collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dictatorial Villa?  (Read 24466 times)

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Dictatorial Villa?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 01:05:29 PM »
So would it have been possible to say "Gareth Barry is a wanker" when he dragged the club through the gutter press? and iflet's say Vlaar went on strike to force a move would we only be able to say that his attitude let's him down?

Yes :)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 01:07:01 PM »
If the club was saying they can't be critical then I would be much against it, but it strikes me that the key words are abusive and harassment.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 01:42:33 PM »
If the club was saying they can't be critical then I would be much against it, but it strikes me that the key words are abusive and harassment.
dThat all depends on who is making the decision, one mans critical is another mans abuse.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 01:45:32 PM by bertlambshank »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 01:46:37 PM »
dThat all depends on who is making the decision

I'd hope that whoever it is would know that saying "Hutton is a prat" or after a defeat saying "well that was shit" is very different to some of the stuff we see on the FB page, and even on here at times.

Offline LTA

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 02:11:19 PM »
I read what they are saying as "you will not be abusive".  Not "you will not criticize".  Sadly we live in a world now where people can barely construct a sentence without swearing and being vile.

A story blown out of all proportions if you ask me, but not good PR from Villa.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 02:13:38 PM »
I read what they are saying as "you will not be abusive".  Not "you will not criticize".  Sadly we live in a world now where people can barely construct a sentence without swearing and being vile.

I think that sums it up. This story has obviously been on the go since May and the club could have killed it in that time but as they often seem to do, have waited until it's been made public so they're now on the defensive.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 02:23:51 PM »

I think that sums it up. This story has obviously been on the go since May and the club could have killed it in that time but as they often seem to do, have waited until it's been made public so they're now on the defensive.

Although on the go since May I would imagine that things take time finalise during the close season.  I should imagine that The Mail have not been sitting on this one as they are usually very quick to have a go at Villa, but there again!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »
From reading the article, isn't part of the problem that the club has issued a set of rules to a group of volunteers who are not even employees of the club?   

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 02:45:17 PM »
From reading the article, isn't part of the problem that the club has issued a set of rules to a group of volunteers who are not even employees of the club?   
Thats not a problem in itself, most if not all voluntary groups would have the same rules.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 03:43:23 PM »
The Villa haven't covered themselves in glory tbf. At one point prior to the drawing up of the rules they were blocking customers season tickets. My son and I were unable to use our tickets for the Man U home game last year.

If that happened to me in any other part of my life I wouldn't go near VP again. Some of the people quoted, despite their disaffection, were still in Gronegan yesterday. The club don't deserve our support.

There were no official trips to Holland yesterday, supporter groups made their own way. In part organized by supporter club chairmen. What do Villa do exactly to help their most loyal supporter base?

Nothing is the answer.

We're just waiting it out for the new broom to show!

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2014, 03:53:08 PM »

Although on the go since May I would imagine that things take time finalise during the close season.  I should imagine that The Mail have not been sitting on this one as they are usually very quick to have a go at Villa, but there again!

The deadline for signing up was July 31st - which is why it is a story now. The refusal to sign back up has happened this week.

The line about abuse v criticism needs clarifying better, because it's obvious that fans aren't going to sign up to not being able to say 'That was shit' when it was shit. It is open to question whether this could be considered abusive. It is going to be difficult because many fans do just want to let of steam in the wake of a bad performance, or during general malaise - it hasn't traditionally been the case that fans need to be considered about how they do this, and ensure all criticism is constructive.

The uk Lions clubs have also been in dispute over the spending of the away supporters money. They feel the free coaches didn't really work for them, the money they received was inadequate within the scheme of things, and that building a profit line into the free coaches wasn't in the spirit of the initiative. So - yes - it has been building for a while.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 03:57:08 PM »
Part of the problem is the ludicrous emphasis placed on social media, which means that many organisations in all walks of life are over-zealous about what's said and by whom.

Offline cdward

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2014, 04:25:51 PM »
That would be down to context, I suggest.

In the middle of a match thread, if he wasn't playing very well, it's about his performance. He can do better.

On a general discussion, if it's stated baldly about him as a human being, it's personally abusive.  Not a lot of room to find anything constructive there!

Now you're splitting hairs.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 04:56:30 PM »
That would be down to context, I suggest.

In the middle of a match thread, if he wasn't playing very well, it's about his performance. He can do better.

On a general discussion, if it's stated baldly about him as a human being, it's personally abusive.  Not a lot of room to find anything constructive there!

Now you're splitting hairs.
I hope the dispute doesn't lead to a parting of the ways.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 05:37:15 PM »
More bollocks from the mail dredging up boilerplate language about being abusive. Who cares?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal