collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Keinan Davis by robbo1874
[Today at 02:44:01 AM]

Re: Guess The Crowd 6; Villa v Liverpool Saturday 2nd November! by robbo1874
[Today at 02:35:25 AM]

Re: James Chester - signed by purpletrousers
[Today at 01:24:57 AM]

Re: Empty seats by purpletrousers
[Today at 01:21:02 AM]

Re: Empty seats by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:03:02 AM]

Re: Empty seats by Brassneck
[Today at 12:42:26 AM]

Re: The Running thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:38:40 AM]

Re: Empty seats by Sexual Ealing
[October 23, 2019, 11:36:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish  (Read 1043299 times)

Offline danno

Re: Jack Grealish
« Reply #11670 on: September 18, 2019, 01:50:56 PM »
Has there been a single game under Smith where we havenít played 4-3-3? From my knowledge, I think youíd have to go back a while for anything different at Brentford as well.

I think that we are pretty wedded to that particular system and any variations are only likely of the tactical variety (how high we press etc) rather than a change in formation.

Think you may be right, the question is what combination of players do we have that best suits a 4-3-3?  Think a midfield of Luiz Marvelous and McGinn with Grealish and Trezegeut Supporting Wesley would be the way I'd go.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #11671 on: September 18, 2019, 05:56:31 PM »
Itís early days yet, given Luiz and Marvelous have only played a handful of games so difficult to tell. However, given Smith likes to play with a No. 6 and two No.8ís, itís seems like it would be one of Luiz or Marvelous playing behind Grealish and McGinn (with Hourihane and Lansbury as back up/alternative options for either) from what we have seen so far.

Iím donít think there is any way that Grealish plays anywhere other than as one of the two Ďnumber 8í central midfields anymore - he wonít play as one of our wide players. To be honest though, I think a midfield trio of Luiz, Grealish and McGinn has the potential to be at least a solid mid table level midfield. Itís the fact  that we are looking a bit short of quality in the wingers/wide forwards and striker role that is a bigger concern in my opinion.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #11672 on: September 18, 2019, 07:09:20 PM »
Itís early days yet, given Luiz and Marvelous have only played a handful of games so difficult to tell. However, given Smith likes to play with a No. 6 and two No.8ís, itís seems like it would be one of Luiz or Marvelous playing behind Grealish and McGinn (with Hourihane and Lansbury as back up/alternative options for either) from what we have seen so far.

Iím donít think there is any way that Grealish plays anywhere other than as one of the two Ďnumber 8í central midfields anymore - he wonít play as one of our wide players. To be honest though, I think a midfield trio of Luiz, Grealish and McGinn has the potential to be at least a solid mid table level midfield. Itís the fact  that we are looking a bit short of quality in the wingers/wide forwards and striker role that is a bigger concern in my opinion.

Here's the thing though - We can't do Jack Didlly about the wingers or striker until January.  However, we can take steps to ensure Jack plays further up the pitch.  Whatever we do, something has to give.  We have been overrun in midfield a couple of times and surely (especially away from home).  One way of countering this is to sacrifice one of the wide players for extra cover further back.  Both wing backs are able to advance into the final 3rd of the pitch, with the attacking midfielders/number 8s able to supplement them.

Offline Ads

• GM : 26.03.2020
« Reply #11673 on: September 18, 2019, 07:44:14 PM »
Nkamba

McGinn
Luiz

Grealish

With Grealish licence to drift and pull. We can then go with Trezuguet off Wesley. Two players getting closer and ideally, when Targett is fit, the full backs provide width knowing Marvellous is there to anchor.

Offline Newby

• GM : 01.12.2019
« Reply #11674 on: September 18, 2019, 07:52:23 PM »
Nkamba

McGinn
Luiz

Grealish

With Grealish licence to drift and pull. We can then go with Trezuguet off Wesley. Two players getting closer and ideally, when Targett is fit, the full backs provide width knowing Marvellous is there to anchor.

Ads, go over to the 'are we worried yet' thread and see my last post.  I think I have said pretty much the same.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #11675 on: September 19, 2019, 10:40:04 AM »
I donít necessarily disagreed with what you are saying. My point was more about how unlikely it is for Smith to switch from the 4-3-3 he has used so far. And also, how he sees the players that we have fitting into that - meaning that in my opinion itís pretty unlikely that we bring in Marvelous or Hourihane (for say, Jota) and then effectively have McGinn or Grealish playing in place of one of the wide players.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #11676 on: September 19, 2019, 10:47:53 AM »
It's 4-1-4-1 and with ball and moving forward shape is  4-3-3 when attacking . The shape reverts to 4-5-1 without the ball. That's how it goes.
Dean Smith plays wide forwards who come into penalty box to support the central attacking  and 2 8s or 10s and a 6 .(deep lying playmaker/holder)
Smith plays 8s though if he played Jota and Grealish then could act more as 2 number10s.

I actually miss Green and Adomah and obviously Abraham as wide striker . For squad either Green , Adomah could still have been involved as some option at some times during course of this season.
I could even argue a case for Whelan one year contract on and around the squad just for experience.

For the players we do have when Jimmy is back he needs to be involved in that front 3

Offline Luke8

« Reply #11677 on: September 19, 2019, 02:26:48 PM »
Yeah, the formation is fluid depending on the game situation. What I was getting at is that due to Smithís belief in his system, whatever formation you call it, I donít think we will see a time in the near future that we start anymore than three of Luiz, Nkamba, Hourihane, Grealish, McGinn or Lansbury.

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #11678 on: September 19, 2019, 05:03:23 PM »
If Luiz can more consistently swing in magical balls like Monday whic Jack almost got on the end of, I would have him in every time. He's learning fast and although his slightly langorous style can be a bit worrying when you have opposition players scampering all around him, I think he will come good as an excellent reader of the game and the master of the killer pass.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #11679 on: September 22, 2019, 08:03:48 PM »

As with the Palace match, made one purposeful run with the ball at their defence and we scored.

One.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 28.06.2019
« Reply #11680 on: September 22, 2019, 09:17:37 PM »

As with the Palace match, made one purposeful run with the ball at their defence and we scored.

One.

nowhere near good enough. I was willing to cut him slack as Smith's ludicrous tactics in midfield are not doing him favours. He is a really poor defender, doesnt press the ball effectively and is a liability on the edge of our own box frankly. So that part isnt his fault

But last 30 mins on Monday, and throughout the game today, Grealish's performance simply wasnt acceptable.

Taking little or no responsibility with the ball, failing to make himself available for the pass and ultimately not showing sufficient leadership. A player with his ability should be cruising in the extra space against 10 men.

That one purposeful run showed his immense quality but there is a real decision to be made over the captaincy I think.

Might take pressure off, has been so much hype over Grealish all summer but this season, like the playoff final, in danger of passing him by.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 26.01.2020
« Reply #11681 on: September 22, 2019, 09:28:27 PM »
It was his best game so far, he used the ball well, made the second goal and drew a stream of free kicks. Which we wasted.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #11682 on: September 22, 2019, 09:29:58 PM »
I canít see how we can expect Jackto be an attacking force if he is continually tracking runners and filling in gaps.
I thought he was one of our best players today, but he seems to be held to different standards to every other player.

Offline Ads

• GM : 26.03.2020
« Reply #11683 on: September 22, 2019, 09:31:25 PM »
It was his best game so far, he used the ball well, made the second goal and drew a stream of free kicks. Which we wasted.

He needs to have more faith around the box and shoot.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #11684 on: September 22, 2019, 09:36:09 PM »

One.

nowhere near good enough. I was willing to cut him slack as Smith's ludicrous tactics in midfield are not doing him favours. He is a really poor defender, doesnt press the ball effectively and is a liability on the edge of our own box frankly. So that part isnt his fault

But last 30 mins on Monday, and throughout the game today, Grealish's performance simply wasnt acceptable.

Taking little or no responsibility with the ball, failing to make himself available for the pass and ultimately not showing sufficient leadership.
A player with his ability should be cruising in the extra space against 10 men.

That one purposeful run showed his immense quality but there is a real decision to be made over the captaincy I think.

Might take pressure off, has been so much hype over Grealish all summer but this season, like the playoff final, in danger of passing him by.

Bloody hell, what game were you watching? Taking no responsibility? He constantly wanted the ball and generally used it well. He never hides, if anything he tends to do too much. I thought he had his best game so far.