collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner - How will his reign be remembered?  (Read 37361 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Randy Lerner - How will his reign be remembered?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 10:28:56 AM »
There have been many faux-pas under Randy's tenure but for me the biggest bollock dropped by far was when they started playing Chelsea fucking Dagger after we scored.  I still cannot believe somebony at the club thought that was a good idea. 

That is a freaky coincidence

Last night my Mrs was watching something on telly and they played that song. I turned around and said "I fucking hate that song". She said "me too".

I then started saying "I remember once at Villa Park, when we scored, and ...." at which point she shouted at me to shut up as she knew it was a football story.

Offline supertom

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »
Came flying out the start line but no one told him he was in a marathon and not a sprint. His expensive isotonic drinks got him up near the front of the pack but burned a whole in his wallet. He got half way round the track and his legs gave out, finding himself struggling at the back with the fat blokes and the runners in animal costumes. Now his Asda smart price isotonics don't give him much of a boost at all. They just make his gut funny, and he continues just about keeping ahead of the 3 slowest runners. He's spent 3 years crawling to the finishline and if he stays in the race another year he probably won't make it and end up being taken out by ambulance to Championship Hospital in South Purgatory.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 10:51:08 AM »
Started well, off and on the pitch. Trusted MON too much without having another football man in place. Just as stability was attained MON left and Lerner never recovered from the aftershock.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »
Tried to go for gold, ended up with tin.

Offline regular_john

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 11:15:56 AM »
Overall, positively. I think Randy is a good bloke who tried his best and put a lot of effort, heart, and money into the task at hand. He seemed to embrace the history of the club and did many great things to make the fans smile. Unfortunately, he also made a lot of daft decisions and was ultimately undone by his lack of football nous and the absence of any advisers to plug the gap.

Regardless, he made us dream for a little while and for that I say thank you, Randy.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 11:18:56 AM »
As Sven Goran Ericksson might put it, first half, good.  Second half, not so good.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 11:19:05 AM »
A lovely man and the single worst hirer of managers in the known history of the universe. Caligula was better at appointments.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 11:20:48 AM »
A lovely man and the single worst hirer of managers in the known history of the universe. Caligula was better at appointments.

Caligula was better at managing fiances too. Bankrupt my arse, how did Claudius afford to invade Britain if he'd bankrupted the state? Ah? AH!

Claigula in!

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 11:24:50 AM »
I think he'll be remembered as someone who gave up when the going got a bit rough. These last 4 appalling seasons erase all the feel good factor he created in his early years.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »

Caligula was better at managing fiances too. Bankrupt my arse, how did Claudius afford to invade Britain if he'd bankrupted the state? Ah? AH!

Claigula in!

Too fecking right. Why should we believe Tacitus etc? Dey just b jealz that Caligz b gettin all da bitchez.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 11:32:33 AM »
He put a hell of a lot of money into my club.  Improving so many things, and being a perfect owner in so many ways.  He, unlike so many of todays owners really cared about the club, and tried to make the best decisions based on this rather than basing them on financial, hard nosed, business decisions.  I cant blame a man for caring too much, and ruling with his heart rather than his head.  Because to be fair, he probably has done exactly what i would have done if i had my dream to own the best club in the world.  I think im pretty ruthless in my job, but matters of the heart, like my club, or my daughter, im a pushover

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »

Claigula in!

Too fecking right. Why should we believe Tacitus etc? Dey just b jealz that Caligz b gettin all da bitchez.

Romanes eunt domus.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 11:38:47 AM »
As odd as it may sound, I think the long-term perception of Randy's time at Villa will be largely influenced by who he sells to. If he finds an Ellison-type who comes in and throws money around, we'll all remember Randy as a great bloke who did the right thing for the club when he realised he couldn't go any further. If he sells to a half-arsed consortium of randoms, who don't, then we'll remember him as a tight-arse who oversaw the start of the decay of our great club.

In my opinion, we're all quite fond of Doug these days because (we thought) he sold to the right guy.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:49:30 AM by RussellC »

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »
As Sven Goran Ericksson might put it, first half, good.  Second half, not so good.

That's a good point.

In fact, I'd say, given he's had eight seasons, his reign has been like many Villa matches this season.

One good half, one bad one.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 11:41:20 AM »
As odd as it may sound, I think the long-term perception of Randy's time at Villa will be largely influenced by who he sells to. If he finds a Ellison-type who comes in and throws money around, we'll all remember Randy as a great bloke who did the right thing for the club when he realised he couldn't go any further. If he sells to a half-arsed consortium of randoms, who don't, then we'll remember him as a tight-arse who oversaw the start of the decay of our great club.

In my opinion, we're all quite fond of Doug these days because (we thought) he sold to the right guy.

Spot on

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal