collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Pete3206
[Today at 01:38:56 AM]

Re: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Rory
[Today at 01:30:04 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why do we need British?  (Read 10996 times)

Offline abc123cox

• Villa-Till-I-Die
    • UPtheVILLA Aston Vilal Fans, News and Banter page
Re: Why do we need British?
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2014, 05:12:31 PM »
It all depends on budgets for me, if Randy doesn't sell up then i don't know of another manager who could do much better then Moyes, however I wouldn't trust him with a sizable transfer budget.

I honestly think foreign is the way forward. Any of the names in my post could be getable if we tried hard enough. The likes of De Boer and Periera even though sound out of our league are not Fact is we could nearly triple there wages and still pay them less then McLeish, our only problem is the likes of Spurs or Man Utd getting there before us, but since Periera moved to Saudi he's been off the radar a little and could be the diamond in the rough we need.

De Boer is miles out of our league- he's more likely to pitch up at Barca than Villa. Wages aren't that relevant in my opinion - footballers will take the quick buck, managers have a career and reputation to consider which can be easily tarnished.

This job is not very attractive whilst Lerner remains in charge - big club with tiny budget isn't a appealing combination so agree that Moyes would be the best bet for slowly moving us in the right direction. But even he may get better offers.

Anyhow, I suspect if Lerner stays, Lambert will.

Would people of said the same about Laudrup, his success at Bromby had him touted for some big clubs but that still didn't stop him rocking up in South Wales, my point is De Boer is no where near the finished article and no disrespect to The Dutch league but it is no where near the size in calibre of the premierleague.

At the time winning the Supaliga with Brøndby was the equivalent of winning the SPL with either Rangers or Celtic.

I still think that his best achievement is keeping Mallorca in LaLiga the year he was there.

Imagine a retrenchment greater than ours over the last 4 years happening over one summer.

In our terms, it would have meant never signing, Benteke, Bacuna, N'Zogbia, Vlarr.

Delph, Clark, Bannan, Gabby, and anyone else with more than about £50 sell on value would have gone in the summer of 2011. Even signings of at the level of Westwood, Lowton and Bennett would have been beyond us.

Then keep the remaining assortment of youth team, unsellable journeymen and free transfers and loans afloat.

I would love Laudrup at Villa, exp if he bought Laursen in as his no.2

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2014, 05:16:27 PM »
Oh and to answer the original question we don't.

We need the right man for the job, but more importantly we need the right structure above either Lambert or a new "head coach" with a DoF.

Despite the actual titles I Thit that this was almost the structure Man Utd ended up with, Ferguson being more of a hands on DOF with a regular rotation of coaches under him, either just to keep things fresh, or to take in new knowledge and ideas, but with the basic structure and philosophy stable, but under constant evolution.

It's that sort of stability we need rather than (very expensively) ripping up the template every time we change manager, whilst avoiding the inertia we ended up with MON.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2014, 05:20:46 PM »
Oh and to answer the original question we don't.

We need the right man for the job, but more importantly we need the right structure above either Lambert or a new "head coach" with a DoF.

Despite the actual titles I Thit that this was almost the structure Man Utd ended up with, Ferguson being more of a hands on DOF with a regular rotation of coaches under him, either just to keep things fresh, or to take in new knowledge and ideas, but with the basic structure and philosophy stable, but under constant evolution.

It's that sort of stability we need rather than (very expensively) ripping up the template every time we change manager, whilst avoiding the inertia we ended up with MON.
I agree with this, and thought way back that this was the kind of structure that would have utilised the skills of MON much better, however his massive ego wouldn't have let it happen, I'm sure.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2014, 05:30:48 PM »
I think its a bit premature worrying about a new manager just yet. The current manager and playing staff need to concentrate on keeping us in the top division. If they fail and the current manager leaves the club (as will probably happen) then the type of manager we will require might be vastly different to those suggested above.

