collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: To "B" or not to "B"  (Read 8996 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: To "B" or not to "B"
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »
I am not so sure this is such a bad thing. I would like us to have a reserve or B side playing at a really decent level.
I imagine it would be a very positive thing for big clubs, but probably the sort of thing that will mean a lot more smaller clubs ceasing to exist.

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 04:42:53 PM »
Why can't we just have a high quality, well covered reserve league (like the Women's super league) instead of messing up the system we have in place at the moment?  I think the fact we have such competitive and interesting lower leagues is brilliant.  I accept that having a to - the -wire title race in League Two doesn't win us world cups, but it does give us a proper football system that other countries envy.  To increase interest in the reserve league, all games should be played on a particular night, so that it becomes embedded in the Football community.  Live reserve football on ITV on a Wednesday night would give the FA what they want - also, young talents would be snapped up by 'big' clubs.  And before anyone says that young players need to play with older players, they would do - reserve teams have just as many young talents as they do experienced but past - it players.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 04:43:20 PM »
The critical bit for me is how the 'B' team pricniple can be kept free of cheap foreign players getting acclimatised to English football. As a mechanism for young British players it could have some merits.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 05:16:30 PM »
Why can't we just have a high quality, well covered reserve league (like the Women's super league) instead of messing up the system we have in place at the moment? I think the fact we have such competitive and interesting lower leagues is brilliant.  I accept that having a to - the -wire title race in League Two doesn't win us world cups, but it does give us a proper football system that other countries envy.  To increase interest in the reserve league, all games should be played on a particular night, so that it becomes embedded in the Football community.  Live reserve football on ITV on a Wednesday night would give the FA what they want - also, young talents would be snapped up by 'big' clubs.  And before anyone says that young players need to play with older players, they would do - reserve teams have just as many young talents as they do experienced but past - it players.

Totally agree with the bit in bold.   

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 05:21:48 PM »
An utterly fucking ludicrous proposal. Hopefully the Football League will tell the Premier League where to go.
Yes. Normally I agree with your posts on this  one I agree more.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 05:42:47 PM »
Once again the FA is allowing the tail to wag the dog.  A better idea would be placing a maximum number on the first team squad size and sort out the farce that is the loan system.  Unfortunately the top clubs won't want either of those, so their vested interests will prevail.

Online LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 06:13:37 PM »
Assuming they solve the problem of where to put these! B teams I can see a number of issues.

Do we only allow Premier league teams to do it? If so what happens to a B team when the 1st team is relegated? But if everyone is allowed a B team then that's potentially 92 new teams to find a home for.

If the B team is never allowed in the same division as the A team then how motivated will a side be knowing they can't get promoted? Or worse still, they know a demotion is likely because the A team is odds on to be relegated from the division above. Or the B team wins the championship and the A team gets relegated from the Prem. So the Championship winners end up being relegated.

What happens if the B teams start to accumulate in the Championship. We could have a competition where half the division can't be promoted. You might get the team coming 10th going up. And teams finishing lower than that going into the playoffs.

The whole thing could be farcical. It would kill the lower leagues. Our national team is important but not at the expense of proper competition throughout the pyramid.

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 08:05:13 PM »
Assuming they solve the problem of where to put these! B teams I can see a number of issues.

Do we only allow Premier league teams to do it? If so what happens to a B team when the 1st team is relegated? But if everyone is allowed a B team then that's potentially 92 new teams to find a home for.

If the B team is never allowed in the same division as the A team then how motivated will a side be knowing they can't get promoted? Or worse still, they know a demotion is likely because the A team is odds on to be relegated from the division above. Or the B team wins the championship and the A team gets relegated from the Prem. So the Championship winners end up being relegated.

What happens if the B teams start to accumulate in the Championship. We could have a competition where half the division can't be promoted. You might get the team coming 10th going up. And teams finishing lower than that going into the playoffs.

The whole thing could be farcical. It would kill the lower leagues. Our national team is important but not at the expense of proper competition throughout the pyramid.

Completely agree with the bold.  To me, League 2 is more important than the national side.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 10:07:13 PM »
Once again the FA is allowing the tail to wag the dog.  A better idea would be placing a maximum number on the first team squad size and sort out the farce that is the loan system.  Unfortunately the top clubs won't want either of those, so their vested interests will prevail.

I agree completely with this.

The clubs picking up the most money are determined to pick up more and more, nevermind the detrimental effects upon the rest and the authorities are seemingly incapable of stopping them. Well, let them have their money, but limit squad size to 24 players and don't allow loans within the same division. Try and do the treble - or even the double - then. That would be a real achievement.

I would only allow one substitue as well.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 08:24:21 AM »
Worst. Idea. Ever.

It will kill off a whole load of lower division clubs. How can you just create a new division of reserve teams, you are effectively relegating every club in non-league down another step of the pyramid.
 LeeS has highlighted most of the other issues.

England is almost unique in World football in having a thriving pyramid down to and beyond the Conference, gates in the Conference compare with leagues at level 3 (League One) across Europe, some clubs at Level 8 (Southern and Northern Premier Leagues) can pull in 3-500 regularly, this is at a level which would be parks football in most other countries.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 08:27:07 AM »

Keeprighton gets excited on reading this bit as it means that there is a chance of Blose returning to the Premier League in the future after all.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 08:34:38 AM »
To me, League 2 is more important than the national side.

Yep.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 11:35:26 AM »
The critical bit for me is how the 'B' team pricniple can be kept free of cheap foreign players getting acclimatised to English football. As a mechanism for young British players it could have some merits.

Non-EU players could be prevented from playing but I don't see why EU players can't take part.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 11:37:55 AM »
To me, League 2 is more important than the national side.

Yep.

Thirded

The Gloucestershire Northern Senior League is more important than the England national team.

Online LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 12:35:01 PM »
I now know this is a shit idea. Liverpool and Manure fans at work are claiming it is brilliant.

In my opinion, it is worse than the 39th game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal