collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The way forward to the top 10....  (Read 8388 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
The way forward to the top 10....
« on: May 03, 2014, 06:24:37 PM »
So what do we need to achieve this next season?

In an ideal world a takeover and a new manager but let's say things stay as they are what do we need to get an extra 10 points over a season that we presently lack.

To me if Lambert somehow keeps his job we need to tell him right you've got 20m + to spend, make sure you spend most of that on two creative midfielders.

I don't think we're ever going to be defensively secure under him but plenty of other sides above us have similar defensive records and yet likes of Newcastle and Stoke are comfortably above us in the league.

It can't be that much to ask to target 48-50 points from a 38 game season which is usually good enough for top 10 these days.

To ever challenge 4th-6th again we either need an unbelievable run of success from the next batch of signings or more likely a takeover but that's all speculation at the minute.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: The way forward to the top 10....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 06:26:28 PM »
Not having longterm injuries will be a start. We must be due a run of luck on that front by now.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 06:29:11 PM »
If he gets £20m to spend next season we'll be in the exact same boat as we are now. To challenge I think we need 7 players, and not lower league rubbish on £10k per week either.
Unless Lerner has a complete change of heart (which I don't see happening) I can't see him investing in the squad sufficiently to get us back up the table to where we belong.
He needs to sell up.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »
Better use of whatever transfer funds we have. If we are going young and hungry use the academy, and spend the budget on more experienced quality players. If we get a new owner get in 5 or 6 players to move us forward quickly and importantly a manager who knows what to do with the players.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 06:36:47 PM »
If he gets £20m to spend next season we'll be in the exact same boat as we are now. To challenge I think we need 7 players, and not lower league rubbish on £10k per week either.
Unless Lerner has a complete change of heart (which I don't see happening) I can't see him investing in the squad sufficiently to get us back up the table to where we belong.
He needs to sell up.

Would you not think we'd have a chance of top 10 next season if say we signed Holtby and Sigurdsson for a combined 15m and the other 5m went on Bertrand or even Lescott on a free and that money went on his wages instead?

It's not that difficult to finish in the top 10, Newcastle have won 4 league games since Jan 1st and have never been in danger of dropping out, Palace were in the top 10 recently.

Challenging for 4th-6th yes we need a new manager/owner and significant funds for that.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 06:38:34 PM »
Better use of whatever transfer funds we have. If we are going young and hungry use the academy, and spend the budget on more experienced quality players. If we get a new owner get in 5 or 6 players to move us forward quickly and importantly a manager who knows what to do with the players.

Yes this is the stage we've reached. I have no issues with the likes of Robinson, Grealish and Carruthers on the bench regulary next season, these guys will no worse than Tonev, Sylla and Bowery to name three I'd get rid of.

This is the route Southampton have gone down, building a strong first 11 and then filling the bench with academy products.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 06:42:22 PM »
He needs to sell up.

Would you not think we'd have a chance of top 10 next season if say we signed Holtby and Sigurdsson for a combined 15m and the other 5m went on Bertrand or even Lescott on a free and that money went on his wages instead?

It's not that difficult to finish in the top 10, Newcastle have won 4 league games since Jan 1st and have never been in danger of dropping out, Palace were in the top 10 recently.

Challenging for 4th-6th yes we need a new manager/owner and significant funds for that.

Wages is just as important than transfer fees, but we don't pay the going rate to get the better players.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 06:43:26 PM »
I agree the wages are an issue, that's why it's laughable when we get linked with people like Hernandez, he's probably on 50k at United.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »
I don't think that the transfer budget that's the issue, it's the wage cap. We won't attract the players that we need whilst we don't pay the going rate for quality players.

Lerner has spent three seasons bringing the wage bill under control. He ain't gonna undo all of that careful budgeting. We need new investment or new owners otherwise we're in for more of the same next season and beyond..

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 06:49:05 PM »

Yes this is the stage we've reached. I have no issues with the likes of Robinson, Grealish and Carruthers on the bench regulary next season, these guys will no worse than Tonev, Sylla and Bowery to name three I'd get rid of.

This is the route Southampton have gone down, building a strong first 11 and then filling the bench with academy products.

We've got academy players in the team now in Weimann, Baker and Clark and to be honest they're part of the reason why we're so bad - we overrate them too much. We've been calling out for Robinson for ages now, yet we came on in the last home game he looked like a little boy lost.
Academy players are not the answer. We need real investment from the chairman, and if Lerner isn't prepared to give it he should look for someone who will.
Hopefully it'll happen this summer.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 06:50:55 PM »
I agree the wages are an issue, that's why it's laughable when we get linked with people like Hernandez, he's probably on 50k at United.

I still believe we refused to spend the required sums on wages while we had/have the likes Bent, Ireland, Given, Hutton etc on the books. I'm sure that as this has eased and when it will erased, we will get back to spending the right money on quality players. Those contracts killed us and it stopped us from operating like a PL club wanting to compete at the top end of the table. Reading between the lines that's what Lambert has been alluding to and suggesting with his comments this week. I don't think it's lost on anyone what is needed, it's when can we start doing it again?

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 06:52:03 PM »

We've got academy players in the team now in Weimann, Baker and Clark and to be honest they're part of the reason why we're so bad - we overrate them too much. We've been calling out for Robinson for ages now, yet we came on in the last home game he looked like a little boy lost.
Academy players are not the answer. We need real investment from the chairman, and if Lerner isn't prepared to give it he should look for someone who will.
Hopefully it'll happen this summer.

To warm the bench and bring through gradually rather than throwing them start in or shall we keep on spending on average players like KEA, Sylla, Tonev, etc?

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 07:01:38 PM »
To throw something else into the mix, surely the new TV deal which sees that side that finishes bottom this season get more then Man Ure got for winning it last season provides more cash for transfers and wages?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 07:02:41 PM »
I cant believe that some of the players that won the Youth European competition are worse than Sylla Tonev, Bowery and KEA.

With £20 million and decent wages on a left back centre half and a decent midfield player we should easily get a top 10 finish.

Top 6 would need significant investment and a new first 11.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
Those who brought the kids through at Southampton and now Fulham need to be grabbed hold of and the scouts.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal