collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 11th December 1976  (Read 12497 times)

Offline JG

Re: 11th December 1976
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2015, 12:29:45 PM »
It was a weird season in terms that in the league when Andy Gray  was missing we struggled (Stoke away for example), yet Little put out some outstanding performances in the league cup.  I remember against Wrexham think we won 5-1 a long cross ball was played by Gidman to Little who brought it down so brilliantly - Little was a better player than  a lot of people would give him credit and not just a goal scorer.  Think he suffered with comparison to Francis.

The only one fault Little had  was he could be a race horse he would gather the  ball  and want to go  for it himself ignoring a better option.  This was particularly true when Gray  was missing.

Have said it before if we had Rimmer for 76/77 instead  of Burridge in nets  we would have won the league.  Burridge just could not command his area, too small.  Again at Man Utd new year's day both their goals came from clever preparation knowing that Burridge struggled with crosses.

I can confirm that the comments about Budgie & the impact that had on winning he league have been repeated to me before.

Offline Crops10

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2015, 08:02:33 AM »

Yep, I'm going down. I'm a season ticket holder & have been to all the cup games too, so my ticket is secure luckily. Feel for those whose aren't though. Are you going?
[/quote]

Unfortunately football has turned in to a corporate machine, with the majority of fans being alienated and people going to big games because they are fortunate to work for the right company.
Im not going as i go in for another knee op at the end of May, but i will be watching it wherever  i can. 

Offline Pete

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2015, 12:09:11 PM »
Hi Jamie. How you doing?

Just been reading this thread, really nice to read about what you have  to say about your old man. Im sure he and and most of the team would have to adapt if playing now. When i talk to my Dad and i ask him about how much the game has changed, he just sayd that he would get sent off every week!

I hope you are well mate.

Crops

My Dad gets a bit of a bee in his bonnet about comparing era's. Tactics & formations change to an extent, but 4-3-3 isn't a new thing; he points out that the team he & your Dad were in played that way 40 years ago, with Dad, Brian & Jonny Deehan up front. They maybe played a little more long ball, but that was largely due to the pitches they had to play on, not because they couldn't pass. Players like your Dad & Sid Cowans were fabulous passers of a ball.

In the first part of his time at Villa it was more of a 4-4-2 JG, with Ray Graydon on the right wing and your Dad and Brian Little up front. The front three, with Deehan, came about more or less by accident when Graydon was injured during the 76-77 season - it was plan B and it worked.

I don't remember the game being particularly long ball either; I was only twelve or thirteen so it may not be an accurate recollection, but my abiding memory is generally of the ball getting forward via John Gidman galloping up the wing from right back. And the midfielders you mention, plus the likes of Carrodus, Mortimer and Chico Hamilton, tended to run with the ball and pass short rather than pass it long, too. The pitches were indeed shocking, but it didn't seem to bother any of those guys.

Offline Richie

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2015, 01:57:01 PM »
JG - my first visit to Villa Park for a first team game coincided with your Dad making his home league debut (a 1-1 draw with Spurs in October 1975, Andy headed our goal in front of the Holte). As a 6 year old, it was a sight to behold and so began a love affair with the Villa that's now lasted 40 years !

Both Andy and Alex Cropley were heroes of mine back in the 70's. Both of them absolute quality players.

As regards the 76/77 season, it was just an absolute pleasure to go and watch Villa play at home. Virtually every visiting team left empty handed. They weren't just beat, they were usually absolutely pummelled out of sight.

If our away record would have been even average, we would have won the league (although the number of Cup ties probably had a major part to play as well).

Among my happiest ever times supporting Villa.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2015, 02:16:16 PM »

Unfortunately football has turned in to a corporate machine, with the majority of fans being alienated and people going to big games because they are fortunate to work for the right company.
Im not going as i go in for another knee op at the end of May, but i will be watching it wherever  i can. 
[/quote]

Crops, is that the case in Scotland too? Wembley has 17,000 members who get tickets for each game regardless of the event. Most couldn't give a hoot but enjoy the shenanigans and some make a killing by reselling their tickets. Throw in corporates outbidding real fans and the percentage of fans of each team at the final is drastically diminished.

A mate of mine knows a tout and by hiring a room in a Wembley hotel and offering lager and burgers he can charge over £1000 (in reality nearer £1500) per ticket. He gets a lot of his tickets from football agents by the way.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2015, 12:26:29 AM »
Only read this last page, but any team in 76/77 would have struggled without Andy Gray, he was a monster and as for Brian Little not looking for better options, I totally disagree. He was very unselfish and a top player. As for 76/77 season, Super Ray Graydon got injured and John Deehan came in and it was a different system, but no way was it long ball, bit like the season when we won the league and Ipswich played so much better football then us (did they bo***x). As much as I loved winning the league and subsequently the European Cup, the 76/77 season was my most exciting ever. I was a young left footed midfielder and loved Alex Cropley, the day after his chip at Sunderland, I did the same in a hockey goal, he was my hero as such a committed player. Will never forget that wan***s challenge

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal