collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Darren Bent - so what now?  (Read 26879 times)

Offline Jarpie

Re: Darren Bent - so what now?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »
Leicester would be my guess. Doesn't have to move, first team football. A manager who is likely to set things up around him.

Reckon it'll be similar to Ireland. Loan until his contract runs out.

I know Leicester fan who says that there's no way Pearson will sign someone like Bent. My guess would be either Turkey or MLS, I can't see any english club taking a punt with Bent after this season other than maybe QPR.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 01:09:59 PM »
The writings on the wall for Bent, he didn't fit in Lambert's plans rightly or wrongly but he was given his chance to prove himself and everyone at Villa wrong with the loan move to Fulham.  Epic fail I'd say on his part, doubt anyone in premier league would touch him.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 01:11:13 PM »
Fulham fans were apparently giving him all sorts of verbal abuse on Saturday.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »
MLS is a good shout, presume Fulham have paid all his wages this season so would guess the pay off (if there is one) to get rid this summer will be substantially lower than it would have been a year ago...

If he gets fit & starts scoring again we can always get him back on loan for a few weeks in the new year a la Robbie Keane :-).....joke!

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »
The reason he doesn't get to play more games is mainly because of his lack of work rate.  The game has moved on now passed carrying passengers who's only trick is to goal hang and poach goals.

Yet there's the rub.  When he's fully fit, on his game and interested he can be the difference between staying up and going down.

It's hard to understand why he has declined so dramatically but I would say going from first choice and receiving regular service to being a total waste under McLeishs dreadful tactics, to then being told he was captain and have it stripped away and then unceremoniously dumped out of the squad would have an effect on anyone's confidence.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 01:36:56 PM »
Regardless of how we see him now, we should not forget that his purchase during that transfer window almost certainly kept us in the division, because without his goals i`m convinced we would have gone that year. and for that alone we should view him favourably, can`t speak for anyone else, but i know i do. good luck Benty.

Offline shipscat

• I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 01:39:18 PM »
I think he's back up,literally, seen in the Greenhouse,Mere Green yesterday afternoon.

I seriously doubt we'll be able to shift him without paying the vast majority of his circa 70,000 a week.If we do have a change of transfer policy,or manager,he may get a reprieve especially it we utilise a couple of wide players.

Fail to see,even allowing for that yard of pace that's deserted him,that he couldn't be useful off the bench in certain games.Especially if he has a decent pre-season and gains a little confidence.Plus I imagine  he'll be wanting a new contract somewhere, that he'll have to earn.Can't see hardly any gain in us subsidising,like Hutton,him at £60,000 a week to play for Palace,Sturke or West Ham.

Offline Jarpie

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 02:03:03 PM »
The reason he doesn't get to play more games is mainly because of his lack of work rate.  The game has moved on now passed carrying passengers who's only trick is to goal hang and poach goals.

Yet there's the rub.  When he's fully fit, on his game and interested he can be the difference between staying up and going down.

It's hard to understand why he has declined so dramatically but I would say going from first choice and receiving regular service to being a total waste under McLeishs dreadful tactics, to then being told he was captain and have it stripped away and then unceremoniously dumped out of the squad would have an effect on anyone's confidence.

Don't forget his injury, he was six months off. He haven't had chance to play regularly ever since so I don't think he's managed to get enough game time to get his game up again.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »

As we'll be without Benteke for possibly the whole of 2014, and with only our lightweight backs ups Gabby, Weimann and Bowery we might as well keep him assuming we've got a new manager that will use him to his strengths

I don't see Kozak as the goal scoring answer either whenever he's expected back

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 02:15:47 PM »
In my Football Manager game ended up at Palace, so I reckon he'll move there. Another London club, he likes it down there.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »

As we'll be without Benteke for possibly the whole of 2014, and with only our lightweight backs ups Gabby, Weimann and Bowery we might as well keep him assuming we've got a new manager that will use him to his strengths

I don't see Kozak as the goal scoring answer either whenever he's expected back

Oh I don't know. He managed 4 before he got injured, he was getting used to a new league and country as well. I think he'll turn out to be a useful player for us.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2014, 02:36:51 PM »

Don't forget his injury, he was six months off. He haven't had chance to play regularly ever since so I don't think he's managed to get enough game time to get his game up again.

If I recall correctly, he's missed two pre-seasons in a row and that coupled with his injuries has taken his toll.  The wages might be a sticking point, but I'd maybe be willing to give him pre season to get fit and see how he goes from there.  No improvement then move him on before the window closes.  Can't see it happening if PL is still in charge though.

Offline john2710

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2014, 03:08:14 PM »
A move to the MLS is the best solution all round, I'd say.

He's not likely to get back to his peak again, he looks a little heavy.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
Under a new regime, where 60k+ per week isn't automatically a reason to try and bomb someone out, he might have a chance. 

Difficult to have much sympathy for a multi million pound footballer, but he did join a club low in confidence in Fulham.  35 managers this season can't have helped either.

He's lost that crucial turn of pace, but he's still a decent finisher. You don't lose that.

Coming into a positive environment this summer, with a new manager and a new owner, stranger things have happened than Darren Bent turning it around.  Though I will concede he's probably a backup option for us at best.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2014, 05:56:14 PM »
I think he is crocked and has ben for a while.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal