collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pre-Season vs Chesterfield (A)  (Read 29824 times)

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
Re: Pre-Season vs Chesterfield (A)
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2014, 07:49:47 AM »
Not really. Perhaps I'm being pessimistic, but the players we have signed are totally uninspiring on top of a squad that was probably the worst we have seen in thirty years...
We`ve flirted dangerously close to relegation for 3, possibly even four seasons now (i firmly believe we would have gone if we hadnt signed DB). so while everybody else is buying and strengthening their squads, we sign has-beens/cast-offs and rejects, effectively we`re going backwards, anyone looking forward to this season is deluding themselves and swallowing the marketing bullshit that the Club, The Premiership, and Sky now trot out round the clock, me, after 40 years, i`m done with it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:53:52 AM by martin o`who?? »

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2014, 08:34:59 AM »
The way it's going Grealish should be a starter. I know we need to be careful with him and we shouldn't get carried away. But he has it. Whatever it is. He has it.

Grealish needs to be on the bench as a second half replacement for Joe Cole.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #212 on: July 31, 2014, 08:51:12 AM »
Or even a first half replacement.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #213 on: July 31, 2014, 09:20:23 AM »
From what I saw last night, Grealish can become a very good player if he keeps his feet on the ground and carries on working at it. Where they play him though will be interesting because he seemed to float around everywhere last night.

I've quite liked the look of Donacien whenever I've seen him, there's potentially a decent centre half there. I still don't quite get why Lambert seems to think Herd is a centre half though because he's not.

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #214 on: July 31, 2014, 09:22:45 AM »
We started with our 3rd choice 11 so can't be too upset with that.

Offline supertom

« Reply #215 on: July 31, 2014, 10:12:42 AM »
We should have put a stronger side out really. Some players need to really be working their fitness. Bent and Gabby look heavy and could have done with a half each. I know they suffer niggles and you have to be careful, but 45 mins each wouldn't have hurt them.

I'm not sure we'll see the likes of Carruthers, Johnson, Burke and probably Donacien anywhere near the first team next season. I see why we'd give Grealish and Robinson game time, as they'll most certainly have a part to play, particularly early season in Robbos case.

Ultimately the difference in quality between a L1 side and ourselves last night, particularly with the first half line up, was negligible.

Positives for me last night were Robinson who looked lively, though faded. Grealish looked very good. He's a very clever footballer and he just seems to glide with the ball. Never seems fazed with the ball at his feet. Will that translate to a big time Premier League game? I hope so.

N'zogbia showed flashes of why he'll be a useful player. As frustrating as he can be with blind runs, sloppy play and erratic end product, one run in five he goes on normally ends in a good chance, or in the case of last night, a goal. He's one of the few players we have who can do what he does at his best. He's comfortable running with the ball at speed and he's unpredictable. It may result in immense amounts of frustration, but the brilliance in between that can unlock games. I think he's going to be important for us in terms of survival. We can't just rely on Benteke for flair. We need another unpredictable element to turn a 0-0 into a much needed victory, or to grab a point when defeat looks on the cards.

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #216 on: July 31, 2014, 10:16:01 AM »
The dustbins and the
We started with our 3rd choice 11 so can't be too upset with that.
stewards sounds like!

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #217 on: July 31, 2014, 10:17:24 AM »
Its a blow, but not a big one.   Was always going to be tough playing so soon after arriving back from the states.  Will get a better picture maybe in the friendlies to come.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #218 on: July 31, 2014, 10:23:29 AM »
I didn't have any problems with the side we put out, I half expected it. They've just flown to America, played two games in exhausting heat, sat on another 10 hour flight back and a few of them would have most likely suffered jet lag. Carting them all off to Chesterfield then flying them to Holland would have been too much. We don't want to knacker them out before the season starts.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #219 on: July 31, 2014, 10:27:45 AM »
We should have put a stronger side out really. Some players need to really be working their fitness. Bent and Gabby look heavy and could have done with a half each. I know they suffer niggles and you have to be careful, but 45 mins each wouldn't have hurt them.

I'm not sure we'll see the likes of Carruthers, Johnson, Burke and probably Donacien anywhere near the first team next season. I see why we'd give Grealish and Robinson game time, as they'll most certainly have a part to play, particularly early season in Robbos case.

Ultimately the difference in quality between a L1 side and ourselves last night, particularly with the first half line up, was negligible.

Positives for me last night were Robinson who looked lively, though faded. Grealish looked very good. He's a very clever footballer and he just seems to glide with the ball. Never seems fazed with the ball at his feet. Will that translate to a big time Premier League game? I hope so.

N'zogbia showed flashes of why he'll be a useful player. As frustrating as he can be with blind runs, sloppy play and erratic end product, one run in five he goes on normally ends in a good chance, or in the case of last night, a goal. He's one of the few players we have who can do what he does at his best. He's comfortable running with the ball at speed and he's unpredictable. It may result in immense amounts of frustration, but the brilliance in between that can unlock games. I think he's going to be important for us in terms of survival. We can't just rely on Benteke for flair. We need another unpredictable element to turn a 0-0 into a much needed victory, or to grab a point when defeat looks on the cards.

I'm getting worried with all this reasoned comment and good sense evident on this site.

Offline supertom

« Reply #220 on: July 31, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »
I didn't have any problems with the side we put out, I half expected it. They've just flown to America, played two games in exhausting heat, sat on another 10 hour flight back and a few of them would have most likely suffered jet lag. Carting them all off to Chesterfield then flying them to Holland would have been too much. We don't want to knacker them out before the season starts.
To be fair, nobody should have to go to Chesterfield. Ever.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2014, 10:39:01 AM »
Lambert's said that they have been suffering from Jet lag on the o/s, that's why he made the changes

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #222 on: July 31, 2014, 11:20:17 AM »
I think some of the reactions to a friendly defeat with a team of youngsters is totally out of proportion. Not just here but on other platforms too. Perhaps it's a generation thing but I'm really starting to hate what the game has become. It's just  a sensationalist, instant gratification load of bollocks, which has turned into a closed shop for the few clubs at the top. Even if we get bought out we can't go crazy and repeat what Chelsea did because the financial rules and as Southampton have found, get a half decent team together and it gets ripped apart by the big clubs so really it's just a waste of time.

Online frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2014, 11:49:06 AM »
Disappointed with Carruthers, Bennett, Lowton and Gardner...almost expected Tonev to be poor, and he was.
As others have said, Grealish looks good and N'Zogbia gives us a bit of hope if he can have plenty of the ball and stay interested. Still not convinced by Bacuna and could Guzan have had a worse game?
From what I've seen so far it looks like Hutton at RB (!!!!!) and LB still a problem if PL is playing Richardson further forward as he seems to have done so far. Come back soon Ron!

Took me nearly 4 hours to get there and back just before midnight.
Fun times!
Walsall will be a doddle!

Online stubbsyandy

« Reply #224 on: July 31, 2014, 11:58:52 AM »
This should prepare us well for our exits from the cups this season...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal