collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Laws of the game  (Read 5157 times)

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
Re: Laws of the game
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 05:08:04 PM »
I thought he had been sent to the stands but with all the mayhem and the match ending virtually straight away, he never got there.

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »
I have a question. If a team in a cup match get a player sent off and they go to penalties what happens on the 11th round of penalties? Do the team with 10 men have 'no shot'? Or do they start using players from the beginning again? If the latter they get an advantage that the 11 man team have to use their worst penalty taker, and the 10 man team, presumably their best.
Doesn't the second team nominate a player not to take a pen?

When one team has finished the penalties, they have to restart using the same order.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 06:34:47 PM »
Why do Refs use the unfair advantage when adjudicating Hand Ball decisions as opposed to using the Laws of the game that quite clearly state that hand ball has to be deliberate?

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 06:51:07 PM »
I don't have an up-to-date copy of the official referee's chart on the laws of the game, and haven't had for many years now but it used to be full of "in the opinion of the referee".  And therein lies your answer.

Offline keving

• GM : 23.06.2020
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 07:54:05 PM »
I've been playing football with my son again and more questions came up. If you take a throw in and it goes in the goal, how do you restart the game. Originally I said it was a foul throw so the opposition would get the throw, but I think thats wrong. I now think if the throw was legal then you would restart with either a goalkick or a corner. Thoughts?

If you were playing and still had subs and goalkeeper available could you swap one of your outfield players for your goalkeeper and keeper move as an out field player and not use someone off the bench. If you can would it count as one of your substitutions

In answer to previous post Simeone was sent off

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 07:55:23 PM »
Goal-kick to the first one.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 07:56:51 PM »
Yes. It would not be classed as a substitution as no-one has been replaced.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 08:37:02 PM »

Offline Dlp

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 10:26:09 PM »
I've been playing football with my son again and more questions came up. If you take a throw in and it goes in the goal, how do you restart the game. Originally I said it was a foul throw so the opposition would get the throw, but I think thats wrong. I now think if the throw was legal then you would restart with either a goalkick or a corner. Thoughts?

Peter Enkleman may know the answer ;D

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 01:02:25 AM »
...but David Elleray certainly wouldn't!!!

Offline davevillan

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 01:04:55 AM »
I don't have an up-to-date copy of the official referee's chart on the laws of the game, and haven't had for many years now but it used to be full of "in the opinion of the referee".  And therein lies your answer.
dave it hasnt been called the chart for many years ;-)
You have answered the questions pretty much spot on dave, im having trouble keeping up with all the questions tbh.
Regarding the question on the abandoned game , the result would be determined by the league/competion rules.

Offline davevillan

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 01:08:28 AM »
That should have been a corner, but in defense of the ref, he probably gave his decision based on enklemans reaction, giving the impression he had touched the ball
Peter Enkleman may know the answer ;D

Offline davevillan

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 01:11:00 AM »

If you were playing and still had subs and goalkeeper available could you swap one of your outfield players for your goalkeeper and keeper move as an out field player and not use someone off the bench. If you can would it count as one of your substitutions

In answer to previous post Simeone was sent off
As long as the ref is asked first its fine.

Offline davevillan

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2014, 01:23:15 AM »
Why do Refs use the unfair advantage when adjudicating Hand Ball decisions as opposed to using the Laws of the game that quite clearly state that hand ball has to be deliberate?
Its all down to 'opinion'.if a players hands/arms are outstretched and the ball hits them then the advice is handball as they are making themselves bigger and trying to prevent the cross...
To try and simplify, a ref sees an incident and has one view, he/she then makes a judgement call based on what they see, and then they apply law depending on their decision.
When i teach on a basic refs course, we always have a quick test before to see how much people know, it wont surprise you to know that nearly all dont know as much as they thought, it opens their eyes.

Offline PONGO49

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2014, 06:42:58 PM »
http://areferee.com/soccer.php

just realized that I know nothing about refereeing, I will never criticize a nother referee again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal