collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa CEO in charity abseil  (Read 5427 times)

Offline LTA

Re: Villa CEO in charity abseil
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 11:40:31 PM »
Well done Paul.  Rather him than me.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 11:51:18 PM »
There's plenty of other threads to get digs in at Faulkner, why people feel the need to use one where he is doing something for a charity that helps his child is beyond me.

100% agree. Not every single thread needs to have a go at the club, Chairman, CEO etc

Well done Paul

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 01:36:13 AM »
Fair play to him. People that use this thread as an opportunity to abuse the club are pretty pathetic, in my opinion.

Online Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 06:36:56 AM »
There's plenty of other threads to get digs in at Faulkner, why people feel the need to use one where he is doing something for a charity that helps his child is beyond me.

It's because this silly game that we all base far too much of our happiness on has the tendency to make people act like dicks.

There are more important things in life, this is one example. Good luck Paul.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 07:49:39 AM »

It's because this silly game that we all base far too much of our happiness on has the tendency to make people act like dicks.

Absofrigginlutely..

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 07:50:49 AM »

On a personal level I wish the Faulkner family well and, as with anyone who has a serious medical condition afflicting a member of their family, I hope that he is able to raise a significant amount of money for the cause.

However, playing devil's advocate for a minute, it is not as if he is, say, running the London Marathon as an anonymous private citizen.  He is Aston Villa's CEO, a position that many people felt he was under-qualified to fulfil and has done much to suggest that that initial assessment was perhaps correct.  He is now seen to be using his position to utilize his employer's website and local media to publicise the charity raising that involves abseiling down part of his employer's infrastructure.  Presumably that is in the hope that supporters of the club will support his cause.  If many do that is great, but if he goes down that route, he must also accept that others will look at their club's plight and his role in it, and use this as an opportunity to have a dig, however churlish and small-minded it may seem.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 08:34:27 AM »
It would be nice to think that in the circumstances anyone who wanted to have a dig would think better of it.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 08:39:03 AM »
Fair play to him. I hope that this will pick up awareness of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust and raise a bit of cash in doing so. A bit of positive for the club coming when things aren't going so well on the pitch.

All good in my book, well done.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 08:43:54 AM »
It's for a fantastic cause which is obviously close to his heart so fair play to him.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 09:22:28 AM »
Fair play to him. I hope that this will pick up awareness of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust and raise a bit of cash in doing so. A bit of positive for the club coming when things aren't going so well on the pitch.

All good in my book, well done.

Ah the fine art of understatement is alive and well!!

Good stuff, though.  Could he also do an abseil to raise money for a new striker?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 10:32:38 AM »
Well done Mr Faulkner and good luck.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2014, 10:34:59 AM »
My girlfriend's sister is doing an abseil down the Spinnaker tower in Portsmouth to support Arthritis UK, and it's brave stuff I wouldn't fancy doing it.

Offline newtonsballs

• GM : 21.02.2020
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2014, 10:47:21 AM »
Paul is doing this as a dad, not as CEO of the Villa - I wish him, his family and the charity every success.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 10:52:31 AM »

On a personal level I wish the Faulkner family well and, as with anyone who has a serious medical condition afflicting a member of their family, I hope that he is able to raise a significant amount of money for the cause.

However, playing devil's advocate for a minute, it is not as if he is, say, running the London Marathon as an anonymous private citizen.  He is Aston Villa's CEO, a position that many people felt he was under-qualified to fulfil and has done much to suggest that that initial assessment was perhaps correct.  He is now seen to be using his position to utilize his employer's website and local media to publicise the charity raising that involves abseiling down part of his employer's infrastructure.  Presumably that is in the hope that supporters of the club will support his cause.  If many do that is great, but if he goes down that route, he must also accept that others will look at their club's plight and his role in it, and use this as an opportunity to have a dig, however churlish and small-minded it may seem.

As a person that has a fear of heights I would much prefer to do the London marathon than do what he is doing.  Good Luck Paul

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 11:08:15 AM »

As a person that has a fear of heights I would much prefer to do the London marathon than do what he is doing.  Good Luck Paul

Must admit I'd also find abseiling a more daunting propect than a marathon. Good luck Mr Faulkner.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal