collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Run in  (Read 10088 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: The Run in
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 10:41:36 PM »
If Norwich beat Chelsea next week then take a point against Arsenal, defending the way they currently are, then fair play. I can't see it. I think Cardiff OR Sunderland, Fulham and Norwich will go, with us stopping up on goal difference on 35. Just.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 10:53:09 PM »
looks like we only need a point against Hull to stay up. A Hull side with the cup final coming up. It is as near to a penalty kick as a side could hope for. Cant see Bruce being too up for doing his old Sunderland side a favour. He seems to be very bitter about getting the boot there.

I backed Villa to go down at 30/1 a few months back. Now the odds have shrunk to 10/1. I was going to let it roll over but those fixtures look kind to us so laying up seems to be the smart move.

The result today should be a killer for Fulham. Norwich wont get another point. A draw in the Cardiff v Sunderland game would suit us.

We could be hammered in the final two games though so goal difference might not be some pretty then

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 10:58:53 PM »
I don't get this doing another club a favour. Managers can't be that risky the pressure they are under (prize money for where they finish) & the lifespan of the average PL manager....unless it's in their own interest. Bruce, Wenger will be trying to get as many point as possible by the end of the season.

Offline supertom

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 11:02:13 PM »
Norwichs hope lies in whether Chelsea and Arsenal have their minds on other more important games. Chelski may have given up the Prem by then. Arsenal on the final day may be thinking of the FA Cup. That said, can they pick up 4 points in their remaining games? I don't think so.

Cardiff need to win both the Toon and Sunderland game really. Fulham need to win their last two. I think we're safe now. Just. I suspect a point against Hull, and we'll have to grind it out in the most fuck ugly fashion possible, will be more than enough.

However if we do go down we'll thoroughly deserve it. Far and away the worst Villa side I've ever had the misfortune to lay my eyes on. McLeish was shit but even he could grind out a few draws that we needed. We're well and truly looking like being completely and utterly reliant on the shiteness of other sides.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2014, 11:05:20 PM »
I really can't see Norwich beating Chelsea or arsenal to be honest

Those results aren't gonna happen..teams at the bottom just don't all suddenly hit form like that...Villa for instance..

Exactly.

We had all this talk last year about how Wigan were going to blitz us with all their games in hand when in reality they were just as shit as they'd been all season and the last game became a dead rubber.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2014, 11:14:51 PM »
We need a Sunderland win.

That will mean Cardiff have to win their last two to overtake us. Norwich would need 4 points from their last two and Fulham would need to win their last two.

I actually think we'll play out a 1-1 v Hull which is fortunate as we'll lose the other two heavily.

Offline mike

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2014, 11:33:06 PM »
If Norwich beat Chelsea next week then take a point against Arsenal, defending the way they currently are, then fair play. I can't see it. I think Cardiff OR Sunderland, Fulham and Norwich will go, with us stopping up on goal difference on 35. Just.

I think you're right. Hull at home just before their cup final should be a good opportunity to get at least a point but we've been crap at home all season (and longer) and our team are both devoid of talent and an utter bunch of wusses who wilt under the slightest pressure so I expect NOWT. Fortunately, it needs at least two teams to go on a form defying run to send us down. It will be the triple ignominy of staying up with a massive 35 points, doing it on goal difference and craning our necks at the mighty Swansea, Crystal Palace, Hull and Stoke.

Offline myf

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 11:50:22 PM »
Isn't a draw the best result for us tomorrow? Still means Cardiff need to win last two and keeps makems at bay?  That said I think Sunderland will win comfortably tomorrow after taking 4 points from city and Chelsea

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 12:22:52 AM »
Shocking day but I actually feel more confident we'll stay up than I did yday after Fulham didn't win.

Norwich will have to get four points from the next two. No chance.

Fulham will have to get two wins. V unlikely

And both Sunderland and Cardiff overtaking us? Again seems pretty unlikely to me

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 12:46:13 AM »
I keep going over those fixtures but still cant get the Boggies to go down.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 12:48:45 AM »
Shocking day but I actually feel more confident we'll stay up than I did yday after Fulham didn't win.

Norwich will have to get four points from the next two. No chance.

Fulham will have to get two wins. V unlikely

And both Sunderland and Cardiff overtaking us? Again seems pretty unlikely to me

And if you go back two weeks, how many points did most of us think Sunderland would get from away matches against Man City and Chelsea?

I am not saying they'll continue in that way, just that it is very dangerous to make assumptions like that. I could easily see Fulham winning both their remaining games, for example.

I am a lot less sure we'll stay up than I was this time yesterday.

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 12:50:34 AM »
We'll be safe. But that's not the point. Next season we'll go unless massive changes happen.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 07:26:55 AM »
My point is that I always thought we'd lose yday. But I thought Fulham would definitely win.

Of course there can be surprise results and the only way to be safe is to do it ourselves. But I've not got too much hope of that. I'd take a draw at home to hull to be honest

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 07:53:19 AM »
I am about the same as yesterday now. Long scoring that goal gives us a more than average chance.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 09:02:58 AM »
It's way more than an average chance. Just look at the bookies' odds. We're 9 to 1. Even if that's way out it's still a lot better than four teams. Three of the four are odds on and Sunderland are evens

We could go down and we can't complain about luck if we do. Or form against teams around us has been mostly pathetic all season. We'll be rescued by some great results and very good performances against top sides. We'd be fucked without those wins

But it would still take two of the bottom four going on a mini run that they've never looked like doing all season. The Cardiff Sunderland game is a godsend. A draw is ideal. But whichever team loses is going to be pretty much down, particularly psychologically. A Cardiff win is the worst result I suspect.

And are Norwich going to get four points from Chelsea and arsenal? That would be miraculous

I could imagine Fulham beating stoke and palace, but really how likely is that? Both sides are in good form.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal