collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: So who do you want as the next Villa manager?  (Read 44105 times)

Offline Londonvilla

So who do you want as the next Villa manager?
« on: May 11, 2014, 09:44:43 PM »

Well, well, well what a season, it started so well, away in North London, and ended pathetically away in North London. It’s important that I put my cards on the table I’m a Paul Lambert fan, I blame our current position on our in experience Chief Executive and our owner who is only interested in recovering all the money that Martin O’Neill wasted. Paul Lambert record in the past show that he is an initiative coach, who favours attacking football, however this season has seen him failed to do the one thing that would have ensured he had the backing of the fans and that was to provide entertainment at Villa Park. When is the last time we were properly entertained over a season at Villa Park? (A season and a half under Martin O’Neill and then you have to go back to John Gregory’s time at the club)

There’s going to be an announcement tomorrow, (or in the next few days) and I sure that the club will part company with Paul Lambert and start the search for the next Villa manager so I’ve put together a long-list of the runners and riders taking into consideration the fact that we need a manager who:

a)   realistically will come to the club
b)   can work with a small transfer budget (£15 million)
c)   can develop our younger players (we won the next gen tournament yet none of those players feature in our first-team squad )
d)   has a track record of playing entertaining, passing football

I think the club realistically should have a short-list of three people who can take the Villa forward and provide hope, and entertainment for the fans (boy do we deserve a little bit of both)

So here’s my long list of possible Villa managers

Alan Pardew – He is going to get the push from Newcastle and he always does well for a season and a half. Wouldn’t it be great to see him in the ring at Villa Park against Mike Tyson.

Darren Ferguson – Peterborough always punches above their weight, Ferguson plays attacking football on limited resources as they always have to sell their best player. Always seems to find good young cheap players and sell them on at a profit.

Sam Allardyce – he is going to get the sack from West Ham and he would sort out our back four. Likes to play with the big man up front, and we have one of the best. People need to remember at Bolton he had flair players like, Jay Jay Okocha, Youri Djorkaeff, and Nicolas Anelka.

Paul Lambert – let’s keep him, if we had not had all the injuries to key players we would have been comfortably in mid- table. Last chance saloon? Given him until Christmas?

Phil Brown – talks a good game, would come to the club, currently achieving good things on a limited budget down at Southend.

Steve McClaren – Villa fans didn’t want him last time and looking at how well Derby are doing, many people are beginning to think we missed a great opportunity to get a great coach.

Nigel Clough – proved he can do it, never had the opportunity in the big time and his teams play good football

Uwe Rösler – this man will one day manage one of the big four clubs, and I mean Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, or Aston Villa. He’s a future superstar if he doesn’t get promoted to the premiership a bigger club will come in for him.

Tim Sherwood – his performance at Tottenham shows that he has potential. He’s very keen on bringing through younger players, and will probably work better at a club that’s not always in the press

Karl Robinson – a young hungry manager whose team always plays football, and he has not been able to buy a player for the last three seasons. His success comes through coaching, he makes players better. He will manage at the top level in the near future.

Roberto Di Matteo – the man who won the European cup, still on gardening leave from Chelsea’s and his teams play football

Giovanni Trapattoni-the old man would sort out our defence, and he has a track record of winning leagues.

Paolo Di Canio- I’ve put him on the long list is a bit of a joke, no way should we go near this goose-stepping fascist.

Thorsten Fink – if you have to go foreign you have to consider him, his teams play football and he has a good track record

Lothar Matthaus – I think he would come, if he had a transfer budget of £30 million. Would certainly sort out our defence

Frank Rijkaard – if he was good enough for Barcelona is good enough for us.

My own personal short-list of managers that the Villa should interview (taking into consideration I probably give Paul Lambert until Christmas to turn things around) would be:

1.   Karl Robinson
2.   Uwe Rösler
3.   Darren Ferguson

I would be happy with any of these but have I missed anyone out of the long list?

Who would be on your short-list of managers that you would recommend to the villa Board?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: So who do you want as the next Villa manager?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 09:49:02 PM »
It is all dependent on whether we're taken over by new owners and what their ambitions are. Whoever the manager is I'd like to play attractive football with some sort of tactical approach.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:49:15 PM »
If we get new investment then Pochettino is an obvious target.

Online Holte L2

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:51:08 PM »
Darren Ferguson!? Deemed not good enough for Preston!? No thanks.

All depends on us being taken over. If we are, in fantasy world I'd like Rafa Benitez or Roberto Mancini.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 09:52:31 PM »
Scratch off all the British/Irish names. No more of that thank you.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 09:57:04 PM »
If I hear the phrase 'young and hungry' ever again in connection with the club I think I'll go on a killcrazy rampage.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
Big money comes in Pochetino would be good. Or the guy from Mainze that has been even better than Klopp was there.

No money and i would go with finding a reaaly good coach with tactical nouse from the continent.

Offline Uber_lowey

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »

Well, well, well what a season, it started so well, away in North London, and ended pathetically away in North London. It’s important that I put my cards on the table I’m a Paul Lambert fan, I blame our current position on our in experience Chief Executive and our owner who is only interested in recovering all the money that Martin O’Neill wasted. Paul Lambert record in the past show that he is an initiative coach, who favours attacking football, however this season has seen him failed to do the one thing that would have ensured he had the backing of the fans and that was to provide entertainment at Villa Park. When is the last time we were properly entertained over a season at Villa Park? (A season and a half under Martin O’Neill and then you have to go back to John Gregory’s time at the club)

There’s going to be an announcement tomorrow, (or in the next few days) and I sure that the club will part company with Paul Lambert and start the search for the next Villa manager so I’ve put together a long-list of the runners and riders taking into consideration the fact that we need a manager who:

a)   realistically will come to the club
b)   can work with a small transfer budget (£15 million)
c)   can develop our younger players (we won the next gen tournament yet none of those players feature in our first-team squad )
d)   has a track record of playing entertaining, passing football

I think the club realistically should have a short-list of three people who can take the Villa forward and provide hope, and entertainment for the fans (boy do we deserve a little bit of both)

So here’s my long list of possible Villa managers

Alan Pardew – He is going to get the push from Newcastle and he always does well for a season and a half. Wouldn’t it be great to see him in the ring at Villa Park against Mike Tyson.

Darren Ferguson – Peterborough always punches above their weight, Ferguson plays attacking football on limited resources as they always have to sell their best player. Always seems to find good young cheap players and sell them on at a profit.

Sam Allardyce – he is going to get the sack from West Ham and he would sort out our back four. Likes to play with the big man up front, and we have one of the best. People need to remember at Bolton he had flair players like, Jay Jay Okocha, Youri Djorkaeff, and Nicolas Anelka.

Paul Lambert – let’s keep him, if we had not had all the injuries to key players we would have been comfortably in mid- table. Last chance saloon? Given him until Christmas?

Phil Brown – talks a good game, would come to the club, currently achieving good things on a limited budget down at Southend.

Steve McClaren – Villa fans didn’t want him last time and looking at how well Derby are doing, many people are beginning to think we missed a great opportunity to get a great coach.

Nigel Clough – proved he can do it, never had the opportunity in the big time and his teams play good football

Uwe Rösler – this man will one day manage one of the big four clubs, and I mean Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, or Aston Villa. He’s a future superstar if he doesn’t get promoted to the premiership a bigger club will come in for him.

Tim Sherwood – his performance at Tottenham shows that he has potential. He’s very keen on bringing through younger players, and will probably work better at a club that’s not always in the press

Karl Robinson – a young hungry manager whose team always plays football, and he has not been able to buy a player for the last three seasons. His success comes through coaching, he makes players better. He will manage at the top level in the near future.

Roberto Di Matteo – the man who won the European cup, still on gardening leave from Chelsea’s and his teams play football

Giovanni Trapattoni-the old man would sort out our defence, and he has a track record of winning leagues.

Paolo Di Canio- I’ve put him on the long list is a bit of a joke, no way should we go near this goose-stepping fascist.

Thorsten Fink – if you have to go foreign you have to consider him, his teams play football and he has a good track record

Lothar Matthaus – I think he would come, if he had a transfer budget of £30 million. Would certainly sort out our defence

Frank Rijkaard – if he was good enough for Barcelona is good enough for us.

My own personal short-list of managers that the Villa should interview (taking into consideration I probably give Paul Lambert until Christmas to turn things around) would be:

1.   Karl Robinson
2.   Uwe Rösler
3.   Darren Ferguson

I would be happy with any of these but have I missed anyone out of the long list?

Who would be on your short-list of managers that you would recommend to the villa Board?

75 year old Giovanni Trappatoni?

There are some horrific names on there

Only one name for me. Jurgen Klinnsmann - imagine the lift he would give the club.

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 09:59:31 PM »
Darren Ferguson? Is your keyboard working properly? I'm sure you just typed out Darren Ferguson...

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 09:59:32 PM »
I read Phil Brown and went to throw up.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »
In the main, that list should be laminated and handed out to the top brass at the club with instructions to not employ any of them.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 10:01:51 PM »
I have not got the foggyest who I would like. I suppose it all depends on which way the club is heading.

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 10:02:49 PM »
I've not seen a list that dodgy since I looked at Craig's.

Offline Uber_lowey

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 10:03:54 PM »
I read Phil Brown and went to throw up.

Agreed. Vomit inducing. Id rather have McCleish. The Villa are desperate, absolutely desperate, for a big nam. Someone that can come in and restore the feel good factor and put bums on seats. Remember the wave of optimism and eurphoria when MON arrived - remember the packed car park when it was the press conference... Same whn Big Ron arrived. Can you imagine if Darren Fegurson, Karl Robinson or Phil Brown rocked up? Jesus

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »
I have not got the foggyest who I would like. I suppose it all depends on which way the club is heading.
I think that's right.  Depends entirely on who's in charge and how much money they're willing to spend.  Pochettino is a good shout if we get significant investment.  If not then they're really going to have to get their thinking caps on.  Assuming they have any thinking caps; it's hard to tell.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal