collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish  (Read 1079528 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Jack Grealish
« Reply #11805 on: October 14, 2019, 10:47:14 PM »
Did Gazza perform in international tournaments? He was good in a couple of games during Euro 96 and was 50/50 in Italy 90 but I don't think you can say he performed, for me his international career was a complete waste for someone with his ability, largely because he was a fucking moron. Platt was the best England Midfielder in that period despite having far less natural talent because he worked hard and looked after himself.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : 21.01.2017
« Reply #11806 on: October 14, 2019, 10:57:30 PM »
Gazza performed at Euro 96, but his lack of fitness cost us in the semi, when he stretched for that cross in extra time and missed by inches.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #11807 on: October 14, 2019, 11:02:59 PM »
Gazza performed at Euro 96, but his lack of fitness cost us in the semi, when he stretched for that cross in extra time and missed by inches.

As I say, I think he played very well in a couple of games and was decent in the others but, as you say, he was fucked after about 80minutes in the semi.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11808 on: October 14, 2019, 11:34:58 PM »
Did Gazza perform in international tournaments? He was good in a couple of games during Euro 96 and was 50/50 in Italy 90 but I don't think you can say he performed, for me his international career was a complete waste for someone with his ability, largely because he was a fucking moron. Platt was the best England Midfielder in that period despite having far less natural talent because he worked hard and looked after himself.

Agree with every word.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 28.06.2019
« Reply #11809 on: October 15, 2019, 10:33:21 PM »

Didn't Gazza dominate key knock out games in those tournaments or is my mind playing tricks on mr? At his best he had the ability to seek and retain possession in any position under all kinds of pressure. I can't recall any other English midfielder doing that.

Of course if he had more discipline both on and off the pitch England may have qualified for the likes of the 94 World Cup and it was sad the way his career petered out given his ability.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Our FB Page
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #11810 on: October 15, 2019, 10:35:32 PM »

Agree with every word.

Same here.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
« Reply #11811 on: October 16, 2019, 12:05:25 AM »

Didn't Gazza dominate key knock out games in those tournaments or is my mind playing tricks on mr? At his best he had the ability to seek and retain possession in any position under all kinds of pressure. I can't recall any other English midfielder doing that.

Of course if he had more discipline both on and off the pitch England may have qualified for the likes of the 94 World Cup and it was sad the way his career petered out given his ability.

He was awful in the opening Swiss game of that tournament, press were calling for him to be dropped. Wasn't that much better v Jocks but then scored one of my favourite ever goals complete with great celebration. After that he was pretty good in the Dutch mauling, went back to being on the periphery v Spain and tbh the Germany game was just a knife edge type occasion which was always going to be difficult for any creative player to shine.

So all in all a decent enough tournament showing that has been overhyped since which is how it tends to work when England perform a little better than expected.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #11812 on: October 16, 2019, 12:29:51 AM »
Gaza’s best game was Italy away 1997 where we had to not lose to qualify.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #11813 on: October 17, 2019, 11:16:11 PM »
Which probably explains why Fulham were busy trying to kick the sh*t out of him all game!

Offline Hillbilly

• It's parfull, so it is.
« Reply #11814 on: October 18, 2019, 06:04:10 AM »
For the first 15 minutes of Five Live's coverage of the England debacle last night, Waddle especially launched into a 15 minutes wankfest over Mason Mount being the next Bryan Robson or David Platt type creative force we're missing.

Whilst I don't dispute he's not a talent, I think last night was too much too soon.  Typical one-eyed media coverage - do feel sorry for Jack, but his time will come.   
I always considered Robson overrated and got a big rep by playing for ManU. He was good but not that good. I think time is proving me right as he's fading from conversations about great players from the past.

Offline AV82EC

« Reply #11815 on: October 18, 2019, 08:47:39 AM »
For the first 15 minutes of Five Live's coverage of the England debacle last night, Waddle especially launched into a 15 minutes wankfest over Mason Mount being the next Bryan Robson or David Platt type creative force we're missing.

Whilst I don't dispute he's not a talent, I think last night was too much too soon.  Typical one-eyed media coverage - do feel sorry for Jack, but his time will come.   
I always considered Robson overrated and got a big rep by playing for ManU. He was good but not that good. I think time is proving me right as he's fading from conversations about great players from the past.

He was a good player but another classic English up and down midfielder with a good engine and could score goals like McDermott, Lampard, Gerard, Henderson etc etc who British coaches seem to love. His trouble was his body was made of glass and he was a total pisshead.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #11816 on: October 18, 2019, 09:34:27 AM »
He was also a dirty bastard that got away with murder because he was 'Captain Marvel'

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11817 on: October 18, 2019, 10:16:28 AM »
I agree about Robson. Also *controversial opinion klaxon* I think the same about Roy Keane.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #11818 on: October 18, 2019, 10:17:18 AM »
I agree about Robson. Also *controversial opinion klaxon* I think the same about Roy Keane.

Roy Keane is a miserable poor man's John McGinn.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #11819 on: October 18, 2019, 10:25:45 AM »
Jena Frumes had a super impact on Jesse Lingard turn of form. And he's never been the same since they split!
Super Jack has enjoyed her company over international period break and I think that can out an extra spring in his step 😁 !!
Expect him to start showing even more form the way Lingard was showing a few years ago!
Quite the motivation! What a woman !