collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 11:29:21 AM]

NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 11:25:29 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Risso
[Today at 11:04:59 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:02:18 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:58:42 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by AV82EC
[Today at 10:54:31 AM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 10:41:54 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 09:55:19 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 11:29:21 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 11:25:29 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 11:24:36 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 11:19:44 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Smithy
[Today at 11:07:31 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Risso
[Today at 11:04:59 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by JUAN PABLO
[Today at 11:04:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by amfy
[Today at 11:02:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Tavern  (Read 31453 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Aston Tavern
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2014, 10:48:41 PM »
That's the thing... for an entry fee of £2 if there are more than a couple of you it will be a better idea to hop in a cab to the ground from somewhere decent...

Who owns the pub anyway? With the money spent it must be a national pub co?
The pub has been refurbished at the tax payers expense. Ie you paid towards it as did I and the bloke next door.

How is that the case?
Hang on , wasn't the Eddy's CPO, and a relocation deal arrived at. I can cut and paste stuff from the web too.

How does someone having their premises bought under a CPO equate to their new business venture being "paid for by tax payers"?

Especially tax payers in a different local authority area.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 10:51:30 PM »
Just to be clear though about the money. He was paid off to move and that comes with a premium.

Which is?
Judging by the works I'd say in excess of £1.5m. The old pub was worthless as a business , lovely building mind you. He got lucky with the road moves and CPO to move . I have no issue with this but charging punters to get in now ? Piss take

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2014, 10:53:26 PM »
That's the thing... for an entry fee of £2 if there are more than a couple of you it will be a better idea to hop in a cab to the ground from somewhere decent...

Who owns the pub anyway? With the money spent it must be a national pub co?
The pub has been refurbished at the tax payers expense. Ie you paid towards it as did I and the bloke next door.

How is that the case?
Hang on , wasn't the Eddy's CPO, and a relocation deal arrived at. I can cut and paste stuff from the web too.

How does someone having their premises bought under a CPO equate to their new business venture being "paid for by tax payers"?

Especially tax payers in a different local authority area.
I pay my moms bills now and she's in the region.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2014, 10:54:55 PM »
Just to be clear though about the money. He was paid off to move and that comes with a premium.

Which is?
Judging by the works I'd say in excess of £1.5m. The old pub was worthless as a business , lovely building mind you. He got lucky with the road moves and CPO to move . I have no issue with this but charging punters to get in now ? Piss take

I've said above my opinions on charging customers to get into a pub  - I've never paid and never will - but that doesn't alter the fact that the owner is using their own money to finance the business.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2014, 10:58:50 PM »
Sorted my pub for Chesterfield - The Derby Tup - 5 minutes' walk from the ground on the Sheffield Road, welcome to away supporters at the north end of the ground, and a range of good beers. Anybody know it?

It's crap. You might like it but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. Stand away. Avoid. Tell all your friends not to go there.
You winding me up Mr Woodhall?
Just texted ex-Chesterfield resident/mate who tells me it's one of the best pubs in the area! Up to 10 (real) ales often available.

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 10:59:24 PM »

Which is?

I've said above my opinions on charging customers to get into a pub  - I've never paid and never will - but that doesn't alter the fact that the owner is using their own money to finance the business.
Don't disagree but let's now be naive about the pay off and why so much money is available for the AT rebuild.

Offline peter w

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2014, 11:01:51 PM »
Sorted my pub for Chesterfield - The Derby Tup - 5 minutes' walk from the ground on the Sheffield Road, welcome to away supporters at the north end of the ground, and a range of good beers. Anybody know it?

It's crap. You might like it but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. Stand away. Avoid. Tell all your friends not to go there.
Just texted ex-Chesterfield resident/mate who tells me it's one of the best pubs in the area! Up to 10 (real) ales often available.

I kind of think you may need to read between the lines.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2014, 11:05:11 PM »

Exactly. It is NOT a brilliant pub.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2014, 11:10:35 PM »

Cheers guys.
Plan A it is!

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 09:27:27 AM »
Paying two pound to get into a pub will create more of a family atmosphere??

Hasn't ever worked for all the other pubs near the ground.

I reckon, if you want a proper pub with decent beer, where you will get it served in a glass rather than a plastic pot, and it won't be full of the, err, not wishing to be disparaging and all that, fucking idiots that follow us (okay I was disparaging), then you save your two quid each and use it for a taxi fare from a much better pub a bit further away.

I was speaking of things like the Tree house for kids.   Anyway, I don't know how this would work, but no am not up for paying just to enter a pub, unless the drink itself was free that is!

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 10:30:06 AM »
I'll try it out for a midweek game, no point getting to the Bartons at about 10.15pm, as they call last orders 15 minutes later.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 10:45:09 AM »

I've been in that pub a few times after playing rugby nearby and I agree with DW, it's an awful pub, definitely not somewhere I'd suggest to fans going to Chesterfield who like good beers and a much quieter place to drink them than most of the pubs around there.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »
See you in there, then.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2014, 07:12:30 PM »
See you in there, then.

Where are you?

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2014, 05:41:03 PM »
Sorry, Dave, went in after the game. I needed something to fortify me after that lot.

Met three Villa fans inside /outside the Tup who gave me the benefit of their Villa-following experiences, as well as interesting angles on the Saunders resignation and the Helenius situation.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal