collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: If we'd done what Manchester United did  (Read 5942 times)

Offline greenwichvilla

If we'd done what Manchester United did
« on: May 03, 2014, 06:58:42 PM »
I was having a conversation with a friend earlier about if we'd sacked Lambert earlier this season and got an ex player in to 'lift' the crowd in a similar way to Shearer at Newcastle a few years ago or Giggs now.

Who do you think we would  get? He suggested David Platt but it seems there's a fair bit of hostility toward him on here. I thought John Carew, but for all I know he might be rubbish.

Thoughts?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: If we'd done what Manchester United did
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:04:29 PM »
Melberg or Laursen. Both leaders.

Giggs is a wanker.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 07:32:03 PM »
I was having a conversation with a friend earlier about if we'd sacked Lambert earlier this season and got an ex player in to 'lift' the crowd in a similar way to Shearer at Newcastle a few years ago or Giggs now.

Who do you think we would  get? He suggested David Platt but it seems there's a fair bit of hostility toward him on here. I thought John Carew, but for all I know he might be rubbish.

Thoughts?

I don't think it would have been the way to go anyway, but if we were to pick a manager specifically to lift the fans, it would have to be Brian Little.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
My main thought is that I hope we never hire a manager solely on the basis that it would boost fans' morale.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 07:46:59 PM »
Especially as today and the Shearer season shows, it is a very very short term thing.

Offline Bully2345

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »
In answer to the thread title, I'd say we would have been a lot more likely to have gone through the trapdoor. Just think about Shearer the year Newcastle went down, or Norwich this year. Change for the sake of change doesn't work

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 08:06:15 PM »
Laursen is the one that stands out, but maybe Dean Saunders? I would have and still would welcome Brian Little back in any way.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 09:00:47 PM »
Ryan isn't a wanker; he's always too busy with the real thing

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 09:03:03 PM »
Will do it on the post match thread shortly. Can I just say though, fucking yeah!

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 09:06:04 PM »

Thoughts?

I don't think it would have been the way to go anyway, but if we were to pick a manager specifically to lift the fans, it would have to be Brian Little.

Last seen getting bombed out of Gainsborough Trinity. In any case most of our fans now wouldn't know who he is.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 09:19:33 PM »
My mates often discuss a similar conundrum.  What if we'd have won the league in 1992-3, & not Manure?  Would we have gone on to enjoy similar dominance?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 09:20:56 PM »
My mates often discuss a similar conundrum.  What if we'd have won the league in 1992-3, & not Manure?  Would we have gone on to enjoy similar dominance?

Probably not. They would have won it sooner rather than later and the 1,000 Year Reich would have begun then.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 09:33:57 PM »

Thoughts?

Last seen getting bombed out of Gainsborough Trinity. In any case most of our fans now wouldn't know who he is.

Oh I'm not suggesting that he'd be a brilliant managerial choice as sadly his manager days seem to be behind him, just answering the question who would be a lift for the fans.

You may well be right with your second point - I guess I was looking at it through my own eyes rather than 'the younger generation' (that hurts to type!)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 10:03:17 PM »
Southgate

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 10:34:57 PM »
My main thought is that I hope we never hire a manager solely on the basis that it would boost fans' morale.

Well said, Mr Regan.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal