collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Matt Targett - signed  (Read 15314 times)

Offline nigel

Re: Matt Targett - signed
« Reply #225 on: December 12, 2019, 05:25:03 PM »
This thread is similar to the Alan Hutton one after his tackle on Shane Long.
Unpopular player getting slated for a tackle.
Hutton, was absolutely hammered with comments like ĎDefinitely a redí ĎAnimalí ĎShould never wear Villa shirt againí . All for a perfectly good, hard, tackle.
Difference being Targets was a foul.  The ref deemed it a yellow, VAR didnít disagree. Did he get lucky? Perhaps he did, but, maybe the ref was right in this instance.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #226 on: December 12, 2019, 05:40:27 PM »
I bet no one insinuates these two support another team for saying exactly the same thing I did.  ::)

Skip to 32:32

Offline Ian J

• GM : 10.09.2020
« Reply #227 on: December 12, 2019, 05:56:08 PM »
He was reckless but not malicious, it happens in football. It was probably a red and Iím sure there would not of been too much argument.

However heís alright, I like him, heís better than anyone weíve had their for a while. His link up play further up the pitch has been very good.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #228 on: December 12, 2019, 08:06:36 PM »
The worst thing about the tackle for me was that it was one of those cowardly ones, knowing full well that his opponent was in no position to take evasive action or put in a forceful challenge of his own - in effect an unmissable target (pun intended).  He was an 'extremely lucky boy' to have not been sent off and to have risked a 3 match ban for such a pointless gesture does him little credit.

Offline WassallVillain

« Reply #229 on: December 13, 2019, 11:24:17 PM »
Two wrongs donít make a right but if I remember correctly Targett was the victim of an equally bad tackle very early in the game where the Leicester player looked more out of control. Seeing the Targett tackle video it looks really bad but it was very close to me and did not look that bad at the time. Could easily have been a VAR red.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #230 on: December 14, 2019, 08:07:23 PM »
A very disappointing start to his Villa  career.

I've seen better full backs in the Championship.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
« Reply #231 on: December 14, 2019, 08:37:44 PM »
He's just very average. Not the worst footballer given he can cross and link up with Grealish but not a great defender at all. 14m for a Southampton reserve, we could've done better there.

Also seems to be wanting new year off given he's picked up three yellows in last three games with rash challenges.

Offline malckennedy

« Reply #232 on: December 14, 2019, 08:48:18 PM »
Yeah. Iíve been happy for him to be in there because heís better than Taylor, but thatís a very low bar.

I have a mate who is a season ticket holder at Southampton and he told me he didnít think we should sign him last summer. He actually described him as crap.

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #233 on: December 14, 2019, 08:51:24 PM »
He's good on the ball, but just too slow to be consistently good as a Premier League full back.  Anybody with pace in their side pinpoint him, and he just can't handle it, see Wolves, Man U and Leicester for recent examples.

Online Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2020
« Reply #234 on: December 14, 2019, 08:53:30 PM »
He's good on the ball, but just too slow to be consistently good as a Premier League full back.  Anybody with pace in their side pinpoint him, and he just can't handle it, see Wolves, Man U and Leicester for recent examples.
He certainly got targetted today (excusing the pun). Norwood and SheffU absolutely blitzed their right hand side.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 28.06.2019
« Reply #235 on: December 14, 2019, 08:55:32 PM »
Yeah. Iíve been happy for him to be in there because heís better than Taylor, but thatís a very low bar.

I have a mate who is a season ticket holder at Southampton and he told me he didnít think we should sign him last summer. He actually described him as crap.

Your mate was right. Targett is crap. Serious lack of bottle too.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #236 on: December 14, 2019, 09:03:51 PM »
He had a hard time today, overall I havenít been that impressed

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #237 on: December 14, 2019, 09:12:50 PM »
Guilbert has been decent and has the pace to be a success in the Premier League.  It's a mark of how inconsistent our transfer dealings were that we got a good young player like him for relative peanuts, but then spent three times as much on crap like Targett who wasn't wanted by Southampton.