It all depends ,of course ,who it is that wants to put their hard earned money into our club if we are to be taken over. Do they have any great knowledge about football, in fact, does that matter?

The people at Man City didnt appear to know an awful lot but could afford the best players from around the world.

In fact,as with most things, it all comes down to money and at the moment we havent got it, but in a few months time it might be a different picture we shall see.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
KKK won the league cup with Liverpool didn't he?

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2014, 05:54:14 PM »
I would love Laudrup Villa, exp if he bought Laursen in as his no.2

Now that's another one I don't understand.
A former club player, or for that matter someone who was a good player, is instantly qualified to coach at a high level.

As annoying as he is as a pundit, Lawrenson was actually a good centre half in his day.  However his attempts to help his mate Keegan sort out Newcastle's defensive problems first time around, were a disaster.

It's the same mistake organisations the world over make. Just because someone is good at what they do, doesn't mean that they're good leaders or coaches for the departments they've been working in.

Laursen had 6 months in charge at his local club at the bottom of the Danish 3rd division if I can remember correctly, followed by 18 months away and has now been coaching the defence for Silkeborg in the Danish 2nd division for the last 6-9 months.

Not exactly good preparation for helping sort out our shambles.

Here and now we either need someone who can be an experienced "sticking plaster" whilst the whole structure and backroom organisation of the club is restructured, or someone who can take on the whole job, but we've seen where that can end a la MON

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2014, 07:12:40 PM »
Did Dalglish win a trophy?

Does the Award for 'The Biggest Waste of a Transfer Budget in the History of Football' count?
O'Neill has that.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2014, 07:15:30 PM »
wasnt to long back that the names that kept cropping up time after time after time was as certain pepe mel and a norwegian ex manc whos name i cant spell and as i look over the edge yes there they are below us.
any foriegn coach coming here who hasnt got millions to spend is in my mind a gamble

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »
wasnt to long back that the names that kept cropping up time after time after time was as certain pepe mel and a norwegian ex manc whos name i cant spell and as i look over the edge yes there they are below us.
any foriegn coach coming here who hasnt got millions to spend is in my mind a gamble

Fixed

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2014, 06:40:50 PM »
remember the days when the villa fans glass was always half full

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2014, 06:53:19 PM »
This whole debate is just a false premise

It's like saying 'I want our manager to be a former striker'

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2014, 06:55:27 PM »
This whole debate is just a false premise

It's like saying 'I want our manager to be a former striker'

Too right.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2014, 11:44:10 AM »
I would love Laudrup Villa, exp if he bought Laursen in as his no.2

Now that's another one I don't understand.
A former club player, or for that matter someone who was a good player, is instantly qualified to coach at a high level.

As annoying as he is as a pundit, Lawrenson was actually a good centre half in his day.  However his attempts to help his mate Keegan sort out Newcastle's defensive problems first time around, were a disaster.

It's the same mistake organisations the world over make. Just because someone is good at what they do, doesn't mean that they're good leaders or coaches for the departments they've been working in.

Laursen had 6 months in charge at his local club at the bottom of the Danish 3rd division if I can remember correctly, followed by 18 months away and has now been coaching the defence for Silkeborg in the Danish 2nd division for the last 6-9 months.

Not exactly good preparation for helping sort out our shambles.

Here and now we either need someone who can be an experienced "sticking plaster" whilst the whole structure and backroom organisation of the club is restructured, or someone who can take on the whole job, but we've seen where that can end a la MON

Exactly. Let's look at the playing careers of the managers of the top 4: Rodgers v limited, Mourinho none at all, Pellegrini spent his whole career in the Chilean second division, Wenger none at all.

I think increasingly managers are making it based on merit rather than playing career.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »
You see the same thing in tennis, where a lot of the top coaches have not been top players, but are very good at spotting and correcting problems with technique, and game strategy.

Just noticed my 1000th post and I end up talking about tennis in a thread about the merits of British coaches.

H&V in a microcosm.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:46:11 PM by Villa in Denmark »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal