collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Clubs you are/were glad to see the back of  (Read 18417 times)

Offline Gregorys Boy

Clubs you are/were glad to see the back of
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:59:37 AM »
For whatever reason, be it our shocking record against them, personally dislike of them, style of play, horrible ground/area etc..  What clubs that have gone down which you have been glad to see the back of?

Dealing with the Small Heath one first, when they were thrashing us every season during the Brucie years then I was pleased to see the back of them, but more recently when the roles were reversed I was more than happy for them to stay up as long as they wanted. 
Something tells me we might be playing them again very soon ???

Anyway,  I would say Fulham is one for me, we had a rotten record against them more so at their place (which is a shame as its a nice place to visit!). Remember seeing one of my worse Villa games there in 08 when they looking nailed on for the drop, and it was Hogdson's first game in charge and wouldn't you just know it they beat us 2-1 with a last minute JIMMY BULLARD GOAL! :-[  We were goal up too.   We seem to save our worse performances for trips to the cottages, last season was another prime example.  We'd actually had a decent start to the season, and looked in okay shape ahead of the game, they on the other hand had been awful.  Then the curse of the new manager struck again (why couldn't they wait another week to ditch Jo? :'(), they won a one sided half two nil, and the game was dead in the second half.   They even did the double over us last season.    In fact this goes back quite a few seasons, to when they up set us at Villa Park in the Cup, this during the Keegan years (now sold at a discount price on DVD), this was the same season that we had been run away leaders in the league and yet against second Division Fulham we barely mustered a decent chance on goal all game.  Fulham for me, even though a couple of people I know support them, they had a decent enough run in the top league, so I hope we won't be playing them for awhile.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Clubs you are/were glad to see the back of
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:07:53 AM »
Small Heath Alliance. Horrible club.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »
Seem to remember Leicester having a good run against us

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 10:12:57 AM »
QPR. Squalid.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:18:13 AM »
i've met fans of other clubs who will be glad to see the back of us!

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 10:18:58 AM »
Seem to remember Leicester having a good run against us

Yep, even when they were crap, which has been most of the time outside of the MON years they always looked world beaters against us.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 10:20:18 AM »
I was over the moon when QPR went down and gutted when they came back-up. Hate everything about them. The ground, The Supporters, The manager, a lot of the current players.

I remember reading that they had a higher wage-bill than Borussia Dortmund last season and that, to me, highlights everything that's wrong with English football at the moment.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 10:20:47 AM »
Leeds can take as long as they like coming back.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 10:27:18 AM »
In terms of being scummy, Leeds are the ones that I want to stew in misery for as long as possible. They always caused trouble every time they came to Villa Park.

Coventry and Small Heath going down (again) was amusing.

We had a rubbish record at home to Wigan, but weren't bad away against them. Apart from their horrible owner they seemed nice enough.

I gather Northampton Town had a good record against us....

Both Leicester (our bogey side) and QPR are back up and we never, ever win at Crystal Palace  :'(

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 10:32:15 AM »
Coventry. I was beside myself at half time in their last game at Villa Park when it looked like we were going to let them off the hook again. When Angel and Merson's goals went in I thought that the whole ground would explode. 

Offline Charlie8182

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 10:36:06 AM »
Definitely Coventry for me, not missed them one bit in 13 years since they went down and hope they never come back.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 10:56:27 AM »
Cov away was always good though. I'd like to get them away in the cup. They'd loan the Ricoh for a game for that I reckon.

And we'd fill it for them!

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 11:08:06 AM »
Birmingham obviously. QPR are a pointless club, their ground is awful too. Chelsea is another obvious one, I hate how people consider them a big club now.

Man Utd, Real Madrid, and Bayern are all horrible clubs.

Offline bob rowe

• Benito's Headband
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »
For me its Wimbledon of the Dave Bassett era. A team made up of thugs who seemed to just kick the opposition all over the park. Sadly it looks as if they're on the way back up, hopefully they'll be a lot different next time round.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 12:04:09 PM »
Let me think....CoventryCoventryCoventryCoventryCoventryCoventryCoventryCoventryCoventryCoventryCoventryCoventryCoventryCoventry.  Horrible, horrible bastards.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal