collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 11:00:13 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by VillaTim
[Today at 10:55:24 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[Today at 10:51:16 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[Today at 10:37:12 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:36:44 PM]

NSWE Investment by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[Today at 10:36:07 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Drinking in Stoke  (Read 6658 times)

Offline MelbourneVillain

Drinking in Stoke
« on: July 24, 2014, 02:03:48 PM »
Me and the wife are headed to the UK soon for a mates wedding, so thought we'd get involved with the opening day of the season whilst we're over! Train from New Street straight to Stoke, but where will the villa faithful be drinking? Apparently there's no pub action near the ground, so we'll be best off hitting the bars nearest the train station. Let us know where you're at :)

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Drinking in Stoke
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 02:21:29 PM »
Me and the wife are headed to the UK soon for a mates wedding, so thought we'd get involved with the opening day of the season whilst we're over! Train from New Street straight to Stoke, but where will the villa faithful be drinking? Apparently there's no pub action near the ground, so we'll be best off hitting the bars nearest the train station. Let us know where you're at :)

Get a taxi to Burslem, better pubs there.

Not many pubs by the train station, there are quite a few near the coach station though.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 02:43:47 PM »
opening day games are difficult to get tickets for on the day - you got them lined up?

Drinking in Stoke is not my idea of a good time!

Offline glasses

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »
Last time I went to Stoke away the police directed us to a student union bar from the train station.

They didn't seem keen on us heading to the local pubs

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 03:05:29 PM »
Sold out.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 03:11:49 PM »
Sold out.

Good effort.  Lets hope the away fans have a better day than on some recent visits.  Would love us to get one over on Hughes.

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 05:22:16 PM »
The Police do direct you to a Uni bar. If you carry on walking within 2mins you come to a much better pub. The Police lay on buses to the ground before and after.

Offline peter w

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 07:47:34 PM »

Get a taxi to Burslem, better pubs there.

Not many pubs by the train station, there are quite a few near the coach station though.

Actually there are a few. Out of the ground turn right and turn left. there's two or 3 in walking distance. The Roebuck is the better one but will be full of Stoke. Turn right go under the bridge and a few around there too. The Wheatsheaf is okay. But, again, they'll be mainly full of ne'er do wells.

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 08:02:22 PM »
I thought from the title of this topic that it was going to recount a past tale of misery, violence and terrible beer. Drink near New Street and get the last possible train to Stoke and the first one straight back!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »
Hahahaha....

Seriously I'd suggest Newcastle-Under- Lyme, can still get to the ground and reasonably peaceful with numerous pubs.

I usually drink in Stone and get the 101 bus up to Trent Vale and walk from there. Went in the Wetherspoons at midday the April game when Lowton scored that wondergoal and it was rammed full of Villa.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 08:34:19 PM »
Hahahaha....

Seriously I'd suggest Newcastle-Under- Lyme, can still get to the ground and reasonably peaceful with numerous pubs.

I usually drink in Stone and get the 101 bus up to Trent Vale and walk from there. Went in the Wetherspoons at midday the April game when Lowton scored that wondergoal and it was rammed full of Villa.

Brilliant pub.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 08:37:13 PM »
Hahahaha....

Brilliant pub.

Haha is that the Staffordshire Eight Bells equivilant then Dave? ;)

Actually  the old cinema one in Stafford is pretty good, one of the better Wetherspoons around.. Again with the bus or train you can be in Stoke in 30-40 minutes so rather do that then mix with the clayheads in their dives of pubs.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 08:40:18 PM »
The Glebe and the White Star in Stoke city town large village centre are two great pubs.

Offline peter w

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 08:42:28 PM »
The Glebe was the one I was thinking of that's under the tunnel out of the station. Like that place. It was in there, as a student in Stoke in 1990, that I was advised by a local to try this wonderful Stoke dish called a Balti.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 08:43:52 PM »
The Glebe and the White Star in Stoke city town large village centre are two great pubs.

Ah when I was at Uni a few years back up there the Glebe was being renovated, how long it been open?

Yep the White Star is good although again haven't been in there a good few years. Might have a pint after the game if we get a decent result and let the rabble get on their trains.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal