collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Laws of the game  (Read 5185 times)

Online keving

• GM : 23.06.2020
Laws of the game
« on: May 24, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »
Hi all, First time poster here, or maybe second. can't remember, anyway I thought a thread about Laws of the game might be interesting. My question was asked by my 10 year old. If a game is abandonded because a team is reduced to 7 players( I think thats what happens). Will the sending offs and cautions still be counted. I said yes because they occurred when the game was played. Thoughts?

Another thing he asked was if a player is sent off he has to leave the field of play. Sometimes you see them appear at the entrance of the tunnel. How can this not be an areaa of play as you can still be sent off in the tunnel e.g. for fighting etc.  I'm sure he has more to ask but that will do for now.

Thanks enjoy reading your forum

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Laws of the game
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 05:59:35 PM »
I believe that the sending-offs and cautions would still be counted.

Second question is an interesting one.

Online keving

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 06:05:24 PM »
If the cautions etc. stood would any goals scored count?.  If the game was abandonded would it be awarded to the team that didn't go down to 7 men, if it did is there a standard score given when this occurs. I seem to remember its usually scored as 3-0, but that might just be me imagining it.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »
Remember the 'Battle of Bramall Lane'?

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 06:14:09 PM »
In the case of abandoned games, cautions and sending offs stand.

Regarding the second question, there are things to be considered: if it's a grass roots match (parks etc) as a referee you have to use common sense.  If as a referee you are happy that the dismissed player is going to behave himself then, quite reasonably he may be allowed to stand on the side until the game concludes. This makes sense because the dressing rooms may be located away from the pitch and may well be locked.  If the referee considers the dismissed player may be disruptive he would be within his rights to ask the officials of his club to remove him.

In the event that the match takes place on a private pitch the same criteria can be applied, the only difference being that the referee may insist the player be removed from all areas.  This happened to me when I gave a referee dogs abuse for incompetence resulting in the injury of two players.  I was acting as "sponge man" on the day.  I got fined £30 and banned for a month.  I should have known better.  I'm not proud.

As you progress higher up the pyramid criteria changes and dismissed players may have to retreat to a position in the stand.  The rules of the competition the match is being played under will always dictate.

Things have changed since my day but, I hope what I have said makes sense and helps.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 07:03:04 PM »
If the cautions etc. stood would any goals scored count?.  If the game was abandonded would it be awarded to the team that didn't go down to 7 men, if it did is there a standard score given when this occurs. I seem to remember its usually scored as 3-0, but that might just be me imagining it.

When it happened before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bramall_Lane

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 07:13:32 PM »
Refreshing thread.  Reminds me of the old 'you're the ref' cartoons. 

Online keving

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 07:26:07 PM »
Another one. I was watching a program with Collina(Italian Ref), he was talking about the official behind the goal and used Kieron Gibbs sending off as an example. He said if the 5th official was behind the goal line as they are in europa competition, He would have spotted the handball, who did it and that the ball was going wide so Gibbs should only have had a yellow card. I thought it was the intent to prevent a goal scoring chance was the reason to be sent off, Gibbs obviously thought the ball was going in or he wouldn't have handballed it. So what Collini was basically saying was he tried to prevent a goal illegally but because it was actually going wide it was only a yellow card, I think that's nonsense, what do you think ?

Online keving

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 07:29:42 PM »
Thanks Dave, Do the goals still count on individual scoring recrds or are they wiped out?

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 07:43:48 PM »
Goals don't stand either.  Regarding the Colina thing, I personally think he's talking rubbish but, it can be argued that he's trying, as most referee's will do, to try and keep as many players on the pitch as is possible.  The thing is Kevking, as with all contentious refereeing decisions, they are debated on here to death.  The problem being IMO the laws of Association Football are so wide open to interpretation that, it's no wonder there are so many disputed calls.  You see it nearly every week at all levels of football; the same kind of infringement happening and referees up and down the country giving different decisions.  It's no wonder sometimes that followers of football continually claim that there's no consistency with referees.  I personally think given what they have to gon on, there's no such thing.  The best any referee can do is to be consistent with himself, ie if he gives a free kick for a player putting his hand in front of his face for "protection" during one match at the start of a season then, he continues to give that same free kick every time it happens.

Remember the matchboxes years ago that had these little motto's written on the back?  I remember reading one once that said, "football is a game played by twenty-two players and 30,000 referees".  Hope this gives you a better understanding as to why the majority of the football populous hates us.

Online keving

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 10:03:01 PM »
I dont hate refs I think they usually do a good job. I've lost count of the times I thought refs had got it wrong then watched it again and they have been right. I ask these questions because my son at 10 takes every thing literally and when i say something and the ref says or does something else he gets confused. He's only just got into football so I'm trying to encourage him as much as I can.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 07:49:24 AM »
I have a question. If a team in a cup match get a player sent off and they go to penalties what happens on the 11th round of penalties? Do the team with 10 men have 'no shot'? Or do they start using players from the beginning again? If the latter they get an advantage that the 11 man team have to use their worst penalty taker, and the 10 man team, presumably their best.

Offline RossLeach

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 08:00:49 AM »
I have a question. If a team in a cup match get a player sent off and they go to penalties what happens on the 11th round of penalties? Do the team with 10 men have 'no shot'? Or do they start using players from the beginning again? If the latter they get an advantage that the 11 man team have to use their worst penalty taker, and the 10 man team, presumably their best.
Doesn't the second team nominate a player not to take a pen?

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »
Yes

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 04:03:22 PM »
Dont know about the laws of the game but i now have a certain amount of sympathy for Jose Mourinho`s complaints over his sending off at Villa Park after watching Diego Simieone`s antics in last nights Champions Leage Final, how did he not get sent off for that??. My opinion is probably coloured somewhat by my deep-rooted pathalogical hatred of any Argentinian called Diego, but even so, there is a massive inconsistency there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal