collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Tavern  (Read 31484 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Aston Tavern
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »
Exactly - a number of the pubs we go into at away games have security and don't charge, possibly because they're making a bomb overcharging us for crap (occasionally reasonable) beer. Charging to get in for that is taking the piss.

Away games is another ranty obsession with me. Pubs close to the ground are invariably full and if they were any good the home fans would use them. I've never known a ground that wasn't more than couple of quid each in a cab away from somewhere much better. 

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 10:19:58 PM »
That's the thing... for an entry fee of £2 if there are more than a couple of you it will be a better idea to hop in a cab to the ground from somewhere decent...

Who owns the pub anyway? With the money spent it must be a national pub co?
The pub has been refurbished at the tax payers expense. Ie you paid towards it as did I and the bloke next door.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »
Sorted my pub for Chesterfield - The Derby Tup - 5 minutes' walk from the ground on the Sheffield Road, welcome to away supporters at the north end of the ground, and a range of good beers. Anybody know it?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 10:24:18 PM »
That's the thing... for an entry fee of £2 if there are more than a couple of you it will be a better idea to hop in a cab to the ground from somewhere decent...

The pub has been refurbished at the tax payers expense. Ie you paid towards it as did I and the bloke next door.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/cost_of_the_refurbishment_of_the_2#outgoing-262288

...the current landlord of the King Edward VII will be relocating to the nearby Aston Tavern Public House which he has acquired from the Homes & Communities Agency and is undertaking the renovation works at a cost to himself.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 10:24:28 PM »

How is that the case?

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 10:25:03 PM »
Exactly - a number of the pubs we go into at away games have security and don't charge, possibly because they're making a bomb overcharging us for crap (occasionally reasonable) beer. Charging to get in for that is taking the piss.

Away games is another ranty obsession with me. Pubs close to the ground are invariably full and if they were any good the home fans would use them. I've never known a ground that wasn't more than couple of quid each in a cab away from somewhere much better. 

QPR was cracking years back, the springbok, but has apparently gone now

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 10:28:24 PM »

Isn't that all about what people want, though?

When I go to away games and fancy a few pints beforehand, I'll never even consider going to the usual away pub prior to the game, I'll always opt for somewhere relatively local which is a nice boozer (same as yourself).

I would never, for example, go to the Eight Bells near Craven Cottage (think that's the one, the away pub) when there are so many other decent pubs in easy reach, and which aren't full of other fans.

However, at the same time, on the way to that ground, I've walked past the Eight Bells and it has been rammed, full of Villa fans, who clearly are having a great time and enjoying themselves.

It's what they want, I guess.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 10:29:40 PM »

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/cost_of_the_refurbishment_of_the_2#outgoing-262288

...the current landlord of the King Edward VII will be relocating to the nearby Aston Tavern Public House which he has acquired from the Homes & Communities Agency and is undertaking the renovation works at a cost to himself.

I'd also point out that, even if it were the case that the Council (ie Birmingham City Council) were paying for it, and assuming Silhillvilla lives where his username suggests - ie, Solihull - he wouldn't be paying for any of it from his council tax in any case.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 10:30:50 PM »
Sorted my pub for Chesterfield - The Derby Tup - 5 minutes' walk from the ground on the Sheffield Road, welcome to away supporters at the north end of the ground, and a range of good beers. Anybody know it?

It's crap. You might like it but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. Stand away. Avoid. Tell all your friends not to go there.

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 10:32:53 PM »

How is that the case?
Hang on , wasn't the Eddy's CPO, and a relocation deal arrived at. I can cut and paste stuff from the web too.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »

It's crap. You might like it but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. Stand away. Avoid. Tell all your friends not to go there.

And you said I was miserable lol

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 10:36:43 PM »
Oh dear!
Plan A fu**ed!

Plan B:
The Red Lion a bit further up the road? Old Mill beers?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2014, 10:36:43 PM »

How is that the case?
Hang on , wasn't the Eddy's CPO, and a relocation deal arrived at. I can cut and paste stuff from the web too.

So he had money given to him (or her) for his (or her) old business and instead of taking sticking it in the bank decided to reinvest in the area, proving both jobs and facilities. I fail to see how anyone could complain about that.

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2014, 10:44:59 PM »
Just to be clear though about the money. He was paid off to move and that comes with a premium.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2014, 10:46:11 PM »
Just to be clear though about the money. He was paid off to move and that comes with a premium.

Which is?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal