collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: If we'd done what Manchester United did  (Read 5952 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: If we'd done what Manchester United did
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 10:26:42 AM »
Lets not forget Lambert was the "fans" choice.......... by and large fans know pretty much the sum total of fuck all about the workings and goings on of a topflight football club.........

If fans had their own way we'd have a new signing every day, a new manager every time we lose and a new contract for the gaffer every time we pick up some points......

Hindsight is 20/20.  Problem is, I think we forget just what a big and sometimes difficult job being manager of Aston Villa is.  As with players, some managers are going to struggle with the expectations of bigger clubs.

Indeed it is:

Here are a list of managers who didn't understand the scale of the task / size of the club.

Graham Turner
Billy McNeill
Jo Venglos
Graham Taylor Mk II
DOL
Gerard Houllier
Alex McLeish
Paul Lambert

McNeill, DOL and Houllier showed a belittling arrogance towards the club despite the fact that is was they who were out of their depth.

I hate to say it but that is why what Rodgers has done in 18 months or so has been very impressive - taking over a huge, underperforming club from a legend albeit one with dinosaur tactics and completely reshaped them into a progressive attack minded team.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 10:33:23 AM »
My main thought is that I hope we never hire a manager solely on the basis that it would boost fans' morale.

This!

Shearer never saved the toon did he?

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 11:22:01 AM »
My main thought is that I hope we never hire a manager solely on the basis that it would boost fans' morale.

This!

Shearer never saved the toon did he?

Yes - a heart rule the head decision on a professional basis is normally a recipe for disaster.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal