collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by eamonn
[Today at 12:33:39 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Dogtanian
[Today at 12:30:37 PM]

VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:27:06 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:20:28 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Fog stopped play by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 12:12:31 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Mister E
[Today at 11:54:13 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 11:44:42 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by eamonn
[Today at 12:33:39 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Monty
[Today at 12:33:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Dogtanian
[Today at 12:30:37 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by eamonn
[Today at 12:27:20 PM]

Re: VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:27:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:20:28 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Risso
[Today at 12:15:02 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: End of season report  (Read 6303 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: End of season report
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2014, 11:31:56 PM »
Final stats are hideous - 38 points, 39 goals scored, 61 goals conceded.

Our worst season since 1986/87. The board, management and players should truly be ashamed.

Not that this season should be this much of a surprise, we have had three seasons of shite. Benteke's injury probably the main reason why the goals scored count is lower. Awful seasons from Gabby and Weimann not helping either. eight goals better at the back. Vlaar was better this term and Bertrand at left back was better than the other clowns that played there. But conceding 61 goals in still dire in the extreme.

12/13 - 41 points, 47 goals scored, 69 goals conceded
11/12 - 38 points, 37 goals scored, 53 goals conceded
10/11 - 48 points, 48 goals scored, 59 goals conceded

the last DOL season where we seemed certain to be relegated the year after if things remained the same that summer
05/06 - 42 points, 42 goals scored, 55 goals conceded

In a league where average reigns supreme, we sum up the mediocrity of the EPL to a tee. Big club going absolutely nowhere and still somehow with our worst season in 17 years we finish 5 points clear of the drop.

Obviously need to get the goal threat up next season. Gabby is gone for me, 6 months good form in four seasons isnt good enough so time to go. Weimann, only with Benteke's injury gets a stay of execution. Even then, Ive always had doubt about his lack of technical ability but last term his fantastic workrate got him chances out of nothing. This term with a fresh contract in the bag, he has forgotten all about the hard work that got him to that level. Huge summer for him, either he knuckles down in pre-season or he heads down the Luke Moore route. Kozak pre broken leg lacked the necessary mobility but deserves a chance next term. Ditto Nzogbia and Grealish will be in the squad next term. Tonev has had a nightmare first term but I wouldnt be against giving him another chance. Our main man Benteke had a poor season before his injury, again fitness and attitude were poor. Our shite football didnt help but he wasnt the same player anyway. Dont want to rush him back into the team next term so that makes signing new forwards a necessity. Bent is finished, will be another loan for him or move to a semi retirement league.

In - 2 new wide forwards capable of scoring
Stay - Benteke, Kozak, Grealish
Maybe - Weimann (2.5m), Nzogbia (2.5m)
Out - Gabby (4m), Tonev (500k), Helenius (500k), Bent (500k), Fonz free, Bowery (250k)

Midfield was another black hole. Westwood was more solid than spectacular but was still decent enough. Delph it goes without saying was our best player. Those two chipped in with 6 of the 39 goals. Bacuna had a mixed season but still without his five league goals we would have been in big trouble. Albrighton seems to arrested his career decline but not enough for me.  Aside from those our roster of Kea, Herd, Gardner, Sylla would be weak in the championship but not mind the top division. Youngsters Carruthers and Johnson havent made enough of an impression on loan to be kept on our first team squad. Our midfield roster needs to be gutted.

Stay - Delph, Westwood, Bacuna
Maybe
Go - Kea (1.5m), Herd (free), Gardner (free), Sylla (500k), Albrighton (free), Carruthers (free), Johnson (free),

At the back, its bad, its very bad. Got unlucky with Okore's injury early on but despite playing 5 or 4 at the back, we looked shite as to be expected from a side that conceded 61 league goals. Luna's bright start was later eclipsed by his farcical attempts in our club shirt thereafter. Bennett and Stevens arent up to this level. Nor is Matt Lowton who had the second season from hell. To be honest, his awful defending last term was erased somewhat by some cracking goals and attacking play. He just isnt good enough for this level and doesnt appear to have the attitude to make up for his shortcomings either. If we sell this summer we should get a few quid for him. Baker and Clark continued to give their all but like a few others it is now abundantly clear that they arent good enough for this level. They arent promising young defenders any more, they just dont have it and we should cash in now on them. Vlaar did improve but it was from a very low base last season. An awful captain and his efforts to stop one of the Spurs goals today sum him up for me. A charlatan and am hoping he isnt exposed ala Euro 2012 this summer so we can get rid of him in the summer. Hutton, ah yes Hutton.

Stay - Okore
Maybe - Donacien
Go - Lowton (1.5m), Baker (1.5m), Clark (2m), Vlaar (5m), Bennett (500k), Stevens (free), Hutton (100k),

Keeper - Guzan still decent in goal. Given did well at Boro and if we cant find a club to take over his wages then he should be the one on the bench and Steer going off on loan. The one position where we are probably ok.

The board and management all seem to be set for change this summer. A lot of our first team squad are leaving on frees and I would prefer gutting the squad this summer almost in its entirety. We need to bring in real leaders into this club to replace the likes of Vlaar, Kea and Gabby. If mediocrity is to end at Villa Park this summer then our squad next season should look an awful lot different.

Offline supertom

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2014, 11:49:47 PM »
I'd agree largely with those stays and gos.

I wouldn't expect us to get anywhere near 5 million for Vlaar either, given his age and injury record, and general averageness.

I would also say that whilst I'd keep Westwood and Bacuna, I'd still be replacing them in the first 11. They'd be squad players. Westwood on the bench, Bacuna to be honest, probably lucky to get in the 18. In part because it's difficult to sense his best position. His pace and running is good at fullback, but he can't defend. In attack he's often awkward with the ball at his feet, and can't pass, and his decision making is poor, making it hard for him to stand out in midfield or on the wing.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2014, 12:12:27 AM »

I wouldn't expect us to get anywhere near 5 million for Vlaar either, given his age and injury record, and general averageness.

I would also say that whilst I'd keep Westwood and Bacuna, I'd still be replacing them in the first 11. They'd be squad players. Westwood on the bench, Bacuna to be honest, probably lucky to get in the 18. In part because it's difficult to sense his best position. His pace and running is good at fullback, but he can't defend. In attack he's often awkward with the ball at his feet, and can't pass, and his decision making is poor, making it hard for him to stand out in midfield or on the wing.

I think with good coaching Bacuna can be a lot better. Has a lot going for him as his goal at Everton proved. Maybe our new Ian Taylor. Great athlete and two good feet. Westwood shouldn't be starting but a decent player when given time and space in midfield. Both with better coaching should be able for 25 or so appearances next season. If we brought in a top midfield general, the trio of Delph, Bacuna and Westwood can all improve. A top holding midfielder/captain should be our number one priority in the summer.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2014, 12:20:22 AM »

Whereas I probably agree that those listed need to go, the reality is that it would leave us with far too many players to buy in one window.  I personally think that two full-backs, someone to challenge Vlaar and Okore (at this point I don't want to see Baker or Clark play CB for us again), a strong defensive midfielder, a midfielder with similar attributes to Delph and a playmaker who can play as an attacking midfielder and out wide are the key positions in the summer.  We probably have just about enough striking options, particularly if whoever is in charge can get something out of Darren Bent.

Just looking at that, it's going to be a massive rebuilding job.     

Offline supertom

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2014, 12:28:05 AM »

Whereas I probably agree that those listed need to go, the reality is that it would leave us with far too many players to buy in one window.  I personally think that two full-backs, someone to challenge Vlaar and Okore (at this point I don't want to see Baker or Clark play CB for us again), a strong defensive midfielder, a midfielder with similar attributes to Delph and a playmaker who can play as an attacking midfielder and out wide are the key positions in the summer.  We probably have just about enough striking options, particularly if whoever is in charge can get something out of Darren Bent.

Just looking at that, it's going to be a massive rebuilding job.     
Oh it would have to be done over 2-3 windows for certain.
In some cases, such as Luna, JB, Sylla, Tonev, KEA, Bennett, Helenius, Baker and Lowton, it wouldn't effect our side one iota if they never played again. Only 3 of those really play with any sort of regularity right now anyway.

Bring in 4-5 good players this summer to start the ball rolling. Mix it up with our youngsters. Bring Zogbia back into the fold, and Given. Bent might be worth keeping on until January.

Of course we need to hope we've got money to spend. It wouldn't have to be crazy money. Even 30 mill spent wisely would improve us.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2014, 12:33:06 AM »
Sad face.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2014, 01:29:33 AM »
As posted on the post match thread, I see stuff like this, and I just think, there's such a disconnect between what the club thinks is acceptable and what the fans think is, it's truly horrific.

Honestly, did none of them have the brains to think "hang on, we should at least pretend to be less than happy, even if we're really not"?

I have to say, Weimann in terms of attitude has gone right down in my estimation this season.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2014, 01:37:01 AM »
As posted on the post match thread, I see stuff like this, and I just think, there's such a disconnect between what the club thinks is acceptable and what the fans think is, it's truly horrific.

Honestly, did none of them have the brains to think "hang on, we should at least pretend to be less than happy, even if we're really not"?

I have to say, Weimann in terms of attitude has gone right down in my estimation this season.

I bet they didn't invite Gabby over, imagine the convo or the lack of it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:40:24 AM by Goldie.7 »

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2014, 01:37:54 AM »
error
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:39:50 AM by Goldie.7 »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2014, 01:55:16 AM »
I'm torn on that pic. Yes they look twunts doing that, but at the same time they are young lads on their last trip together for a few months so I can sort of understand them having a drink. For all we know they may have been miserable as sin most of the trip and smiled for that pic. Unlikely I know but you never know based on one pic.

I do agree with Paulie regarding Weimann's attitude though, he has really disappointed me this season.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2014, 07:45:22 AM »
Weimann gives the impression that he thinks he is an important Premier League player.

He is a very misguided young man.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2014, 10:14:31 AM »
They are all misguided if they think that picture is going to impress!

Offline supertom

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2014, 10:30:47 AM »
Weimann gives the impression that he thinks he is an important Premier League player.

He is a very misguided young man.
Part of me wonders whether he really did know what he was doing with that pic. Whether he's just having a bit of dig back at the fans. I would hope he's just being naïve.
Everyone in that pic, bar Delph, has no place being a Premiership footballer though. That part has been evident all season.

Offline russon

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2014, 02:33:54 PM »
Sickening though that pic is it's no shock. As fans we need to accept that there is a complete and utter disconnect between us and the players, they genuinely could not give a flying fig for how we perceive them otherwise they wouldn't post a pic like that as they share the motorway back to Bham with thousands who've paid hundreds to go and watch them surrender down in London on our behalf. They make me sick.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal