collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 11:41:07 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by LeeB
[Today at 11:39:08 AM]

NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 11:35:24 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Risso
[Today at 11:04:59 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:02:18 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by AV82EC
[Today at 10:54:31 AM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 10:41:54 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 09:55:19 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Philippe Senderos  (Read 142693 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Philippe Senderos
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 05:46:52 PM »
Whether he signs or not won't make a difference. It's a free and a squad player. Like I said it's along the lines of a James Collins; i.e nothing special. What we need urgently is 4 or 5 top starting quality players and that won't happen until the sale is complete.

What we need is players better than what we have.

Is he?

He's got to be better than Baker and Clark.

He might not be up to much, but surely having played for Arsenal, Milan and Valencia means he's better than those pair? You cannot consistently con that many people can you?

Offline Ads

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 05:48:33 PM »
Can somebody give a synopsis of him? I have seen him play in the flesh a number of times, but I cannot recall much about him.

He's a big lad and has played for some very big clubs is about as much as I know.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 05:49:37 PM »
Whether he signs or not won't make a difference. It's a free and a squad player. Like I said it's along the lines of a James Collins; i.e nothing special. What we need urgently is 4 or 5 top starting quality players and that won't happen until the sale is complete.

Is he?

He might not be up to much, but surely having played for Arsenal, Milan and Valencia means he's better than those pair? You cannot consistently con that many people can you?

If he had never played in England and we had never seen some of the mistakes having played for Milan and Valencia would be very impressive. Unfortunately his time in the PL hasn't been as good so we can only go by that as a reference point. He's a #3 or #4 CB. Again nothing to get hot under the collar over in my opinion.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 05:51:17 PM »

Is he?

Combined total of 19 starts for Valencia and Milan.

It's not a wrist slasher of a signing, but I don't think he's actually that much better than Clark and Baker to warrant signing. That's the thing.

Offline Ads

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 05:51:44 PM »
Well if all he is a third choice centre half for a Premiership side, then he has improved the squad over the chuckle brothers. Given the unusual circumstances we find ourself in, a few mid-table exprienced players is probably the best we can hope for.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 05:51:53 PM »
A 'survive til Christmas' signing.  I've no idea what he's like now but was always underwhelmed by him at arsenal.  Maybe he's better now. 

Offline Ads

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 05:55:38 PM »
Well we can hope that Okore and Vlaar don't suffer from the same level of ridiculous injuries they have thus far (why is it only our best players get injured?) so we only see him in small doses. He's got to have something about him to have played for those clubs, even if he lacked the consistency or ability to maintain it.

I will reserve judgment till I have seen him play, as I am sure the majority will. I cannot help feel that when Vlaar limps off injured in December, him coming on won't have me with my head in my hands as would Baker and Clark.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 05:58:06 PM »
Where's this story come from? It'd be a desperate signing if true.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 05:59:06 PM »
Well we can hope that Okore and Vlaar don't suffer from the same level of ridiculous injuries they have thus far (why is it only our best players get injured?) so we only see him in small doses. He's got to have something about him to have played for those clubs, even if he lacked the consistency or ability to maintain it.

I will reserve judgment till I have seen him play, as I am sure the majority will. I cannot help feel that when Vlaar limps off injured in December, him coming on won't have me with my head in my hands as would Baker and Clark.

Well, Senderos will fit in with our centre halves too, then, as he's constantly injured as well.

Offline Ads

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »
He'll only get injured if he puts in a few good performances though.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »
I wouldn't bank on it.

Oh well, let's see how things move on, but this summer we're going to have to sign better players than we already have - and not just slightly better than the really shit ones, either. We can't avoid it for any longer.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 06:03:03 PM »
He'll be third or fourth choice. We're not going to get Franz Beckenbauer for that role.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 06:04:14 PM »
Ah, the HarewoodHeskey defence.

Offline mr woo

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 06:04:49 PM »
Funny really. It's the kind of signing we could have made two years ago when we were on a blinkered 'young and hungry' crusade and it would have done us a favour. I wonder whether a centre back pairing of Vlaar and Senderos would have been enough to see off Bradford and get a sniff of silverware when we had the chance.

Anyway, if we're looking at signing up Fulhams over the hill rejects surely Hangeland would be the one to go for?

Offline Ads

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 06:04:53 PM »
Ah, the HarewoodHeskey defence.

Not on this occassion; his wages and trasnfer fee take him well out of the Heskey/Harewood stakes.

People keep mentioning Hangerland, but as I recall, he had become so chronically slow that you couldn't tell if he was still moving.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal