collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner - How will his reign be remembered?  (Read 37365 times)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: Randy Lerner - How will his reign be remembered?
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2015, 09:57:12 PM »
If we stay up and win the FA Cup, he might even change his mind about selling.
I think he might well stop actively looking for a buyer regardless.

It looks like the club has reached a point where it's pretty much self sustaining.
It looks like he's got a CEO in place who can actually run the club as opposed to Paul Faulkner who in retrospect seems to have been more of an operations manager type role.

If these two points pan out it's probably actually easier to keep us than try to sell us with the proviso that everything has it's price so if the right if the right "sort" turns up with a difficult to turn down kind of offer.

He's certainly in a position where he can sit back from any day to day affairs (which is probably better for him and us) and only be involved in big decisions, extra investment, sign off on change of manager and such like.

Good points ViD. If I was Lerner I wouldn't sell, with the decisions he's made in the last 12 months, Lambert contract aside, are possibly the best he's made since he bought the club. It's ironic that as he's started to do that he's put it up for sale. Bizarre.....

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #226 on: May 06, 2015, 10:07:13 AM »
2006-2010 A new start and a dream ticket of an astute manager and a moneyed owner. What could possibly go wrong. Well it all blossomed a lot quicker than expected before the realisation set in that the manager wasn't quite up to his reputation and the owner was still only a billionaire after all. In retrospect, O'Neill was probably the manager from hell. A big risk if you said 'yes' and even bigger if you said 'no', courtesy of his media friends. Maybe we climbed too quickly in year two and money ended up being spent on shoring up faltering top 4 charges from launched from feet of clay, rather than investing with the long term in mind. We won fuck all, O'Neill's CV got worse rather than better and Lerner got poorer.

2010-11 Tries to do right thing, but ends up spending big money merely to arrest decline. The rivets are staring to pop.

2011-12 Can't do right for doing wrong. It starts to become apparent that the club is in serious financial crap. Brickbats that consisted of 'should have done more to keep O'Neill' are replaced with 'should have got rid sooner'. We didn't want the new manager before he arrived and it didn't get any better.

2013-2015 Did we do a Leeds? Pfft - amateurs. They may have had tens of thousands of pounds worth of tropical fish in the boardroom, but we got a 4 mill pub at the end of the street. With a 43 million pound loss posted at one stage and players contracts we can no longer afford we ought to be swimming in the same divisional backwaters as other financially knackered former greats. But we arent. Lerner sticks at it and takes a shedload of financial pain himself. Against this backdrop we unbelievably see out the storm and stay in the premier league. It's actually a minor miracle, but are people grateful or even offering a proverbial pat on the back?

On the pitch, Lamberts team is like a motor bike struggling to start. Fits of cylinders briefly spitting into life, but mostly the dispiriting lifeless whirr that suggests it's going to take a good deal more than a beefy kick start to get on the road.

2015 more compo and another fresh face, Well, fresh if you ignore the effects of sleep privation. From absolutely nowhere we are playing the best football seen from a Villa team for decades. We're are in the Cup Final and with greater reason for hope we had in 1957, let alone 2000. I actually want Lerner to stay. New owners may bring better executive management but it's only going to seem even less like my Aston Villa than it already does. I hope he's at the cup final and sees us win. It's not just the supporters that deserve a grand day in the sun after so many years of pain.

The future belongs to Louzie.

Offline Dominic22

« Reply #227 on: May 06, 2015, 04:13:32 PM »
I like him, think he really has the best interests of the club at heart but unfortunately life got in the way. Messy Divorce, kids moving out and to different schools, us 3000 miles away all leads to the last couple of years.

The numbers between our every day lives and his are of course different but I think he faced the same midlife pressures that a lot of us have faced and like when people avoid those issues for "another day" he did the same. The geography just makes it a bit easier for him to do it.

I would like to see him stay as I am very protective of the heritage of the club so always fear change and new owners as ultimately the club and it's cultural heritage is more important than short term results. 

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #228 on: May 06, 2015, 05:57:47 PM »
According to Tom Fox at the Trust AGM he changed his mind about selling it shortly after saying it was for sale. If it was being touted for sale Fox wouldn't have come.

Right bid for us and Randy it will be sold but that is nowhere on the horizon.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2015, 06:11:04 PM »
For sheer incompetence.  No let's be charitable, a well meaning buffoon.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal