collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Kevin Phillips retires.  (Read 4042 times)

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
Re: Kevin Phillips retires.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 08:57:57 PM »
I assume it was Doug that O'Leary ran across the pitch to at the end, but what I've never understood was why Doug was in that side of the ground and not the main stand?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »
Good luck Kevin. You were a credit to your profession.

Seconded.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 01:00:10 AM »
I honestly believe that if he'd seen his career out with us life would have been so much better all round.
So many times since he left he's come off the bench and scored vital goals for whichever club he's been at, when we've been crying out for exactly that type of player.
Instead our options have been sending the likes of James Collins up front in desperation or trying to rescue games by making like for like substitutions.
Not only that but neither Blues or Albion would have won promotion without hiim and without his last minute goal against Brentford in an earlier round our League Cup quarter final at the Sty would never have happened!
There's no doubt that we shot ourselves in the foot by allowing him to leave.
Happy retirement Kev - my type of player. I wish you'd had a longer Villa career. Just don't score the goal that sends Doncaster down on Saturday please!

Offline VillaSpen

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 01:36:52 AM »
He came to watch our old Sunday League team a few times when he lived in Hill Ridware (in a house that used to be occupied by Karren Brady and Paul Peschisolido) and was often in the pub. He was exactly as you'd expect him to be, lovely bloke. And that goal at the sty meant he wasn't paying for too many drinks in there around that time.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 08:49:20 AM »
Not many players can represent Villa,Blues and Albion and have all three sets of fans respect. That for me tells you all you need to know about the man. Great pro.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 09:03:16 AM »
I assume it was Doug that O'Leary ran across the pitch to at the end, but what I've never understood was why Doug was in that side of the ground and not the main stand?

I think Blues did a similar thing to Villa when the middle Trinity was cleared to make way for corporates and club executives, etc. Blues did the same at around this time in the main Kop stand. They might have changed it back since then though.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 09:13:30 AM »
Wish we brought him in in January instead of the fat fuck that is Grant Holt.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 11:39:29 AM »
I honestly believe that if he'd seen his career out with us life would have been so much better all round.
So many times since he left he's come off the bench and scored vital goals for whichever club he's been at, when we've been crying out for exactly that type of player.
Instead our options have been sending the likes of James Collins up front in desperation or trying to rescue games by making like for like substitutions.
Not only that but neither Blues or Albion would have won promotion without hiim and without his last minute goal against Brentford in an earlier round our League Cup quarter final at the Sty would never have happened!
There's no doubt that we shot ourselves in the foot by allowing him to leave.
Happy retirement Kev - my type of player. I wish you'd had a longer Villa career. Just don't score the goal that sends Doncaster down on Saturday please!

He also scored the goal that sent Palace up last year.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 12:19:15 PM »
Anyone who suffered the previous six derbies will never ever forget the elation of Super Kevs goal at the sty.

I, for one, will love that man forever.

Yes, that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Phillips, that goal was huge.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 12:26:54 PM »
Anyone who suffered the previous six derbies will never ever forget the elation of Super Kevs goal at the sty.

I, for one, will love that man forever.

Yes, that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Phillips, that goal was huge.
[/quote)

Same.  I was in a box in the Railway that year.  Just epic when we beat them!

Offline Fred

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 01:35:52 PM »
Nice guy, met him in Lichfield in 2006 after we have lost to Newcastle. Really nice to talk too and he signed my season ticket book.

Nice man, wish him the best for the futre

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »
Good pro was Kev, good luck to him.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 08:50:56 PM »
Good luck to him.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 09:16:05 PM »
All the best mate. Did 10 times more than some players who cost us 10 times as much. Enjoy and hope to hear you on radio soon.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 12:43:38 AM »
Can't really say it much better than what has gone before, some great tributes and he deserves everyone.  Good luck to him in his retirement.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal