collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I must be in the minority...  (Read 13859 times)

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: I must be in the minority...
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 11:44:18 AM »
Lambert says it was a tremendous achievement to stay in prem

with the team third from bottom finishing with 33 points ?

He should have gone with the other two twerps ( is that a word )

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 11:48:14 AM »
I was with the OP until about a month ago but not now.

I wanted badly for it to work with Lambert but the combined weight of the  Karsa/Culverhouse saga, dreadful results and performances and baffling tactics mean the quicker he moves on the better IMO.

Offline Mr Speedy H

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 11:49:13 AM »
In the modern era of football it's almost impossible to find a club who stick with a manager for longer than a year. Look at Fulham - they were struggling so got through three managers in one season. That's atrocious, personally.

How are managers meant to learn, adapt, improve themselves, if they get sacked after one run of bad performances? This is another reason why I'm proud of Aston Villa. They stuck with Lambert even though we were struggling and it's (sorta) paid off as we're still in the Premier League, and on the brink of a sale with a much healthier and attractive wage bill.

As for the long balls stat: although that's surprising, it's not unexpected. We had a very inexperienced team who, at times, panicked and resorted to hoofing the ball up the pitch. When you're in a losing situation and you panic, you don't think about playing the ball across the floor to a nearby player - you get it out of the danger area.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 11:52:26 AM »
The 'in the know' pundits all seem to think that Lambert is doing a good job. 15th and 38 points is woeful for Aston Villa. However, I think any manager would have struggled with the squad we have. I can't believe that if he had the option of signing players who are established at the top level he would have still chosen to gamble on League One players. Part of me thinks he should be given the opportunity to show us what he can do with a more realistic budget and then I think not as he has presided over some deeply embarrassing results. To be honest unless we have some real investment in the playing staff then I can't see the point in changing the manager. Pulis or Allardyce would keep us up but they aren't going to please the fans. As it stands the club needs a lot of changes before we even think about ditching the manager.

Offline Mr Speedy H

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 11:54:42 AM »
...and then I think not as he has presided over some deeply embarrassing results.

Yes, but then we also have some excellent results. Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea spring to mind.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 11:55:39 AM »

stability is needed ?

jesus wept

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 11:58:53 AM »
...and then I think not as he has presided over some deeply embarrassing results.

Yes, but then we also have some excellent results. Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea spring to mind.

true  but not many , not as many as palace and sunderland etc etc and still can not believe we won the Man city game . I was over the moon with chavski result , not sure we would have won it with will I am not being sent off.

I thought we were good against Liverpool , my favourite performance but there was so many terrible performances too . We broke every awful record this year and our better players have been the ones were MON's signings.

I just can not believe how backwards we have gone since the first two games .
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:00:43 PM by JUAN PABLO »

Offline davisa

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »
My issue with Lambert now is the fact his 2 assistants are no longer at the club, the two men he's had by his side since he set out as a manager.  How does he go about replacing them if they're the only 2 guys he's ever worked with?  Whoever he was to recruit now would almost be undergoing a trial, something Villa cannot afford to take the risk in doing.  We should thank Cowens and Given for stepping up in the short term but do any of us really believe they're the men for the job in the long term?

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 12:00:58 PM »

I agree. Do they outweigh Bradford,Sheff Utd,Millwall, Wigan at home, 8 zip at Chelsea though? I'm nowhere near being anti Lambert but he has been very fortunate with the patience the fans and the board have afforded him. For me he hasn't been given the chance to showcase his ability as a manager. Whether the last two seasons have affected him is the concern

Offline supertom

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 12:01:21 PM »
Lambert is well out of his depth. He still would be even with a bigger budget. He's got no tactical nous at all and 9/10 makes the wrong decision.
Keep him at the club and we're just setting ourselves up for another season of struggle. The more we flirt with relegation, the more chance we'll eventually go down.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 12:08:59 PM »
Lambert is well out of his depth. He still would be even with a bigger budget. He's got no tactical nous at all and 9/10 makes the wrong decision.
Keep him at the club and we're just setting ourselves up for another season of struggle. The more we flirt with relegation, the more chance we'll eventually go down.

With the current squad it is inevitable. Personally I think managing to keep that group of players in the top flight is an achievement. If the entire squad was put up for sale tomorrow i'd say only three or four would go to Premiership clubs.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 12:10:07 PM »
He lost it with me when he had the gall to tell me that we needed a No 10 and then further patronised by explaining what one was and did before finally not signing one despite everyone on God's green Earth saying we needed one for the previous 18 months!

10 home losses/20 Premier League defeats in a season/0-8/Bradford/Millwall/Sheffield United/ less points

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 12:13:44 PM »

The problem is, those matches you mention consist of one third of our entire win count, and we managed to lose more than half the matches we played this season - P38 W10 D7 L21.

They were good results and performances, yes, but they're of limited use if you go on to get your arse comprehensively handed to you by the likes of Fulham, Palace or Stoke, all of whom did the double over us.

Offline supertom

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 12:15:18 PM »

With the current squad it is inevitable. Personally I think managing to keep that group of players in the top flight is an achievement. If the entire squad was put up for sale tomorrow i'd say only three or four would go to Premiership clubs.
He bought most of these players and chose to alienate established Premier League players at the club. He spent almost 40 million in two summers as well. Not a great deal, but not peanuts either. Instead of the 13-14 players he bought, he could have bought half as many players who were better quality.

Ultimately, results fall on the managers head. Look at what Pulis managed at Palace with a poorer squad and less money. And Pulis is an average manager.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »

true  but not many , not as many as palace and sunderland etc etc and still can not believe we won the Man city game . I was over the moon with chavski result , not sure we would have won it with will I am not being sent off.

I thought we were good against Liverpool , my favourite performance but there was so many terrible performances too . We broke every awful record this year and our better players have been the ones were MON's signings.

I just can not believe how backwards we have gone since the first two games .

Things like that is just being negative for the shake of it.  We fully deserved that win against Chelsea, yes things might have been different without the sending offs, but that is Football, we played our part, the rest is fate.

There's been so many down points this season can we at least enjoy the few highs...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal