collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Philippe Senderos  (Read 142727 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Philippe Senderos
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 06:06:45 PM »
Ah, the HarewoodHeskey defence.

Not on this occassion; his wages and trasnfer fee take him well out of the Heskey/Harewood stakes.

I wouldn't be too sure about that - we are in a different wages league these days, but even so, I don't imagine Harewood would have been on an enormous wedge, as we stole him as he was about to sign for Wigan.

Anyway, like I said, let's see how things pan out. if we improve three or four starting positions (at least) then maybe we'll have a chance to improve. I just remain highly sceptical as to whether that'll actually happen.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »

If he's coming in to be 3/4th choice I fear for Clark

Especially after Lambert (can't believe i'm still having to type his name) seems to favour Baker the plank

Offline kiddylion

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 06:08:22 PM »
At least were signing players from Valencia now instead of Chesterfield

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 06:08:33 PM »
Senderos is cack! If anyone has watched Premier League football over the last 10 years then you must agree he is one of the most clumsiest, clueless and inept centre backs to ever play in this league.

People say he's an improvement on Baker and Clark....I say they're as equal as one another. Being a top centre half in this era involves being intelligent and using your brain. All 3 do not do that and think wiping out the opposition player is what it takes.

I only hope that this is cover and only cover if Vlaar and Okore break down mid season.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 06:08:41 PM »

Especially after Lambert (can't believe i'm still having to type his name) seems to favour Baker the plank

Clark is no Franz Beckenbauer, but if we moved him on and kept Baker, it'd be, well, disappointing.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 06:11:02 PM »

On this occasion we don't have a billionaire throwing money around, we are skint. Aren't fighting for Europe, we're relegation contenders. He isn't back up to Carew, he's taking the squad place of Nathan Baker.

I'm a moaning bastard, but a cheap centre back, saving what little money we have for 1st team replacements and moving Baker aside seems like a no brainer to me. Wages are the issue, if they aren't too high, it's a good deal.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 06:14:09 PM »
On this occasion we don't have a billionaire throwing money around, we are skint. Aren't fighting for Europe, we're relegation contenders. He isn't back up to Carew, he's taking the squad place of Nathan Baker.

... as back up to Vlaar and Okore. Along with Nathan Baker who is still here, and Ciaran Clark.

I don't see the point, to be honest. If we were signing Lescott, who is significantly better than both of them, I see the point in a CB signing, but to sign another meh centre back when we'll have Okore back from missing an entire season, well that strikes me as a bit pointless.

Offline peter w

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »

... as back up to Vlaar and Okore. Along with Nathan Baker who is still here, and Ciaran Clark.

I don't see the point, to be honest. If we were signing Lescott, who is significantly better than both of them, I see the point in a CB signing, but to sign another meh centre back when we'll have Okore back from missing an entire season, well that strikes me as a bit pointless.

But if that's all we can go and get at this point then, as disappointing as it is, so be it. Lescott may not want to go from title winners to a relegation battle. Why would he? I also agree that Hangelaand is slower than a snail now so would be no use. I actually would keep Baker and farm him out for a season because he has been over exposed at such a young age with a midfield that overs little cover.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 06:19:39 PM »
There is 0 chance of us signing anyone like Lescott this window. We are in full penny pinching mode now no doubt, so anyone that keeps Clark and Baker away from the first team is good enough for me, they are 2 of the worst centre backs I've had the mispleasure of watching down the Villa.

I would be looking at selling one of those 2 now, preferably Baker.

As a bonus, we get to watch another Villa player at the World Cup now, he does still play for them doesn't he? From what I remember of the qualifiers Switzerland had a good defensive record too.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
If this is true, I'm not hugely down in the dumps by it.

I'd guess that he will be on higher wages than anyone we've brought in since probably Vlaar so even though he's not the greatest defender in the world, it suggests we'll be looking at higher-profile players this summer than I was expecting us to.

Plus, three Villa players at the World Cup rather than two.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 06:21:17 PM »
Another cheap as chips signing. Can't see this signing shifting many season tickets.

Offline Richie

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2014, 06:22:52 PM »
Hopefully he's realised that Baker and Clark are not up to the job and need to be sold to teams in the Championship for as much as we can realistically get.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »

We could, and should have signed better than them. I can't see any top-class defender wanting to be back-up to Okore and Vlaar.

Offline supertom

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2014, 06:24:25 PM »

I'm a moaning bastard, but a cheap centre back, saving what little money we have for 1st team replacements and moving Baker aside seems like a no brainer to me. Wages are the issue, if they aren't too high, it's a good deal.
There-in lies the problem though. Wages will be an issue with Senderos. As shit as he is, he's in his peak years for his position, on a free transfer. He'll be asking for a lot of money I'd have thought. He's not a player who'd walk into our first 11, so I wouldn't imagine that a deal is feasible.
As sad as it sounds. Senderos is actually out of our price range right now.
Lescott won't happen either, but in his case, he at least walks straight into our first 11 if we pull it off. But we won't because 3-4 other clubs will be after him and pay significantly more than we will. Senderos is bobbins but he'll have enough options around, offering him more than we will.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2014, 06:26:35 PM »
Just announced as breaking news on SSN.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal