collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Drinking in Stoke  (Read 6653 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Drinking in Stoke
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 08:55:45 PM »
The Glebe was the one I was thinking of that's under the tunnel out of the station. Like that place. It was in there, as a student in Stoke in 1990, that I was advised by a local to try this wonderful Stoke dish called a Balti.
A student in Stoke? That's an oxymoron!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 09:02:17 PM »
What years were you at Keele SHQ?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 09:47:57 PM »
2007-2010.

I think I should jack this work thing in and go back to being a student, we might get good again that way!

Offline FriendlyStokie

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 09:56:34 PM »
Hey all, I come in peace thought I would give you some suggestions on where to go, First off when you get off the train hide your colours else you will be rounded up and shipped to the Uni Bar which is a bit shit BUT you do get free bus travel up to the stadium and back to the station after....

But if your looking for a good pint with a good atmosphere and a bit of food then head into town..

You can go to the Glebe which is a very friendly bar welcoming everyone, children can go fine without having to sheild them from numpties jumping about chucking beer, its very laid back and good banter between home and away fans...

They do cracking pork pies.

Or there is the White Star, This place has alot of proper beer on, mainly brewed by the Titanic Brewery, lots on offer to choose from and ofcourse normal lagers. They also do some amazing food, from burgders to fish n chips, really worth the money and all home made! again this Pub is very friendly and welcome both sets of fans, also free wifi! I think the code is t1tan1c but they have it written on boards or just ask...

Getting to the ground is pretty easy:

Walk, Along the canal, when you walk from the station you will walk over it, so head back to it and head towards the ground you will know when you need to get off, Its a good 20 mins walk and even more with a gut full of ale!

Taxi, A taxi from stoke town costs £5, so between 4 of you its hardly anything and get there in about 10 mins max. Most popular taxi firm is Lucky Seven taxis, there number is: 01782 333 333, best to book an hour in advance before you want to leave.

Bus, The club put on buses from Glebe street, im not 100% sure on price but I think it is £3, BUT if you are coming on the train you wouldnt get these buses back you would hop on the train station buses that the police put you on right outside your stand.

Other than all that I wouldnt stray to far into town as there is a few "home" pubs that arent so welcoming, There is a few watering holes near the ground like The power league (which gets ram packed) and The Harvester which is a pub/resturant which also gets ram packed...

Hope this helps and cant wait for the game with you guys selling out its going to be a cracking atmosphere!

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 09:59:52 PM »
Evening Bunny....

Is that Chris Jameson I see logging on over there...

Offline FriendlyStokie

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 10:04:21 PM »
Evening Bunny....

Is that Chris Jameson I see logging on over there...

If you're replying to me then im affraid im not Bunny although I do know of him as he write alot of articles in various places..

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 10:11:19 PM »
Sorry mate I was posting in jest as a few years back we had Bunny and a few others posting pretty peacefully until they started to be culled one by one!

Offline FriendlyStokie

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 10:15:45 PM »
Sorry mate I was posting in jest as a few years back we had Bunny and a few others posting pretty peacefully until they started to be culled one by one!

Ahh I aint got time in life to be hating on other peoples passions thought I would post some advice on where to go etc for the game as people from others clubs have done it for me and made my trip alot nicer, hopefully I can return the favour :)

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 10:18:37 PM »

Ahh I aint got time in life to be hating on other peoples passions thought I would post some advice on where to go etc for the game as people from others clubs have done it for me and made my trip alot nicer, hopefully I can return the favour :)

Ah no problem chap, we have a guide in tickets and travel for some of those games if you fancy a look there.

Offline FriendlyStokie

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 10:20:26 PM »

Ah no problem chap, we have a guide in tickets and travel for some of those games if you fancy a look there.

cheers will have a gander.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 11:11:29 PM »
Drinking in Stoke,, Go to the Square Peg, as the Stokies are a hateful bunch, and do not need sponsoring. the coppers are very helpful, offering accommodation over night if you so much as stand up to the small minded chaps.

I say this purely from reading it in the papers btw

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 12:10:39 AM »
Cheers friendlystokie, the name is clearly apt. Good luck ... Hope you finish below us 😀👍

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 12:50:44 AM »
Cheers Stokie!
I know the White Star - mate who lives in Kidsgrove has taken me there for some "proper ale".
As it's in the "holiday" season will give it a go on match day!
UTV!

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 12:52:37 AM »
Any hope of picking up a couple of tickets for this game lads? Going to be in the midlands that weekend but would have thought opening day tickets would be gold dust.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 08:46:31 AM »
2007-2010.

I think I should jack this work thing in and go back to being a student, we might get good again that way!

What halls were you in?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal