collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Birmingham Mail and Villa coverage  (Read 238768 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: Birmingham Mail and Villa coverage
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 12:07:29 AM »
Part of me feels sad when newspapers fold, but there's also a recognition that values change over the years and the increased effects of a more digitalised society come into play.

I love it when newspapers fold. It's the only way I can fit them in my pocket.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 12:07:32 AM »
Matt Kendrick is their Villa man and he is alright.

Agreed. He is a genuine fan who is doing a very good job in difficult circumstances.

He started off right.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 12:37:07 AM »

Agreed. He is a genuine fan who is doing a very good job in difficult circumstances.

He started off right.

I can see your point, but I well see why he has had to change tack. You don't need a weatherman to see which way the wind blows,  and if you do you may well go down with the ship.  I genuinely now question whether journalistic objectivity exists anywhere, let alone in sport. 

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 12:44:24 AM »

He started off right.

I can see your point, but I well see why he has had to change tack. You don't need a weatherman to see which way the wind blows,  and if you do you may well go down with the ship.  I genuinely now question whether journalistic objectivity exists anywhere, let alone in sport. 

Sorry, I meant he started off his career properly, and in particular by having good fortune with his first editor.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 12:49:22 AM »
Kendrick is a good writer and does his job well.

I don't understand why so many people seem to focus their anger on him. They seem to think that it is as simple for him to tell the club what he really thinks as it is for us, posting it here, under a cloak of anonymity.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 01:11:42 AM »

He started off right.

Sorry, I meant he started off his career properly, and in particular by having good fortune with his first editor.

You won't believe me Dave, but I completely forgot that he started out on your organ.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 11:08:23 AM »
The thought picture I've just had of Matt Kendrick starting on Dave's organ has made me splutter bits of egg sandwich all over my computer screen. ;D

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 06:05:42 PM »
The Mercury is utter, utter horseshit.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 09:48:43 PM »
(if you know Derek and Clive)
Who brought up the Mercury!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 12:17:36 PM »
When the wife was pregnant with our lad I diligently read the baby books. They all said she must avoid mercury.

Good news for me as it meant I could dispose of her Queen CD's and put a ban on her buying that shit on a Sunday.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 12:37:19 PM »
To be fair, since Trinity Mirror took over the publication a few years ago it's gone steadily downhill. The quality of the reporters for the Mail has steadily declined also, I guess they are on poor renumeration. 
The B'ham post was an excellent journalisitic paper, but that is only weekly now. To me, it's a sad decline generally. Sign of the times I suppose.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 12:45:57 PM »
While perusing this thread I have suddenly developed a craving for a Lolly-Gobble-Choc-Bomb.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 10:27:17 AM »
Last time I read the Mail, they seemed to have only a couple of news reporters judging by the bylines.

Even in it's heyday I only ever bought/read it for Villa news, or the job pages on a Thursday (back before I had much work experience or decent contacts).

There doesn't seem to be a strategy to move online - so I guess there's probably not enough advertising revenue in it.  It's a shame, because it would be great if someone could develop a successful online "Brum" news site.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 10:55:29 AM »
It's a shame, because it would be great if someone could develop a successful online "Brum" news site.

ahem... http://thebirminghampress.com/

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2014, 11:46:53 AM »
Last time I read the Mail, they seemed to have only a couple of news reporters judging by the bylines.

Even in it's heyday I only ever bought/read it for Villa news, or the job pages on a Thursday (back before I had much work experience or decent contacts).

There doesn't seem to be a strategy to move online - so I guess there's probably not enough advertising revenue in it.  It's a shame, because it would be great if someone could develop a successful online "Brum" news site.

Id say they're actually all geared up to move online. You can already download the full version online free on an iPad every day and if anything they'll scrap the paper version in the not to distant future and make it an online only 'newspaper'.
I actually don't know anyone that still buys the paper version anymore. I think it's dying on it's feet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal