collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aay up, ecky thump, it's Le Tour 2014  (Read 26350 times)

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
Re: Aay up, ecky thump, it's Le Tour 2014
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 07:52:03 PM »
Will Devil Man make it over to Yorkshire?

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 11:39:10 PM »
As only a kilometre of Le Tour crosses the border I think 'ecky thump' should be replaced with a Yorkshire saying. 'I'll go to the foot of our stairs' would be preferable.

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 02:00:11 AM »
As only a kilometre of Le Tour crosses the border I think 'ecky thump' should be replaced with a Yorkshire saying. 'I'll go to the foot of our stairs' would be preferable.

Yea, but that's the important kilometre - It's being marketed as "Le Tour comes to Rochdale". I kid you not you'd think it was coming right past the town hall, when in effect it will be in Rochdale MBC for about 3 minutes on the very periphery of Littleborough, There's signs all over town !! Suppose it's better news than most of the crap written or reported about the town over the last couple of years !

Offline Pete

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 09:58:03 AM »
It passes a couple of hundred yards from us - we live on a side road off the route as it enters Huddersfield. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Mrs Pete is just annoyed about the road being closed, she can't see the point of the whole thing.

Offline Yossarian

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »
Is the Tour ever going to come to Birmingham? I think it would be a fantastic sight watching them cycle down the Aston Expressway onto Spaghetti Junction.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 10:54:26 AM »
It goes close to my house and the family are coming up to watch as well. They don't actually start racing until after they pass so don't know if that will make it better or worse as a spectacle. I suppose we might get a better view.
I am very disappointed Wiggins isn't riding. All this nonsense about Froome winning the tour in 2012, it could have been close I grant you but Wiggins was far superior in the time trials.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 10:58:15 AM »

If ey up is one surely the other phrase should be now then? Or is it not acceptable post-Savile?

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 12:13:44 PM »

If ey up is one surely the other phrase should be now then? Or is it not acceptable post-Savile?

'Appen is safer. One now then is fine but two is unacceptable.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 07:44:42 PM »

I am very disappointed Wiggins isn't riding. All this nonsense about Froome winning the tour in 2012, it could have been close I grant you but Wiggins was far superior in the time trials.

But Froome only showed his hand on one climb before being told to get back to help Wiggins, he could have been stronger on quite a few other climbs as well which would have easily wiped out the time trial deficit, but we don't know because he was not allowed to escape because of team orders.

Offline HG1Lions

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »
All this talk of Harrogate on H&V - good to hear from a number of fellow Yorkshire Villans.
The town is beside itself with excitement yes, for something that will be over very quickly, but we've all been there.
Should be a good couple of days, but I'd advise people to get out into the country to see it, as Harrogate will have be swamped and it ain't that big a place. Masham was a good shout earlier in the thread - a village with two breweries.....

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 09:33:23 AM »
I'll be watching it go through London. The Tour went through Lewisham a couple of years ago. Never seen a bunch of cyclists pedal so fast in all my life, probably worried about getting their wheels nicked...

The Boris/Barclays bikes are being resprayed yellow to mark the event.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/boris-bikes-get-a-yellow-jersey-ahead-of-tour-de-france-london-leg-9218346.html

Offline Eckybloke

• GM : 06.06.2019
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 09:37:33 AM »
Gutted I'm not going to be around to see the first couple of stages but it's tempered by being in Paris on the last day.  Have even got Mrs Ecky slightly interested in it although both her and my son only really know about Wiggo and Cav so it's a slightly tougher sell if Wiggo doesn't get picked.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 09:57:03 AM »
I shall be trying to get a look when it hits London.

Sky have not "officiallly" said Wiggins will not be part of the team.  IMO it would be a mistake to leave him out.  Should Froome not go well then he is a natural replacemment as a GC contender provided he is not too far behind at the time.  Also should Froome be going well think of the carnage it would cause the other GC contenders if Sky let Wiggins get in a break.  They would have to expend energy and chase.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »
Will go to Leeds for Le Grand Depart.

But I am one of the moaners! Some of the roads are going to be closed for 15 hours in total meaning I will have to travel by public transport! I mean the humiliation!

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 10:50:09 AM »
Will go to Leeds for Le Grand Depart.

But I am one of the moaners! Some of the roads are going to be closed for 15 hours in total meaning I will have to travel by public transport! I mean the humiliation!

Must admit I'm a bit concerned about how I'm going to get my paper on the weekend. If it means I have to go without my paper then it's a bloody outrage and they should take their bike ride elsewhere.

There was a massive tailback on one of the main roads into Harrogate yesterday evening caused by a huge group of cyclists riding the route.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal