collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leeds  (Read 22729 times)

Offline Gregorys Boy

Re: Leeds
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 10:16:13 PM »
So the owner is bringing in the players and the manager has to put up with it?
Even Herbert wasn't that power mad.

From day one the managerial appointment smacked of giving the job to someone who will be so grateful for the position he will keep quiet and do as he is told.

I think he just pulled his name out of the hat.  Surprised he had even heard of him.

Online Damo70

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 11:34:14 PM »
So the owner is bringing in the players and the manager has to put up with it?
Even Herbert wasn't that power mad.

From day one the managerial appointment smacked of giving the job to someone who will be so grateful for the position he will keep quiet and do as he is told.

I think he just pulled his name out of the hat.  Surprised he had even heard of him.

I think he went on Football Manager or Championship Manager or FIFA where, as opposed to a tenth placed finish in non league with Forest Green Hockaday actually won the Champions League with them.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 02.05.2019
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »
They're aiming high.
They just signed Kasper Sloth from newly relegated AGF Aarhus.

His name's pronounced Slot, but from what I can remember, the English pronunciation might be more appropriate.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2020
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2014, 11:11:16 PM »
They've sacked their manager again. Losing to Bradford is seemingly beneath Leeds. Lambert should be glad he's got Lerner covering his back.

Online manic-road

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2014, 11:29:53 PM »
I can't believe Leeds have sacked the manager today, I thought they would have sacked him two weeks ago.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2020
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2014, 10:21:30 AM »
You know who would be great for Leeds................. Sven

Online Damo70

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
Rolando Maran is the favourite. At least he has managed in Serie A with Catania. Although he was sacked in April after five straight defeats and with the team bottom of the league.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2014, 12:22:54 PM »
Not sure if he has a job right now, but I am going to punt for Adie Botryd (fuck knows how you spell it!) to be the next Leeds manager.  But yeah you are right Redsox it does have Sven written all over it and I know who would be more entertaining out of the two, if not the more successful ;)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
For me there is only one Leeds, there is a certain aura about them. Even the name is beautifully symmetrical, with five letters in each word.

Dirty Leeds.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
Leeds - LSD and two 'E's.

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2014, 05:01:15 AM »
When I think of Leeds, I think of goths. 

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »
For me there is only one Leeds, there is a certain aura about them. Even the name is beautifully symmetrical, with five letters in each word.

Dirty Leeds.

In an age when almost anything short of actually breaking someone's leg would rarely yield as much a "booking," Don Revie's teams were top of the league in dishing out blatently intentional violent conduct as a normal part of their game. Talented players such as Norman Hunter, Billy Bremner, Jack Charlton and Johnny Giles as well as others, were gratuitously violent as a matter of course. The trophies they won were won largely by systematically disregarding the laws of the game.

Dirty Leeds indeed.

Offline fredm

• GM : 28.01.2020
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2014, 10:00:34 PM »
And yet they had enough talent within the squad to have won trophies without resorting to those tactics. I often wondered what would have happened if Shankly had been at Leeds and Revie at Pool. I think Shankly's "you lot can wipe the floor with these, they are in there frightened to come out" attitude would have made them into a fearsome team.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2014, 10:04:18 PM »
And yet they had enough talent within the squad to have won trophies without resorting to those tactics. I often wondered what would have happened if Shankly had been at Leeds and Revie at Pool. I think Shankly's "you lot can wipe the floor with these, they are in there frightened to come out" attitude would have made them into a fearsome team.

Indeed. My dad, whose love of football at its finest almost extended to quite liking the Albion, used to love them. He took me to see them one night at Wolves and I remember that even though I was only about eight or nine they were magnificent. As he put it "If they'd kicked the ball into the car park a Leeds player would have been there for it." And as fredm said, Shankly made Liverpool's players believe everyone else was afraid of them, Revie was afraid of losing.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 23.01.2020
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2014, 10:31:13 PM »
When Villa set sail for the lower divisions I chose Leeds as my 1st Division team, partly because they weren't Liverpool or Man Utd and everyone else hated them but mostly because they could really play. Giles, Gray, Cooper, Clarke, Jones, Lorimer, and even Hunter were good footballers. Brittle as hell though.