collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Joe Cole  (Read 105009 times)

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
Re: Joe Cole
« Reply #690 on: October 22, 2014, 11:24:13 PM »
While I'm not excusing it, I think we signed Cole (and Senderos) when working to a certain transfer policy at the start of the summer that probably legislated zero or very low spend.

As a sale of the club grew increasingly unlikely it seemed like there was a slight shift in stance on transfers (Cissoko, Sanchez, Cleverley) and I wonder whether Cole would even have been signed if this had been the case from the outset.

None of that changes the fact he's probably had it at this level though.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #691 on: October 23, 2014, 12:02:23 AM »
the good thing is that there is going to be a bit of shake up it appears. The current players simply are not creating chances. Don't want to blame it all on the players as I don't think the system employed has helped. Clearly that also needs to change. But at least we can see what the likes of Cole or Sanchez might have. We haven't scored in bloody ages so nothing to lose in terms of changing up the players to see if we can break the current unwanted record.

What makes you think there is going to be a shake up?

I was thinking the same. Lambert and shake ups don't really go together.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #692 on: October 23, 2014, 12:46:53 AM »
the good thing is that there is going to be a bit of shake up it appears. The current players simply are not creating chances. Don't want to blame it all on the players as I don't think the system employed has helped. Clearly that also needs to change. But at least we can see what the likes of Cole or Sanchez might have. We haven't scored in bloody ages so nothing to lose in terms of changing up the players to see if we can break the current unwanted record.

What makes you think there is going to be a shake up?

maybe shake up is strong and maybe it's more hope than anything. I just think that after 4 games without a goal, almost as many shots there needs to be some change. Lambert said in his post match after Everton that he wasn't happy with how things went and how they came out so it could be a case of getting other players involved. We'll see on Monday how many changes outside of those that are forced upon us.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #693 on: October 23, 2014, 04:43:37 AM »
I cannot see many unforced changes for QPR. As somebody on another thread said very pithily Lambert has a very vivid imagination but unfortunately none of it is football related. He will be totally focussed on not losing and that reminds me if another very neat and appropriate word coined by a poster to describe this manager's approach - submcleishian.

Offline supertom

« Reply #694 on: October 23, 2014, 07:28:48 AM »
I cannot see many unforced changes for QPR. As somebody on another thread said very pithily Lambert has a very vivid imagination but unfortunately none of it is football related. He will be totally focussed on not losing and that reminds me if another very neat and appropriate word coined by a poster to describe this manager's approach - submcleishian.
subMcLeishian...Excellent word. I suspect we'll be seeing it appear more and more in the coming months. Kudo's to the creator.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #695 on: October 25, 2014, 07:08:29 PM »
Well I hope he is enjoying his retirement ;)

Offline brian green

« Reply #696 on: October 25, 2014, 08:03:16 PM »
He is rubbish as a summarizer on BT Sport jock football.   A bit like the Chairman of Falkirk or Cowdenbeath brought in at the last minute to stand in for Gordon Strachan.

Online Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #697 on: October 25, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »
We have BT Sport but until today, had only ever watched football on it. Today was the first time I watched one of their other programmes. Geez, seeing Robbie Savage on that Fletch & Savage show is even worse than seeing/hearing him on a BBC programme.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #698 on: October 25, 2014, 10:29:26 PM »
I really don't see the fascination with him. He's most noteworthy contribution during his playing career was as a wind-up merchant and that warrants being a TV personality? It's a sad indictment.

Regarding Joe Cole, I still have hope that he has a part to play for us this year and hopefully can disprove a few doubters. 

Offline brian green

« Reply #699 on: October 26, 2014, 02:37:56 AM »
When I try to get optimistic about Joe Cole I keep seeing Pires and Ginola not Merson. To get an indian summer out of a player like we did out of. Paul Merson and Paul McGrath that player has to have retained his appetite and enthusiasm for the game. I suspect that Joe Cole does not have that any more. I hope I am wrong but it looked a massive punt to bring him to the club.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #700 on: October 26, 2014, 08:30:14 AM »
"I hope I am wrong but it looked a massive punt to bring him to the club"

I am assuming there is a typo there Brian ?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #701 on: October 26, 2014, 08:50:15 AM »
When I try to get optimistic about Joe Cole I keep seeing Pires and Ginola not Merson. To get an indian summer out of a player like we did out of. Paul Merson and Paul McGrath that player has to have retained his appetite and enthusiasm for the game. I suspect that Joe Cole does not have that any more. I hope I am wrong but it looked a massive punt to bring him to the club.

It's a gamble, sure, but massive punt is over egging it a little. If it doesn't come off then it's a relatively minor outlay in today's market?

Offline supertom

« Reply #702 on: October 26, 2014, 08:59:42 AM »
Joe Cole and Lambert assure us that Cole's hunger is still very much there. I hope so. As for his legs, that's another matter.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #703 on: October 26, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »
If we get a glimmer of spark from him today that'll do me. We need inspiration from somewhere after that horrid run of games. Today could be his day too being that he's up against Harry.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #704 on: October 26, 2014, 09:40:18 AM »

It's a gamble, sure, but massive punt is over egging it a little. If it doesn't come off then it's a relatively minor outlay in today's market?

We keep hearing that, but in our on-going austerity drive, all these "inexpensive" flops are starting to add up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal