a better Centre mid duo than KEA and Westwood. That's what I'm hoping.

The worry would be that it's the same manager who bought that pairing that would be spending the money again.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »
I'm confused. Is this 10 million quid the same 10 million quid that Lambert was supposed to have at the start of the window, or is it an extra  10 million quid.?

Offline RussellC

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 11:45:03 AM »
I'm confused. Is this 10 million quid the same 10 million quid that Lambert was supposed to have at the start of the window, or is it an extra  10 million quid.?

Different. We blew the first £10m on insuring Joe Cole.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:50:16 AM by RussellC »

Offline IamLegend

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2014, 11:47:26 AM »

I'd have Vlaar, Lescott and Olsson in a back 3 and would consider playing Berahino in place of either Gabby or Weimann. I'd be happy with either Guzan or Foster, don't think there's anything between them.

It does raise an interesting question though - do you think there's the potential for Benteke and Kozak to form a successful partnership, or will Kozak largely be used as Benteke's understudy when both fit?

James Morrison and Olsson. Is this a joke?
Morrison has one good game in 20, and that is only if one of his 100 shots hits the back of the net for once.

Olsson has been dire for 2 years now, maybe even 3.
Living of past reputations outside the club, but all my mates lost faith in him a long time ago.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal