collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa: good guys (again): Bryan Jones on young footballers/England & W.C.  (Read 8258 times)

Offline tomd2103

Not wishing to quote a lengthy post when I only want to take issue with one part of it, but the FA and the Premier League are two separate entities. The FA is the game's governing body in England and ostensibly control all leagues in the same way. The Premier League is owned and controlled by its member clubs.

I would also disagree with the assertion that the last good national team was in 1990.  The team of Euro 1996 was a good side, with most of the starting XI in their peak years.  The midfield 3 of Platt, Ince, and Gascoigne were in their late 20's and of course there was the partnership of Shearer and Sheringham up front.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
When i was back in Brum two years ago i was dismayed to see the changes to Perry Barr Park, the area that we used for Suday festival league matches and school football let alone our street get togethers has been taken up by a not vey attractive stadium, things change i know but the big open space has gone forever.
Down here we have the opposite problem, everything revolves around sport and gambling, the A.I.S is very well funded, at a local level you can pick a sport and find a find a club close to home that is very cheap to join. Private schools have a clear advantage over public schools with regard to financing and facilities much to the detriment of public schools.
I really don't care much about the England team anymore the emotion has disappeared, wish i could say the same about Villa.

Offline Dlp

Not wishing to quote a lengthy post when I only want to take issue with one part of it, but the FA and the Premier League are two separate entities. The FA is the game's governing body in England and ostensibly control all leagues in the same way. The Premier League is owned and controlled by its member clubs.

I would also disagree with the assertion that the last good national team was in 1990.  The team of Euro 1996 was a good side, with most of the starting XI in their peak years.  The midfield 3 of Platt, Ince, and Gascoigne were in their late 20's and of course there was the partnership of Shearer and Sheringham up front.

Platt and Gascoinge were also in the 1990 team (not sure if Platt was actually in the starting 11), you also had Lineker, Barnes, Beardsley, with Mark Wright, Des Walker and Terry Butcher in defence. Plus we go to the semi final of the world cup only failing on penalties.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
When i was back in Brum two years ago i was dismayed to see the changes to Perry Barr Park, the area that we used for Suday festival league matches and school football let alone our street get togethers has been taken up by a not vey attractive stadium

Do you mean the Alexander Stadium?

In fairness, it has been there for very nearly 40 years, so it's hardly surprising time has moved on!

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
This is slightly off topic but I was reading an article about the Ivory Coast and how nearly all their players come through a private academy where their education and football are all taken care of.  I may be merging this slightly with the academies they started in Belgium (also education and football establishments) however the point remains the same.  In both instances the sheer amount and quality of coaching far exceed anything that a kid would get in this country.  Until we can offer this we will always be behind other countries.

This is from the BBC discuss (I assume) the same academy in IC:

"From 05:45 to 22:00, five days a week, every hour of the day is meticulously laid out: football practice, fitness sessions, school, study time and then bed."

One day, hopefully, all PE teachers will be qualified (i.e. some FA recognised badge similar to the UEFA badges).  Furthermore enthusiastic teachers should be allowed/encouraged to attend the courses.  St Georges Park should be able to provide this over time however I am unsure that there is capacity in the teaching profession for teachers to be given time off to train and hone their coaching skills.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27835600

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
We have also just been awarded the Youth Sport Trust Gold Status as well as Sainsbury's School Sport Silver Kitemark. Knackering, but worthwhile.
Very good. Well done.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal