collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I must be in the minority...  (Read 13954 times)

Offline Mr Speedy H

I must be in the minority...
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:47:43 AM »
...but I want Lambert to stay.

As Villa fans we all know one thing. The last three seasons we have been more than lucky. We have avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth which is not good enough for the mighty Aston Villa.

However.

When you look at it Lambert was bought in to do one thing: minimise the wage bill; a task made infinitely difficult by the fact he had to completely restructure a team, and throw out the crap from the previous two, three, even four seasons, purchased at high prices on ridiculous wages. It's clear to see that some of PL's signings were also utter rubbish and didn't work out the way he planned, but you show me a club where every single signing has worked out perfectly. On the other hand, there are a few good players that have worked out.

PL's tactics weren't perfect either but I'd love you to show me a manager who gets every decision spot-on. We're playing in the most advanced, quickest, most aggressive, talented and spectacular football league in the world. Things will never always go in our favour.

I'd be stupid if I said that we're not a struggling club and there were times this season when I literally sat down and worked out how likely we were to be sent down, which ended with a 'highly likely' most of the times. For the last three seasons we've been flirting with relegation and I think that's something Lerner has realised. He knows we can't carry on with little to no investment or we'll end up like Leeds, Wigan, Portsmouth, and start on a steep and slippery slope to the lower leagues.

I'm fully aware that continuing in this state will send us down, it's obvious and it doesn't take a genius to see it, but I just think sacking Lambert will be us wasting a good manager. The club is as good as sold (according to a lot of people in a lot of places), so let someone come in who will allow Lambert a bit more freedom and money, and I'm sure he'll do a better job. If, by Christmas, he's not stepped things up then I'll be the first to say he should go, but I firmly believe now is not the time.

Before you start ripping me apart, I'm not saying that another manager wouldn't have done a better job but with the task ahead I think a few of them would have run away without reaching the end of the interview. Which is something I admire PL for. He actually stepped up to the plate and took this job on. It's not been easy, and he's perhaps not done it to the standard that us Villa fans would like, but there is one thing that we can all thank him for: He's kept us in the Premier League.

I just wanted to share my opinion.

Love & hugs.

Mark

Online lovejoy

Re: I must be in the minority...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:56:12 AM »
I agree, with the imminent sale, a degree of stability is needed. Unless a billionaire is coming in to throw around huge sacks of cash, we are better off with the devil we know.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »
'...tactics weren't perfect...'

An understaement of monumental proportion.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:57:16 AM »
Happy to be in this minority. 

Online Gerrin

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 10:57:45 AM »
Well I agree with you. If Benteke had been fit all season we'd have finished much higher up.

Offline DBTW

• http://fansunite.17.forumer.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:08:12 AM »
For me, any manager who loses over two legs to a fourth division team, doesnt deserve to be the manager of Aston Villa

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 11:12:22 AM »
Well I agree with you. If Benteke had been fit all season we'd have finished much higher up.

Maybe, he did only get ten goals when he was fit, and really didn't look like the player of last season.  He is still young though, and most players don't peak until their late 20's good news is that he will surely be with us next season.

I agree with a lot of what Mr Speedy said.  Lambert took over at a very bad time, having to rebuild almost a whole side with very little money too spend.  His signings have been mostly miss and overall I think he is struggling to make the step up to a bigger club.  But there have been small signs than if he had the backing than he could still do a good job.  I too would give him until Christmas (that is if new signings were made), but its moot now anyway as if we get sold then I think a new manager will be in change next season.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »
We've finished as the team who've played the most long balls in a division containing Allardyce and Pulis, and in the service of a joy-sucking relegation fight. That's utterly unacceptable.

Offline django

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 11:17:28 AM »
He has been unlucky with injuries, and been dealt a tough hand (as was McLeish) in relentlessly cutting costs and losing our sense of direction as a result.

But he's a busted flush now with us, not all his fault maybe but thems the breaks. Looking on the upside, he can check his bank account and see that he's a multi millionaire. He'll cope.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »
Time to get Alan Sugar on his ass.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 11:28:44 AM »
The Karsa Culverhouse situation alone looks like meriting the P45 to me.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 11:35:33 AM »
Yes, i think he should go also, without doubt.  I'm not sure he will, or indeed whether its a good idea to do anything until the club is sold though.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »
The Karsa Culverhouse situation alone looks like meriting the P45 to me.

I agree

what was he doing when this was going on .   

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 11:40:34 AM »
can just say that I am Speedy's pharmaceutical distributor

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 11:42:58 AM »
I can see this getting merged with the Lambert thread soon as it will be the same things said on both.

I think Lambert has had a harder job than most of us thought, however, whether he's had to cope with financial restraints, injuries, his backroom staff fucking him over or whatever else may or may not be going on, it's no excuse for the utter dross style of football we play most weeks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal