collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish  (Read 788724 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Jack Grealish
« Reply #9750 on: October 24, 2018, 05:50:09 AM »
He was so brilliant last season that I still have faith

He does need to improve though and I wouldn't be disappointed if he doesn't start on Friday.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #9751 on: October 24, 2018, 06:28:54 AM »
Ireland scored 13 goals that season he had the good six months. I can't see Jack getting anywhere near that unless he changes his attitude in front of goal.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #9752 on: October 24, 2018, 07:28:56 AM »
We've been having a conversation about how great he could be for the last four years or thereabouts. He's not great. And I don't think he ever will be. And the only time he was anything like good was for a few months last season and when he played for a different team. The Grealish myth is just that. He needs to be dropped.

Offline john e

• GM : 21.01.2018
« Reply #9753 on: October 24, 2018, 08:07:13 AM »
There’s nothing wrong with Grealish
He’s one out of two (McGinn) who are capable of controlling a ball give it and move

last night he was the only player comfortable on the ball out of the whole side
he’s playing with a load of technically limited players

Smith passing style will come through in the end but he will have to use different players to get there and that will take time
we are heading in the right direction at last and Grealish will be key

Offline Ads

• Meff Magnet
  • GM : 18.03.2019
« Reply #9754 on: October 24, 2018, 08:12:06 AM »
The problem in midfield yesterday was Hourihane. Yes he did play, as easy as it was to forget. He did remind me by skying on first half and being subsititued.

No legs or drive and Grealish looked better in a two.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9755 on: October 24, 2018, 09:48:47 AM »
The problem in midfield yesterday was Hourihane. Yes he did play, as easy as it was to forget. He did remind me by skying on first half and being subsititued.

No legs or drive and Grealish looked better in a two.

I'd agree with that, hourihane was really poor from what I saw (I missed the first 20). When you add that the fact that he was fucked after an hour alongside Whelan who was also fucked after an hour it's fairly clear why they took control.

As I said in 1 of the threads yesterday though, there was a moment in the 2nd half where Grealish seemed to decide that the only option was to win free kicks and cross our fingers, from then on he was playing for fouls (and won shit loads) but our ball in from them wasn't good enough, I don't fault him for trying it though because our movement was poor once Adomah and Abraham went off.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #9756 on: October 24, 2018, 10:27:28 AM »
He perhaps gets a free pass and also a bit over hyped if honest .

Smith wants him to do more off the ball and yesterday from the get go several passes were misplaced or not finding team mate. I think the lad seemed confused in what he was doing at times .

He reminded me a bit of Alexis Sanchez struggles at man utd . Clearly talented but making wrong decisions or sloppy with the ball too many times .
Also tries too hard and needs to relax . The difference is the pace of these 2 players both on and off the ball.

It's been suggested Smithy wants him to get into the box and they have been doing work with him off the ball unfortunately that didn't amount to much yesterday and with the way he is do we not question his attitude?

If he wasn't Grealish he get a lot more stick.
If he was a rival club he both be dismissed as over rated and some one who is billy big time .

He fancies himself as a player, is the main guy at Villa, isn't the most intelligent or interesting guy off the pitch . (Irrelevant largely)

Henri Lansbury gets lammented for apperance but  Grealish gets worshipped
He gets laughed at by other fans for his diving, his hair and his lack of assists and goals   (appearance could care less)

The trouble with him even if he has stopped drinking and smoking is he thinks he made it.
I worry on his attitude on progression.
As he is someone who has ability but it's the motivation , desire , want to be the best and show that in his performances that now at 23 needs to be questioned.

The hope is that Smithy , JT and rest will kick his back side into gear to be more effective.

Running down blind alleys, winning free kicks, hitting walls with free kicks and never really impacting the whole 90 minutes in his championship seasons are his real contribution.

I think he is great still and so do many of us .
He's my favorite player.
But have had to stop and think a bit more on this one
The direct free kick in the 90 min was woeful getting the ball over and around the wall didn't seem capable.
But the assists and goals too are so poor considering his talent.

Elmohamedys and now to much annoyance his great mate Gary gards (who wish was here at Villa under Smith) have scored more goals this season .

He's another football who is resting on his laurels and hasn't kicked on at 23 years old.

Let's hope he gets the idea he is not finished article

Wilf zaha is perhaps best comparison someone who can beat players has a clear presence on the ball and outstanding ability but the return is lacking.

Ross Barkley in an English variety too

But James Maddison at 21 us a real example and would like Grealish to have dynamism and drive this guy has

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 10:29:06 AM by footyskillz »

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #9757 on: October 24, 2018, 11:08:34 AM »

At 23, Jack is not a kid anymore.

People really do need to stop making excuses for him and blaming everyone else for his form. It's not helping him develop.

He's been largely rubbish all season. Last night was the perfect example of him coasting through a game doing nothing he was actually there for and once again getting away with it. Nobody in the world will convince me he's giving it his all or playing his best. Because if he is he's got absolutely no chance of ever playing outside this league.

He's in the team to be our creative lynch pin, our number 10, our golden boy with the silky feet. At the moment he's playing like a bog standard championship player with zero end product. All he seems interested in doing is drawing fouls, and taking the easy pass on every time.

There are no killer passes, little to no shots and the set pieces ... let's not even go there.

On current form he doesn't even deserve a starting place, he's only getting one based on what he 'might' do clearly. And that really is not good enough.

One assist and no goals in fifteen games this season.

Elmo has two goals and four assists!
Hourihane has two goals and five assists! and he's played way less
McGinn has scored one and assisted three
Even Birkir has scored two!

It's absolutely piss poor whatever way you look at it. Either he pulls his finger out and adds something or he needs benching and a bollocking off Terry

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #9758 on: October 24, 2018, 11:24:25 AM »
Ahh coasting is so the right word that's the word I needed.

Hopefully the coaching team develop him to put end to his coasting. The more movement he and others do off the ball will go along way to helping him with assist and goals.
His dynamism needs to be address and Bruce use to challenge him in how much he can run and cover pitch where as I think needs a bit more to that simple approach.

Come on Jack don't to lose faith .
And I hope the rest of team give him options on the ball too but as a player who can do by self he needs to show he can too

Online paul_e

« Reply #9759 on: October 24, 2018, 12:30:22 PM »
The problem with a lot of those stats is that they don't really provide any context. Since the start of last season we've scored more goals with Grealish in the team than without him, in no small part because he creates space for other players just by being there. He is also involved in the moves that we score open play goals and wins most of the free kicks that we've scored from.

This isn't making excuses for him, he needs to do more, but it's pointing out that even though he's not been at his best he's still contributed to most of the good things we've done.  I think some people won't be satisfied with him unless he gets 10-15 goals and assists and we get promoted. It's that attitude which leads to us going for managers like Bruce and players like Hogan.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #9760 on: October 24, 2018, 12:46:38 PM »
Grealish has not even made double figure in villa career  let alone double figures in a season .
124 appearances 9 goals 16 assists.15 yellow cards 2 reds

Championship and play offs:
Overall 74 appearances 8 goals 12 assists 14 yellow cards and 1 red

Premier league :
34 appearance 1 goal 1 assists

Compare that to attacking midfielder and left wing support striker James maddison

Overall championship record
47 appearance 15 goals 8 assists

Last season 44 appearance 14 goals
Season before 3 appearance 1 goals

Premier league :
Leicester city this season 9 appearances 3 goals 2 assists .

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 12:50:06 PM by footyskillz »

Online paul_e

« Reply #9761 on: October 24, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »

Grealish has not even made double figure in whole career  let alone double figures in a season .

Overall 74 appearances 8 goals 12 assists 12 yellow cards and 1 red

Premier league :

Compare that to attacking midfielder and left wing support striker James maddison

Premier league :

The problem is they weren't trying to do the same job. My point was that I don't think Grealish was ever going to get that many goals (but he will get a lot more assists) because it's not the role he plays, what he's been doing is drawing in defenders, creating space for other players and then putting them in to create the chances, look back at the number of goals in the last 9-10 months where he played the pass before the assist and you'll see what I mean.

The key thing to improving him though isn't about getting JT to bollock him or dumping him in the reserves for a few games, it's about getting the movement around him better so when he draws a defender in we're moving into the gap and exploiting that space.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #9762 on: October 24, 2018, 12:56:52 PM »
I defend Jack because I like talent, it was the same with Amavi getting stick so I hope those who could not see further than his failings are happy with Taylor.
Yes he should be getting involved further up the pitch, the problem with that is the further up the pitch you go, the less space there is so unless they get the ball to you quickly then there is no point in him going there. I guess he could wait for Hourihane Taylor Whelan Hutton to get the ball to him quickly and you can see the obvious flaw in that idea.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #9763 on: October 24, 2018, 12:58:16 PM »

Grealish has not even made double figure in whole career  let alone double figures in a season .

Overall 74 appearances 8 goals 12 assists 12 yellow cards and 1 red

Premier league :

Premier league :

The problem is they weren't trying to do the same job. My point was that I don't think Grealish was ever going to get that many goals (but he will get a lot more assists) because it's not the role he plays, what he's been doing is drawing in defenders, creating space for other players and then putting them in to create the chances, look back at the number of goals in the last 9-10 months where he played the pass before the assist and you'll see what I mean.

The key thing to improving him though isn't about getting JT to bollock him or dumping him in the reserves for a few games, it's about getting the movement around him better so when he draws a defender in we're moving into the gap and exploiting that space.
And doing a lot more with the free kicks he wins.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #9764 on: October 24, 2018, 12:59:58 PM »
Forty have yu got the  stats from last night?