collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Birmingham Mail and Villa coverage  (Read 237665 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: Birmingham Mail and Villa coverage
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2015, 10:50:41 AM »
He really is.

18 months ago Mail had Kendrick, Tattum and Lepwowski as the three long serving correspondents for each respective club, at least there was an air of professionalism about the match reports on a Monday, now you get that god awful what have we learnt bullet point report that's probably been typed up in 10 minutes.

It's a tough one, I can't see local media surviving that much longer but to not have a local paper every day would feel weird. The Post went weekly a while back and I always get it as it's pretty readable although they don't really cover Football aside from a business angle anymore.

Maybe they should go free like the Metro and the Standard.

And I still wouldn't read it. If I wanted to hear sarcastic, negative shit towards something I like then I'll talk to the missus.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2015, 12:16:07 PM »
Good suggestion that Perce.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2015, 12:33:59 PM »
He really is.

18 months ago Mail had Kendrick, Tattum and Lepwowski as the three long serving correspondents for each respective club, at least there was an air of professionalism about the match reports on a Monday, now you get that god awful what have we learnt bullet point report that's probably been typed up in 10 minutes.

It's a tough one, I can't see local media surviving that much longer but to not have a local paper every day would feel weird. The Post went weekly a while back and I always get it as it's pretty readable although they don't really cover Football aside from a business angle anymore.

Even with decent journalism, the time of the (paid) printed press is almost over.  I think it's mainly the over 40s who still buy a paper and then mainly out of habit.

I don't think I've paid money for a newspaper in the last 5 years, and stopped buying one regularly about 10 years ago.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »
He really is.

Even with decent journalism, the time of the (paid) printed press is almost over.  I think it's mainly the over 40s who still buy a paper and then mainly out of habit.

I don't think I've paid money for a newspaper in the last 5 years, and stopped buying one regularly about 10 years ago.

And therein lies the dilemma. We expect quality writing, but we also expect more of it than ever and don't expect to pay for it.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2015, 02:39:05 PM »
When I moved to Newcastle to be a student in the mid 80s, I used to go on to people about the "outdoor" and get totally blank stares back.

The fucking phillistines.

Remind me what they called their sports Argos up there?

It's pet name, something like The Pink.

I think a few regions had a 'Sporting Pink'. Although if I remember right from away trips with Villa in the eighties, Yorkshire had a 'Sporting Green'.
cov had the 'pink' too. We used to get it in Nuneaton. Fond memories of villa battering Coventry splashed all over it.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2015, 06:23:41 PM »
Good suggestion that Perce.

Cheers. I buy the Post every week as well, even though I've already read most of it on-line by the time it comes out on a Thursday. It's such a staunch supporter of the city I feel duty bound to encourage them with my £1.70 a week.

Maybe the Mail could take a leaf out of their book, support-wise.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:26:36 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #232 on: July 04, 2015, 11:42:13 PM »
Some of those are just plain wrong. How long before the Mail marvels over blunders like Enckelman?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #233 on: July 04, 2015, 11:42:22 PM »
Good grief. It really is a sad and pathetic little rag these days.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #234 on: July 04, 2015, 11:44:27 PM »
I think the only suitable description is.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #235 on: July 04, 2015, 11:49:53 PM »
Mind you have you seen the half arsed arse licking of the boohoos in the next article down debating the pros and cons of signing Joey Barton

Includes such gems as

The fans would probably take to him, fans love a bad boy, and Blues have had their fair share down the years with Mick Harford, Mark Dennis, Robbie Savage and Co.
and
If Joey (sorry Joe) Barton signs for Birmingham City, I will do a lap of St Andrew's dressed in a chicken suit.

That said, what a signing it would be.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #236 on: July 04, 2015, 11:51:24 PM »
Genuinely amazing. I suppose the grown ups running the place have more to worry about than the sports pages (like going out of business) but still, its amazing you can let someone like Gregg Evans write his nonsense for your site.

I do wonder what people who genuinely care about their work like Kendrick must think when they read this stuff. It must be disheartening "Really? you allow that on the site? Why should I even bother writing anything half interesting?"

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #237 on: July 05, 2015, 12:05:02 AM »
Think Gregg Evans could do with moving onto better (or more suitable) things himself.

Road kill remover on the M6 or dog food tester for Pedigree Chum(p) are roles I am sure he would flourish in.

This journalism lark doesn't seem to be working out.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #238 on: July 05, 2015, 01:45:41 AM »
Coming next week: "10 Reasons Why Villa Should Be Loathed And Relegated: Our man Gregg Evans explains why Aston Villa, that local embarrassment, should stand aside and let the club that bears the city's name take its rightful place as the region's number one football club."

I'm afraid I just have an instant loathing for anyone called Greg who spells his name with a double g.  That to me is the hallmark of a twat.  The only other one I can think of is Gregg Wallace - which I think comfortably supports my theory.  Along the same lines, I have yet to meet a Marc (with a c) or a Kris (with a K) who wasn't an utter c***.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #239 on: July 05, 2015, 02:20:24 AM »
Supportive as ever...

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/10-aston-villa-players-who-9586584

Just clickbait.  Even so, there are some bizarre names included on that list.  The reason some of them went on to find better form was that they went to clubs in the division below.  Including Boaz Myhill in there is him having a joke isn't it?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal